Slow Internet Connection Help

55 replies
Found 23rd Feb 2009
Hi - I've just switched from Orange Standard Braodband modem to orange wireless router. Nearly every website I go on to is taking an eternity to open including my beloved hot deals. Can anyone advise if there is anything I can do. surely the connection shud be faster than this. I'm at my whits end and am going to unplug the blasted thing and go back to my old modem which was super fast anyway. I only got the wireless for the wii and laptop but at this connection speed is absolutely pointless. Can you spot I'm peeved off?? Thanks for all help Much appreciated as always

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
55 Comments

It is probably nothing to do with the router but a problem on your line,the first thing to do is do a speed test,
speedtest.net/ind…php
Click on the yellow pyramid and see what your speed is then come back

Use this link to find out what speed you are actually getting:
mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/

This one will tell you whether there are any problems at your exchange:
usertools.plus.net/exc…es/

and the forums here are a good place to discuss your problems:
forums.thinkbroadband.com/

i can't remember which particular forum, but I have seen people post the stats from their router and get advice on improving the speed.

Cotterpin;4467958

Use this link to find out what speed you are actually … Use this link to find out what speed you are actually getting:http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/This one will tell you whether there are any problems at your exchange:http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/and the forums here are a good place to discuss your problems:http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/i can't remember which particular forum, but I have seen people post the stats from their router and get advice on improving the speed.

Thanks for the link to the usertools website,This is a great way to keep an eye on whats going on,Just discovered my line is being update on the 3 march,

Mine's being upgraded in March. Hopefully my line speed will crawl above 1MBps then.

As you are on Orange Broadband - you may be experiencing the same probs that Benjimoron had some months back:
If you find that you can get to the websites ok when you type the IP address into your address bar then you should try altering the DNS settings which will resolve it for you. Orange are known to have issues with DNS look-ups!

Full thread here:
hotukdeals.com/for…180

Original Poster

Thanks guys good advice as always. My BB Speed is just being calculated. will post it in 2 mins if you dont mind hanging around - I guess because of my poor connection speed it may take a few mins to run.

If you're posting while its calculating you will affect the result. The speedcheck only takes a couple of mins. Set it running and wait until its done.

I'm having a lot of problems with orange. Very slow speeds and pages not opening. I'm on the phone what seems like every other night. I have promises of call backs that never come. I've had a recovery disc sent out to recover the live box, had BT to check the line ans still not better. My line suppose to support 7.5 meg and I'm getting 0.3 if I'm lucky. Spoke to someone tonight and made an official complaint and I'm suppose to be having a call back tomorrow at 5 o'clock.. I'm not holding my breath.

I could of got out about 3 months ago but I again fell for the carrot again and now I'm tied into another 12 months. They said it was my computer, Internet congestion, my wireless connections but never any of their equipment.. I might just buy the contract out and move to 02..

I hope you have more luck then me with these cowboys... An awful company to deal with.. :x

edna - is your livebox plugged directly into the master socket?
Do you have extensions running off of the master?
Do you have broadband filters on each device connected to your phone line - fax, phones, skybox etc?
Have you tried 'disconnecting the ringer wire'?

Original Poster

Hi - The download speed is only 44kbps and the upload is 86kbps. I've got serious problems and edna clouds problems with orange don't hold out much hope for me either. Any ideas?

Original Poster

jayhab;4468574

edna - is your livebox plugged directly into the master socket?Do you … edna - is your livebox plugged directly into the master socket?Do you have extensions running off of the master?Do you have broadband filters on each device connected to your phone line - fax, phones, skybox etc?Have you tried 'disconnecting the ringer wire'?

I don't have a filter on my hd box which i got last wee. I have a spare so will try that now.

Original Poster

jayhab;4468574

edna - is your livebox plugged directly into the master socket?Do you … edna - is your livebox plugged directly into the master socket?Do you have extensions running off of the master?Do you have broadband filters on each device connected to your phone line - fax, phones, skybox etc?Have you tried 'disconnecting the ringer wire'?

I don't have a filter on my hd box which i got last week. I have a spare so will try that now.

dinglebin;4468608

I don't have a filter on my hd box which i got last week. I have a spare … I don't have a filter on my hd box which i got last week. I have a spare so will try that now.

BINGO!
Unless you are using a filtered faceplate on the BT master socket - you must have a filter on every device that is connected to the phoneline - that means Skt boxes, fax machines and EVERY telephone handset!

