slow APPLE iPhone question

Found 29th Dec 2017
So we all know they've been doing this for years. But what's this recent battery news thing? Are apple saying it's because of old batteries? If u update the battery it'll work snappy and fast again? I've always thought that it because old iPhone running latest software is obviously going to make it slower. I'm very confused as in to how a battery replacement will fix a slow iPhone? Can someone please elaborate?
Community Updates
AskAppleElectronicsPhones
15 Comments
With an old battery it will not hold the charge as long as a new one, to preserve the phone battery life they reduce the performance to extend the life of the phone. It came about when the iPhone 6S was experiencing random shutdowns and if it was an advertised feature it would have been great, they just seem pretty underhand how they’ve gone about it
Dannyrobbo3 h, 13 m ago

With an old battery it will not hold the charge as long as a new one, to …With an old battery it will not hold the charge as long as a new one, to preserve the phone battery life they reduce the performance to extend the life of the phone. It came about when the iPhone 6S was experiencing random shutdowns and if it was an advertised feature it would have been great, they just seem pretty underhand how they’ve gone about it

So for years when people have been saying updates slow down iPhones, it's not the case??? It's the battery that slows down iPhones?
machomansavage32 m ago

So for years when people have been saying updates slow down iPhones, it's …So for years when people have been saying updates slow down iPhones, it's not the case??? It's the battery that slows down iPhones?

Only since iOS 11.
Dannyrobbo1 h, 46 m ago

Only since iOS 11.

Right so a speed test against iOS 6 on a 4s would still kill a iOS 9 device with a new battery?
machomansavage37 m ago

Right so a speed test against iOS 6 on a 4s would still kill a iOS 9 …Right so a speed test against iOS 6 on a 4s would still kill a iOS 9 device with a new battery?

Course not old hardware aside, none of those devices have iOS 11.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 29th Dec 2017
Dannyrobbo5 m ago

Course not old hardware aside, none of those devices have iOS 11.

What's this about iOS 11?
machomansavage33 m ago

What's this about iOS 11?

The software that implemented this slowdown system was only in iOS 11 not earlier versions
The problem is that nowhere sells genuine iphone batteries so the only option is to have your pants pulled down by Apple again!. Unless you want to risk using dodgy replacement batteries that are available elsewhere then it's a lottery.

It's very annoying that you do a simple thing like change a component and they screw you over and make them not work correctly. Like my daughters iphone 6, Replaced her screen ( Because they're crap and can't withstand tiny drops ) and it all worked fine, Updated it and now touch ID won't work, Apple knows it's got a non oem screen so disables it because they think they're doing you a favour ( So they imply ). no reason for them to play god with your device. They're a vile company that blatantly screw there consumers from the first point of sale.
.MUFC.41 m ago

The problem is that nowhere sells genuine iphone batteries so the only …The problem is that nowhere sells genuine iphone batteries so the only option is to have your pants pulled down by Apple again!. Unless you want to risk using dodgy replacement batteries that are available elsewhere then it's a lottery.It's very annoying that you do a simple thing like change a component and they screw you over and make them not work correctly. Like my daughters iphone 6, Replaced her screen ( Because they're crap and can't withstand tiny drops ) and it all worked fine, Updated it and now touch ID won't work, Apple knows it's got a non oem screen so disables it because they think they're doing you a favour ( So they imply ). no reason for them to play god with your device. They're a vile company that blatantly screw there consumers from the first point of sale.

Why would anywhere sell a genuine battery though it doesn’t make business sense for Apple. I wouldn’t ever put one of those dodgy ones in off Ebay.

its Apple and it’s really annoying but they are a business and a very very successful one at that you either buy into it and accept it or buy another OS.

with the Touch ID thing it authenticates payment so I think that’s their angle, when I’ve fixed phones you should always transfer the original touch sensor (and cabling) and it’ll work every time if you still have the old screen transfer it over
Dannyrobbo49 m ago

The software that implemented this slowdown system was only in iOS 11 not …The software that implemented this slowdown system was only in iOS 11 not earlier versions

How have they slowed down devices before 11 then? Because it's happened since iOS 7 release
machomansavage10 m ago

How have they slowed down devices before 11 then? Because it's happened …How have they slowed down devices before 11 then? Because it's happened since iOS 7 release

