Groups

Slow Cookers

Hi, thinking of getting a slow cooker. Don't want one of them kitchen gadgets that doesn't get used after a few tries!

Does anyone have one, are they worth buying and which one would you recommend?

33 Comments

My wife often uses ours...........they are great. The meat is always lovely and tender. As for recommendations, i don't know which is meant to be good etc but i guess they all do the same thing.

We use ours quite a lot.... Especially this time of year, get home from work and nice hot food waiting for you....

I use mine when ever possible as you cant beat the results for nice tender meat.
    The only thing I would say is be careful with some of the cheap ones as the lids tend to break. (mainly the handle comes off the top)
    Good luck and happy cooking!!!

Banned

I don't get the point in these - just put your oven on the lowest temperature and you have a slow cooker. I cook joints for about 6 hours in our oven and they tastes awesome.

Fad in my opinion - waste of money.

Use it loads, this weather its great. As Sy says the all do the same thing, don't think any one is particularly better.
    You just throw the ingredients in and forget about it!

JonnyTwoToes

I don't get the point in these - just put your oven on the lowest … I don't get the point in these - just put your oven on the lowest temperature and you have a slow cooker. I cook joints for about 6 hours in our oven and they tastes awesome.Fad in my opinion - waste of money.

But very economical energywise. Using marginally more than a lightbulb.

Banned

WoolyM

But very economical energywise. Using marginally more than a lightbulb.

Really? I didn't know that. That may be a good reason to buy one then.

Original Poster

Thanks all, i'm convinced. Like you all said great for this weather and coming home to a hot dinner with not much effort.

We use ours a fair bit, stews, curries, chillies. Much more economical than an oven method. Go for it, they are that cheap now you don't have to use it very often to make it worth it. As far as which one, I would say they are all basicall ythe same apart from capacity wise. For a family I'd say a minimum 4 litre.

Original Poster

greg_68

We use ours a fair bit, stews, curries, chillies. Much more economical … We use ours a fair bit, stews, curries, chillies. Much more economical than an oven method. Go for it, they are that cheap now you don't have to use it very often to make it worth it. As far as which one, I would say they are all basicall ythe same apart from capacity wise. For a family I'd say a minimum 4 litre.

Thanks that was going to be my next question of what capacity i would need for a family

JonnyTwoToes

I don't get the point in these - just put your oven on the lowest … I don't get the point in these - just put your oven on the lowest temperature and you have a slow cooker. I cook joints for about 6 hours in our oven and they tastes awesome.Fad in my opinion - waste of money.

You call 6 hours slow? I do stews for the best part of 24 hours in our slow cookers, then when we have eaten some add some more veg and meat, its fantastic.

Banned

harlzter

You call 6 hours slow? I do stews for the best part of 24 hours in our … You call 6 hours slow? I do stews for the best part of 24 hours in our slow cookers, then when we have eaten some add some more veg and meat, its fantastic.

24 hours? I don't see the point in cooking something for that long. I wonder what the economical difference is between 6 hours in a low oven and 24 hours in a slow cooker?

We use ours a lot this time of year too - beef stew and dumplings mmmm. More economical also in respect that u can often buy cheaper cuts of meat (brisket etc.) as the slow cooking makes it more tender.

If you are really tight with money (like me!) buy a basic cheapie one - as the lids do break as ryant said, but most just take a normal large saucepan lid. Also don't bother buying recipe books as loads online.

i use mine all the time too they are great
    i have this one
    amazon.co.uk/Mor…WH1

Lilly_White

Thanks that was going to be my next question of what capacity i would … Thanks that was going to be my next question of what capacity i would need for a family

Ours is a combination slow/rice/porridge/steamer cooker by Tefal and it does 4 hungry mouths nicely with a bit left to start the next days meal, I think thats about 3.5l its similar to this (I think the difference being ours is white) Tefal

Having stews done in these is versatile though, delicious in a bowl with some freshly baked cobs (part baked from supermarket) take about 10 minutes to do, serve with jacket potatoes, or even chips, great for when you have been out all day and you have something ready almost instantly!

Chicken casseroles, currys, sweet and sour are all easy to do.

If you like gammon joints you would love them done in a slow cooker, the only problem is once you take them out they literally fall to bits they are that moist and tender,.

When our old faithful one that dated back from the 70's died we bought a cheap replacement, big mistake! They have two settings low and high, the low barely keeps food warm, the high burnt it.