Have you changed any settings on you livebox,you could try a master reset
Pull the power lead out of the livebox (leaving it still plugged into the wall socket)
Hold down the 1 button on the back of the Livebox
Plug the power lead back into the Livebox
Keep holding the 1 button for 10 seconds after you have plugged the power lead back in, and then let go.
Give the Livebox about 2 minutes to reboot itself.

jayhab;4468616

BINGO!

+1

jayhab;4468574

The live box is on a six inch extension through a wall into my conservatory..
I have filters on all of my extensions.. Livebox, sky and multiroom.
What is the ringer wire?

I've done a reboot on the livebox... Several times..

If you can get the stats from your router this site will tell you what speeds you should be able to get on your line:
fremnet.net/art…tor

Original Poster

tonyg1962;4468623

Have you changed any settings on you livebox,you could try a master … Have you changed any settings on you livebox,you could try a master resetPull the power lead out of the livebox (leaving it still plugged into the wall socket) Hold down the 1 button on the back of the Livebox Plug the power lead back into the Livebox Keep holding the 1 button for 10 seconds after you have plugged the power lead back in, and then let go. Give the Livebox about 2 minutes to reboot itself.

I've just plugged the filter in and re run the test and the speed ahs now gone up to 542kbps download and 379kbps upload. Is that better? I don't have a live box it's a Siemens router. How do I reboot that. there are no buttons to press?

Original Poster

Cotterpin;4468664

If you can get the stats from your router this site will tell you what … If you can get the stats from your router this site will tell you what speeds you should be able to get on your line:http://fremnet.net/article/216/adsl-theoretical-speed-calculator

Thanks but it is asking for the downstream attenuation. whats that?

edna_clouds;4468645

What is the ringer wire?..

If that is your only extension from your Master socket, then it may not make any difference - if on the other hand, it is one of deveral extensions running throughout your house, then you may well benefit from a little tinkering!

rob-r.co.uk/oth…htm

you need to scroll down about 3/4 of the way down the page to where it says 'what's all this about the ring wire removal?'
It's a really simple procedure and totally reversable too! - When I carried it out I saw my line speed double instantly!

dinglebin;4468688

I've just plugged the filter in and re run the test and the speed ahs now … I've just plugged the filter in and re run the test and the speed ahs now gone up to 542kbps download and 379kbps upload. Is that better? I don't have a live box it's a Siemens router. How do I reboot that. there are no buttons to press?

It's an improvement certainly - but it's still not great.
Have you tried disconnecting all other devices - sky boxes and phone handsets and just running a speedtest with only the router connected to the master socket (if possible)?
This will tell you if it's a problem with the router or a rogue filter/extension

dinglebin;4468747

If you go into your router status and show statistics it will be one of the values in there.

It is the amount of 'noise' on your line - hence the measurement in decibels. The more noise, the lower the speed your line can support.

dinglebin;4468747

Downstream attenuation is the value given to the strength of your downstream (receiving) signal - you will find it if you log into your router and look at your router stats page - it will be a reading measured in xxdb.

Original Poster

Sorry for the delay guys hope ur still there. The Downstream Attenuation is 25db and upstream is 13db. noise margin is 15db upstream and 25 downstream.

With that attenuation you should be getting mega speeds - though with a noise margin of 25db - it looks as though Orange may have capped your line - possibly due to errors on the line from not having a filter connected to your Sky HD box.

Have you tried disconnecting all other devies and seeing what your stats/speedtest results say then?

If with everything else disconnected you still get the same stats, i'd say it's highly likely theat Orange has capped your line - should be resolved with a phonecall to the right department!

You should be on a well speedy line at that.

Try disconnecting everything else from the phoneline & plugging the router directly into the back of the master socket (see the ringer wire removal instructions). If you've still got problems then, raise an issue with your ISP. It could be a line fault, or the line could need 'retraining'.

However, if that improves your speed dramatically the fault is on your side of the phone circuit, i.e.filters, equipment, etc.