According to a team of researchers it doesn’t Link! This doesn’t take into account the battery degradation stuff that’s new but have a read it’s quite interesting.

its not the actual phone that slows but more complex apps running on the older devices. The CPU and GPU have consistent Performance (prior to this battery thing)
Dannyrobbo14 m ago

Why would anywhere sell a genuine battery though it doesn’t make business s …Why would anywhere sell a genuine battery though it doesn’t make business sense for Apple. I wouldn’t ever put one of those dodgy ones in off Ebay.its Apple and it’s really annoying but they are a business and a very very successful one at that you either buy into it and accept it or buy another OS.with the Touch ID thing it authenticates payment so I think that’s their angle, when I’ve fixed phones you should always transfer the original touch sensor (and cabling) and it’ll work every time if you still have the old screen transfer it over

I did transfer the touch ID/Button cable and it worked fine until updating, I have repaired many and on the odd occasion when using a cheap LCD the touch ID wouldn't work but would work on the original cracked LCD after transferring the Touch ID components etc. Paid a little bit more to a different supplier and fine until updating etc. It's definitely Apple deciding to disable it.

Samsung, Nokia, LG and other companies allow the sale of genuine OEM batteries, Surely that is a lot safer than allowing third parties to create dodgy batteries and risk fire or other potential problems etc. Especially when battery faults on iphones are extremely common. Some aftermarket batteries are perfectly fine but Apple are Apple.

I'm pleased to read that Apple are reducing the cost of replacing the battery to £25, That's fairly reasonable and in future I would just pay Apple to replace it, They're also updating it so that you can monitor the health of the battery easily etc.. That's a good move.
.MUFC.56 m ago

I did transfer the touch ID/Button cable and it worked fine until …I did transfer the touch ID/Button cable and it worked fine until updating, I have repaired many and on the odd occasion when using a cheap LCD the touch ID wouldn't work but would work on the original cracked LCD after transferring the Touch ID components etc. Paid a little bit more to a different supplier and fine until updating etc. It's definitely Apple deciding to disable it. Samsung, Nokia, LG and other companies allow the sale of genuine OEM batteries, Surely that is a lot safer than allowing third parties to create dodgy batteries and risk fire or other potential problems etc. Especially when battery faults on iphones are extremely common. Some aftermarket batteries are perfectly fine but Apple are Apple.I'm pleased to read that Apple are reducing the cost of replacing the battery to £25, That's fairly reasonable and in future I would just pay Apple to replace it, They're also updating it so that you can monitor the health of the battery easily etc.. That's a good move.

I’ve never had an issue with the Touch ID not working transferring the sensor and even the tiny ribbon cable that goes across the back on the LCD.

Im not a fan of their anti consumer attitude, I mean the feature they’ve installed is pretty cool but to do it so covertly and hidden isn’t on.
Dannyrobbo9 h, 2 m ago

With an old battery it will not hold the charge as long as a new one, to …With an old battery it will not hold the charge as long as a new one, to preserve the phone battery life they reduce the performance to extend the life of the phone. It came about when the iPhone 6S was experiencing random shutdowns and if it was an advertised feature it would have been great, they just seem pretty underhand how they’ve gone about it

No, it was nothing to do with battery life: apple.com/iph…ce/

The issue is that peak power output goes down as the battery ages and the peak power output was close to the peak power draw of these phones. So either the phone has to shut down for lack of power (as it did pre-update) or limit peak power draw which has an impact on performance (as it does post-update).

It's a more manageable side effect of pushing battery tech to the limit than Samsung's exploding note 7s but whether Apple managed it well is debateable.
EndlessWaves21 m ago

No, it was nothing to do with battery life: …No, it was nothing to do with battery life: https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/The issue is that peak power output goes down as the battery ages and the peak power output was close to the peak power draw of these phones. So either the phone has to shut down for lack of power (as it did pre-update) or limit peak power draw which has an impact on performance (as it does post-update). It's a more manageable side effect of pushing battery tech to the limit than Samsung's exploding note 7s but whether Apple managed it well is debateable.

Unexpected shutdowns are totally to do with a batteries life (think lithium tech and a batteries life not battery life shuts down at 30% pre update and now it dynamically adjusts performance to stop this and get the most out of an aging battery. In layman’s terms that’s all it is.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions