Groups

Slow Downloading.... Is it my Computer or BT broadband?

Just recently my computer has become really slow at downloading images on all websites, Text downloads very fast as normal.
    It's worse when i use You Tube, The videos start then stop, start again then stop Like buffering sort off.
    It's never done this before.
    Is there anything i can do to make my computer run faster? or do you think it's my Broadband connection.

26 Comments

check your BB on [url]www.speedtest.net[/url] and mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/

try a speed test for starters and go from there

speedtest.net/

BT also have there own speed test that they use to help diagnose problems and will ask you to try it if you phone up. It is:

]http//sp…om/

This gives you more information about your line, profile etc as well as the actual speed and, if it shows a problem, a good starting point to discuss with BT.

Dave

Original Poster

Ok just done the speedtest
    Result....
    Download 0.13 mbs

Upload 0.71 mbs

Distance from server 50 miles

Are theses speeds bad?

yes what service are you using a mobile dongle as they are terrible speeds

You sure you ain't got another computer downloading from bitcomet at full bandwidth or someone else in your house is utilizing full bandwidth of line doing something else is your router also security protected from neighbours using your wireless etc

MrPinchPenny;8183716

Ok just done the speedtest Result.... Download 0.13 mbsUpload … Ok just done the speedtest Result.... Download 0.13 mbsUpload 0.71 mbsDistance from server 50 milesAre theses speeds bad?

Well, it depends what package you have but, as a start, your download should be far faster than your upload! That download figure is appalling unless you are on dial-up! :whistling:

MrPinchPenny;8183716

Ok just done the speedtest Result.... Download 0.13 mbsUpload … Ok just done the speedtest Result.... Download 0.13 mbsUpload 0.71 mbsDistance from server 50 milesAre theses speeds bad?

really bad, i would ring bt to do a line check, does your phone line crackle?

ring on 151 to scottish fault line

Original Poster

I'm using BT broadband option 2

No line doesn't crackle, it's fine

reset your hub then retest (there should be a reset button on the back, failing that flick it off at the wall)

- you will proberly find speed improves

My bt has just gone slow. I just reset my router.

Original Poster

I'll try it now

MrPinchPenny;8183747

I'm using BT broadband option 2No line doesn't crackle, it's fine

I had this same problem, bt were updating our exchange, ring bt on 151 from your bt phone and ask for a line test due to slow speeds as you should be getting about 6mb with option 2.

Also do a hard reset on your router, if it's the black one, bottom button on the right side, hold for 5 secs then release.

faevilangel;8183781

I had this same problem, bt were updating our exchange, ring bt on 151 … I had this same problem, bt were updating our exchange, ring bt on 151 from your bt phone and ask for a line test due to slow speeds as you should be getting about 6mb with option 2.Also do a hard reset on your router, if it's the black one, bottom button on the right side, hold for 5 secs then release.

With option 2 you get up to 8mb, unless your exchange has been upgraded to recieve upto 20mb,

all bt options are the same speeds, the usage is the thing that differs

MrPinchPenny;8183716

yes those stats r very bad, ring bt if none of the above have worked like rebooting ur router, also what does you line support? u can find this out by going to samknows and click broadband checker, if thats fine raise a fault with your isp in ur case BT

nono2522;8183799

With option 2 you get up to 8mb, unless your exchange has been upgraded … With option 2 you get up to 8mb, unless your exchange has been upgraded to recieve upto 20mb, all bt options are the same speeds, the usage is the thing that differs

Yeah but no one gets that, I get 7.4 MB but I live literally 1000 yards from the exchange.

The average is 6mb with bt

Original Poster

The Hub reset didn't have any effect,
    I'll will ring BT and get it sorted.
    Thanks to all of you who replied, i'll leave rep for you all
    Thank you.

Make sure you reset your router

http://www.speedtest.net/result/758303479.png

http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/22146031.png

faevilangel;8183846

Yeah but no one gets that, I get 7.4 MB but I live literally 1000 yards … Yeah but no one gets that, I get 7.4 MB but I live literally 1000 yards from the exchange.The average is 6mb with bt

lots of people get that :roll:

Adam2050;8183906

http://www.speedtest.net/result/758325019.png

:-D

^ show off

deek72;8184122

Poser :-D:-D

I'm guessing that most sites download a lot slower than that as they have smaller pipes than you!

Dave [still jealous tho']

deek72;8184122

Fibre Optic?

dontasciime;8184177

^ show off

Sorry :oops:

Wirral_guy;8184191

Poser :-D:-DI'm guessing that most sites download a lot slower than that … Poser :-D:-DI'm guessing that most sites download a lot slower than that as they have smaller pipes than you!Dave [still jealous tho']

Astraweb have ginormous pipes!:-D But you're right, browsing the web doesn't seem significantly faster.

Adam2050;8184443

Fibre Optic?

Yup, plain old Virgin Media fibre optic 50 meg.

can some one guide me thru speednet :oops:

I have been having issues that last week or so myself on O2 llu with youtube, and my friend who has BT 40 miles away with almost perfect line stats and a direct cable to exchange(gets like 7 meg) has slow youtube, even a 3 minute video can take 2-5 minutes to load so it may also be Iplayer
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1313
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 3911
      4. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine11

See more discussions