PS - I dream of 25db

Original Poster

jayhab;4469334

With that attenuation you should be getting mega speeds - though with a … With that attenuation you should be getting mega speeds - though with a noise margin of 25db - it looks as though Orange may have capped your line - possibly due to errors on the line from not having a filter connected to your Sky HD box.Have you tried disconnecting all other devies and seeing what your stats/speedtest results say then?If with everything else disconnected you still get the same stats, i'd say it's highly likely theat Orange has capped your line - should be resolved with a phonecall to the right department!

yeah sorry i forgot to say I have re-run the speed test and got slightly slower results but only marginally. I guess that means that I haven't got an issue with the filters. Are u saying that because I forgot to put a filter in my sky box that Orange have capped my line. What sort of errors do you mean. If I can have some more detail I can perhaps try and blag my case to the technical team!!

A noise margin of 25db is not right - to get the best out of your Broadband line, it should hover around 6 - 7db. The higher the noise margin the lower the connection speed will be.

dinglebin;4469387

yeah sorry i forgot to say I have re-run the speed test and got slightly … yeah sorry i forgot to say I have re-run the speed test and got slightly slower results but only marginally. I guess that means that I haven't got an issue with the filters. Are u saying that because I forgot to put a filter in my sky box that Orange have capped my line. What sort of errors do you mean. If I can have some more detail I can perhaps try and blag my case to the technical team!!

Trying to put it simply: not having a filter on your line has meant that the Sky box has been trying to use the same part of the signal as your broadband. so when the info is sent to you, it reaches your house, but then gets garbled when it 'hits' the info coming from your Sky box - this then creates errors in your router. when errors stack up, it can cause disconnections.
On standard ADSL circuits, these disconnections and errors will be logged by your ISP and will cause the line to 'retrain' usually to a lower speed in an effort to reduce the errors.
On an ADSL2+ line there is no retraining - though the ISP can cap your linespeed - again in an effort to reduce the errors.

If you ring Orange, you will need to get through to the technical helpdesk (rather than the normal monkeys!) and advise then that you had an issue with your internal wiring which you have now resolved and would like the cap removing (if they have imposed one - which i think they have!).

I note that you say you have re-run the speedtests etc - but have you plugged the router into the test socket? - this is the socket behind the front plate of a modern BT Master Socket (the type with a horizontal line on the front, - you can unscrew the front part and behind is another socket - using this one isolates all other extensions in the home) - using this one will definately confirm that you have no issues with the rest of your wiring - if you find a vast improvemnt in the test socket - then you need to do a spot of fault finding with your wiring!

Original Poster

I'd just like to thank you guys for all your help this evening. You've given me some really good advice and it is much appreciated. Thanks for your patience. :thumbsup:
Its late now so I will try and contact Orange and test the line from the main socket tomorrow. Cheers again and good night

No worries.
N.B. the Test socket is the one you need to try the router in - it's 'inside' your Master socket (if you have a modern BT master socket aka NTE5)
Good Luck - pm me if you need any more help

A SNR of 25 suggests a fixed rate product, 2meg, 1meg, 1/2meg

..and/or capped?

I've had a look in the configurations page and I've got noise margin (db) 16.6 and Attenuation (db) 17.0. I'm on a 8mb download with my line capable of receiving 6.5 mb and has done.. You them figures mean anything to you Jay?

Are those for Upstream or Downstream?

Need your downstream figures.

Just out of interest, on the config page - what is your Connection Speed being reported as?

jayhab;4470305

Are those for Upstream or Downstream?Need your downstream figures.

I don't know,,:oops:

This is what it says..

Connection mode : G.DMT
Type : Interleave
Noise margin (dB) : 16.6
Attenuation (dB) : 17.0
Attainable download rate (kbps) : 11072
ADSL status : Connected [0]

Those stats are *probably* your downstream stats then. Also states that your line would be able to handle a connection speed of just over 11 meg - which would be about right for an attenuation of 17db.
A noise margin of 16.6db would either mean a really really good phone line or a slight cap has been imposed.
What does a speedtest tell you? Run this one: speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/
I still think the issues are with your own wiring and a build up of errors on the line though. - Possibly that new extension that you have recently installed!?

That's the best speed test I've had for a while. I have disconected everything exept for the modem and main phone line.
I've done two tests,,
First..
Download speed.. 3607 upload.. 153

second..

Download... 6102 upload.. 212..

Could this be also down to not so many on-line at this time of night?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Wanted: Sweet Sundays code (5 points) please!!11
    2. School shoes - with lights77
    3. Has anyone used an online quote website for new windows?33
    4. Aliexpress - To be trusted?11

See more discussions