Groups

Slow DVD Drive

When checking the log on DVD decrypter it shows me this img682.imageshack.us/img…jpg

Takes at least 20 mins to rip a dvd to my hard drive on a brand new PC.

Does this mean that my SATA cable is disconnected. Ive opened the PC up but cannot see anywhere to place the cable.

Not really sure what Im looking for properly so some advise would be good. Cheers.

7 Comments

Original Poster

http://img682.imageshack.us/img682/6576/capturedyn.jpg

Banned

if the sata was disconnected it wouldnt work at all

20 minutes isnt so bad, its about 4x speed (at a guess)
    what are you comparing the overall speed to?

Original Poster

jubbyme;7965143

if the sata was disconnected it wouldnt work at all20 minutes isnt so … if the sata was disconnected it wouldnt work at all20 minutes isnt so bad, its about 4x speed (at a guess)what are you comparing the overall speed to?

Oh ok, yeah its arount 4-5

Was comparing it to an old crappy laptop I used to own. Thought some of it had to do with the CPU.

Im now guessing its all about the Read speed of the DVD drive is that correct?

Banned

yes, but the read speed of any new drive is potentially 16x but this is the end speed, not an average

at 20 minutes you average around4-5 times, which I would say is around normal

so long as the disc is clean, do you hear it seeking around (the head moving a lot) or does it sound like its more purposeful? it should be fine

a straight extraction has little to do with processor, but conversion of the file sure does

for the amount of data on a dvd, approx 4gb for the main movie, i still think this is normal
    are you sure you did the same process on another machine and it was significantly faster?

Original Poster

jubbyme;7965176

yes, but the read speed of any new drive is potentially 16x but this is … yes, but the read speed of any new drive is potentially 16x but this is the end speed, not an averageat 20 minutes you average around4-5 times, which I would say is around normalso long as the disc is clean, do you hear it seeking around (the head moving a lot) or does it sound like its more purposeful? it should be finea straight extraction has little to do with processor, but conversion of the file sure doesfor the amount of data on a dvd, approx 4gb for the main movie, i still think this is normalare you sure you did the same process on another machine and it was significantly faster?

Oh I see. Thanks for clearing that up

No it all sounds fine, I think technology has just made me impatient! Expect everything to be done immediately.

I can encode a dvd to an mp4 ipod video in about the same time it takes to rip to my hard drive. Hate waiting :x

Repped btw

Banned

Yes, extraction speeds havent gone up for ages, dvd's operate at 4-5x (max 16 but you dont get that overall) on average and have done for about 5 years or more

whereas processing is about 10 times faster than a machine from 5 years ago

glad to be informative

Banned

20 mins is quite good to crack the protection and unencrypt.

I think you are seeing ATA as probably SATA didnt exist when DVD Decrypter was last updated (around 2002!).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …233737
      2. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2837
      3. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals30404
      4. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!523452

See more discussions