Groups

Slow cooker recipe ideas?

Im after Healthy ideas for cooking in the slow cooker.

Also what type of beef is the best for using in these?
    I cant stand fatty and chewy beef,

Does anyone have any ideas I can use to make a meal where I am not spending hours in the kitchen

13 Comments

Original Poster

whatsThePoint

Cheapest beef is the best, whole point of slow cooker is it breaks down … Cheapest beef is the best, whole point of slow cooker is it breaks down chewy/tough meat while cooking it

Thank you, I will try a beef curry tomorrow, see how it turns out

slow cookers are fantastic!! i always use mine from doing currys to braising steak. But one of my favourites is this recipe my sister gave me (i think its originally one of Nigella Lawsons) it sounds strange but believe me.......it works!!!

you will need:

2kg ham joint
    1 large onion peeled and cut in half
    1 2ltr bottle of Coca-Cola (i like to use cherry coke)

For the glaze
    Handful cloves
    1 heaped tbsp black treacle
    2 tsp English mustard powder
    2 tbsp demerara sugar

take ham joint and place in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and remove from heat and drain (this takes out any excess salt in the ham)
    place it in your slow cooker throw in the onion and then pour the coke over the top so it covers the meat completely.
    Cook for 4hrs on low turning half way through.

Take out and remove skin, leaving a thin layer of fat. Score the fat with a sharp knife to make fairly large diamond shapes, and stud each diamond with a clove. Then carefully spread the treacle over the bark-budded skin taking care not to dislodge the cloves. Then gently pat the mustard and sugar onto the sticky fat. Cook, in a foil lined roasting tin for approximately 10 minutes or till the glaze is burnished and bubbly.
    Should you want to do the braising stage in advance and then let the ham cool, clove and glaze it and give it 30-40 minutes, from room temperature, at 180C/gas mark 4, turning up the heat towards the end if you think it needs it.

DEEEEEELISH!!

Love using my slow cooker - have made stews, sausage in onion gravy and even leg of lamb and joint of silverside. They just fall apart as they're so tender after being in the gravy all day slowly cooking. There's all different recipes to try etc. I've got a slow cooker recipe book but now just google recipes. Stewing or braising beef is good for slow cooker and really cheap.

Endgame

slow cookers are fantastic!! i always use mine from doing currys to … slow cookers are fantastic!! i always use mine from doing currys to braising steak. But one of my favourites is this recipe my sister gave me (i think its originally one of Nigella Lawsons) it sounds strange but believe me.......it works!!!you will need:2kg ham joint1 large onion peeled and cut in half1 2ltr bottle of Coca-Cola (i like to use cherry coke)For the glazeHandful cloves1 heaped tbsp black treacle2 tsp English mustard powder2 tbsp demerara sugartake ham joint and place in a pan of cold water, bring to the boil and remove from heat and drain (this takes out any excess salt in the ham)place it in your slow cooker throw in the onion and then pour the coke over the top so it covers the meat completely.Cook for 4hrs on low turning half way through.Take out and remove skin, leaving a thin layer of fat. Score the fat with a sharp knife to make fairly large diamond shapes, and stud each diamond with a clove. Then carefully spread the treacle over the bark-budded skin taking care not to dislodge the cloves. Then gently pat the mustard and sugar onto the sticky fat. Cook, in a foil lined roasting tin for approximately 10 minutes or till the glaze is burnished and bubbly.Should you want to do the braising stage in advance and then let the ham cool, clove and glaze it and give it 30-40 minutes, from room temperature, at 180C/gas mark 4, turning up the heat towards the end if you think it needs it.DEEEEEELISH!!

I've always wanted to try this and never got round to it - thanks for the recipe! Will give it a go at the weekend I think.

Original Poster

Thank you both
    Endgame that does sound very strange but I can imagine very tasty, I may have to try that one on my husband first

Kaks thank you for the Sausage idea too, I seem to forget you can cook anything in these, i just think of stew and it puts me off using the thing!

Im wondering if its too late to cook one at 11:30 ish, something like beef curry, or will it be too late?
    Maybe sausages will be best today due to time, and tomorrow I can do the beef as soon as baby goes to pre-school!

I normally stick mine on about 8.30am when its beef or lamb so not sure if it may be too late for a curry. Depends on the temperature you would use - mine has low, medium and auto and when you would be eating it? The sausages would be easier probably today as they don't need as long as meat pieces even though you can leave it for hours they're usually ready to eat before we actually sit down to them.

Original Poster

csiman

http://www.justslowcooking.com/index.html

Thank you for that, I will have a good look through it

Kaks, I think I will put off doing the beef one till tomorrow, Looking forward to a proper meal for once! Sick of noodles lol Been on a noodle fix for past 2 weeks!

Banned

this is amazing imo

Slow Cooker Coq Au Vin

Servings – 2 people
    Ingredients
    2 slices bacon
    2 chicken legs / 2 wings
    20ml cup cognac

1 large onion
    2 cloves garlic, minced / sliced
    2 large potatoes
    1 large mushrooms, sliced
    1 carrot

1/8 teaspoon thyme
    1/8 teaspoon salt (no salt if stock cube used)
    1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 tablespoon tomato paste
    450ml chicken stock (knorr stock cube is best)
    150ml dry red wine
    Instructions
    Cook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet to drain but reserve the bacon fat.

Brown chicken pieces on all sides in reserved bacon grease. Add onion and brown chicken & onion, pour cognac over it and ignite with a match..
    Put Chicken & onion in slow cooker.
    Add garlic and mushrooms, bacon, carrot and peeled potatoes (cut into small chunks)
    Using leftover juices from the skillet, add wine & boil until alcohol evaporated, then add stock & tomato paste and mix
    Once mixed, add pepper and thyme and pour over chicken.
    Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

csiman

this is amazing imoSlow Cooker Coq Au VinServings – 2 peopleIngredients2 s … this is amazing imoSlow Cooker Coq Au VinServings – 2 peopleIngredients2 slices bacon 2 chicken legs / 2 wings 20ml cup cognac 1 large onion2 cloves garlic, minced / sliced2 large potatoes1 large mushrooms, sliced 1 carrot1/8 teaspoon thyme 1/8 teaspoon salt (no salt if stock cube used)1/8 teaspoon pepper 1 tablespoon tomato paste 450ml chicken stock (knorr stock cube is best)150ml dry red wineInstructionsCook bacon in a large skillet until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet to drain but reserve the bacon fat. Brown chicken pieces on all sides in reserved bacon grease. Add onion and brown chicken & onion, pour cognac over it and ignite with a match.. Put Chicken & onion in slow cooker. Add garlic and mushrooms, bacon, carrot and peeled potatoes (cut into small chunks)Using leftover juices from the skillet, add wine & boil until alcohol evaporated, then add stock & tomato paste and mixOnce mixed, add pepper and thyme and pour over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

Ooh that looks nice! Need to try that one as well - thanks!

Original Poster

bernie thank you so much for taking the time to post those links, They are great, I will make some nice meals using those sites.

csiman that sounds scrummy, I am going to have a go at that soon,

My husband will be pleased with all your ideas as he has been stuck on my noodle diet for weeks with me
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1217
      2. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News45
      3. PlayStation Hacked Again?33
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?33193

See more discussions