ALWAYS READ REVIEWS BEFORE COMMITTING TO A PURCHASE!

A bad one will put you off for life, a good one will make you think "how did I manage without one?"

JonnyTwoToes

Really? I didn't know that. That may be a good reason to buy one then.

Definitely much cheaper than using the oven. I used to slow roast legs of lamb for hours in the oven till I realised doing it in the slow cooker cost pennies.

I love using the slow cooker for lamb, silverside, stew, casseroles, even do sausages in onion gravy. I've got a Morphy Richards 6.5 litre which is massive but I need it for my huge brood. Got it when someone posted it on here for £20 or something and definitely worth the money. If you're only cooking for 2 or 3 then you'd only need a 3 litre capacity or get a big one like mine and make double or triple the amount and freeze into portions for later use.

5.8 litre one for £24 delivered.

hotukdeals.com/dea…202
    Edited by: "greg_68" 29th Nov 2010

I agree with kaks. we cook whole chickens, beef joint etc and they dont dry out like they can do in an oven.........ive just bought a bigger one from argos 6.5 litre one for £20

Original Poster

Thanks again everyone, will have a look on amazon and choose one based on reviews. Will let you know which one i have gone for :-)

Original Poster

Would a 3.5 litre slow cooker be big enough to hold a whole chicken?

Lilly_White

only a small one , thats why we bought a bigger one tbh

would recommend i love mine so handy for casseroles and cooking meat it tends to taste better

Lilly_White

i doubt it
    tbh u would be better of buying a larger one they are not much more

6.2 litre in Argos for £15

hotukdeals.com/dea…498

I am sure ours is a 4.5 litre one and we find this big enough for 5.
    Edited by: "greg_68" 29th Nov 2010

Original Poster

ok, decided to go for a 6 litre one but want a black one and the only ones i can find is silver, oh and want a good make

have a look at this one on ebay 250703113230
    best price i can find on a black one

A day!?? I do a joint of beef (for 3 ppl) in 9hr.. Im surprised at the 24hr thing tbh, maybe thats more down to choice, if it weren't I question how economical it was too!

JonnyTwoToes

24 hours? I don't see the point in cooking something for that long. I … 24 hours? I don't see the point in cooking something for that long. I wonder what the economical difference is between 6 hours in a low oven and 24 hours in a slow cooker?

Banned

JonnyTwoToes

one way of burning money I suppose. Literally

I've just been looking on the Which website and this is what they recommend size wise
    Slow cooker size
    Slow cooker sizes vary. The largest have 6-litre cooking pots with a useable volume of 4.5 litres. This can contain enough stew for six to eight adults.

Common smaller sizes include 3.5 litres cooking pots with a useable volume of 2 litres. These are large enough to feed at least two people.

which.co.uk/hom…ed/

Don't have a subscription so can't tell you which ones they ranked best....

Edited by: "gari189" 29th Nov 2010

Nikki999

A day!?? I do a joint of beef (for 3 ppl) in 9hr.. Im surprised at the … A day!?? I do a joint of beef (for 3 ppl) in 9hr.. Im surprised at the 24hr thing tbh, maybe thats more down to choice, if it weren't I question how economical it was too! I wonder what the economical difference is between 6 hours in a low oven and 24 hours in a slow cooker?

[/quote]

Sorry should have clarified the first 8 hours is "cooking" the rest is on "keep warm" which actually thickens the liquid, I have tried from just cooking straight to serve and taste wise there is a big difference in the gravy, needs less adding to it.

On keep warm it uses around 40 watts which is nothing really, it would take 25 hours to use 1 unit of juice at about 12p.

Bought one about 6 months ago, wished i'd bought it years ago. It really is fab!

Just starting this one going for tomorrow.

Brisket RecipeI just cooked brisket yesterday!I found a recipe on the net … Brisket RecipeI just cooked brisket yesterday!I found a recipe on the net that was absolutely delicious.Slice up an onion, and toss it into the slowcooker.Rub some crushed garlic over the meat.Mix 2 tablespoons of ketchup,2 tablespoons red wine vinegar (I used Balsamic)1 tablespoon brown sugarSalt and pepper.Put brisket into the slowcooker, and spoon the mix over it.Then about half a cup of water with a stock cube to cover the bottom of the pot.

I am sealing it first in hot olive oil though, and adding some nice fresh veg and a bit of celery
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764211
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846169
      3. What do these 2 men have in common912
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?31137

See more discussions