Groups

Slow net

My internet is running like a dog at the moment - Grrrr! Every now and then my Virgin line is very slooooooooooooooooooow! So frustrating!

18 Comments

mine is doing the same for the past half hour........BT

Follow these instructions:

If you are with Virgin media and going to use the internet to any great extent during the peak hours (daylight hours 10am-9pm, I know it sucks) and don't want to be throttled after the threshold level (details here allyours.virginmedia.com/htm…tml) has been met there is a way to avoid it.

If you phone them up after being throttled they will unthrottle you and say next time try and determine your downloads. However just phone them every time they throttle you and they just continue to unthrottle you. I know it isn't the ideal system especially on a what is meant to be an *unlimited* package but it might help some people that just want to finish downloading something fairly quickly and not wait for the throttle to end before finishing.

+1 needed that tip O_O.....its so slow for me....60kb/s max....im on 10meg ffs

Original Poster

electriclinux;5421323

Follow these instructions:If you are with Virgin media and going to use … Follow these instructions:If you are with Virgin media and going to use the internet to any great extent during the peak hours (daylight hours 10am-9pm, I know it sucks) and don't want to be throttled after the threshold level (details here http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html) has been met there is a way to avoid it.If you phone them up after being throttled they will unthrottle you and say next time try and determine your downloads. However just phone them every time they throttle you and they just continue to unthrottle you. I know it isn't the ideal system especially on a what is meant to be an *unlimited* package but it might help some people that just want to finish downloading something fairly quickly and not wait for the throttle to end before finishing.

Thanks for info but im sure that shouldnt apply to me, i am a moderate downloader - maybe i have a virus? i have heard some slow your internet down - i ran a complete system scan with avast and several trojans popped up, i always scan my downloads but they still get through sometimes no matter what you do:?

h2k92;5421359

+1 needed that tip O_O.....its so slow for me....60kb/s max....im on … +1 needed that tip O_O.....its so slow for me....60kb/s max....im on 10meg ffs

wow how can that be? im on 10mbps and mostly got 9.7

some standard trick/maintenance tips for better internet connection:

1. always clear your trace (cache, temporary internet files, cookies, browsing history) at least once a week.

2. tune up your windows

3. boost/hack your tcp/ip connection

4. boost/hack your browser

all of these can be done by advance systemcare (for firefox) or glary utilities

Use avg, do a complete scan, then do a system fragmentation. If not see if virgin media are throttling you.

Original Poster

h2k92;5421359

+1 needed that tip O_O.....its so slow for me....60kb/s max....im on … +1 needed that tip O_O.....its so slow for me....60kb/s max....im on 10meg ffs

Exactly the same here on 10meg and getting 60kb/s - not happy!:x

If your internet connection speed went from fast to slow it is likely you are being throttled.

Original Poster

1. always clear your trace (cache, temporary internet files, cookies, browsing history) at least once a week.

how?

there seems to be an ever increasing throttling nature

net speeds increase yet throttling does so equally

If you are using firefox under tools - clear private data

nuabdi;5421462

some standard trick/maintenance tips for better internet connection:1. … some standard trick/maintenance tips for better internet connection:1. always clear your trace (cache, temporary internet files, cookies, browsing history) at least once a week.2. tune up your windows3. boost/hack your tcp/ip connection4. boost/hack your browserall of these can be done by advance systemcare (for firefox) or glary utilities

Don't forget to rotate your mouse three times anti-clockwise (BEFORE you logon) and make sure your monitor is as vertical as possible so the webpages drop down it faster.

My dog runs pretty fast.

I've noticed too ,especially in the last week . I'm on BT and the net is slow especially on downloads . I read somewhere about BT reducing bandwidth , infact they've had a complaint from the BBC . Folk cannot watch the BBC iplayer thing bob .

dantoe12;5421507

there seems to be an ever increasing throttling nature ;)net speeds … there seems to be an ever increasing throttling nature ;)net speeds increase yet throttling does so equally

http://www.hometoys.com/mentors/caswell/aug02/bandwidth.gif

EndlessWaves;5421523

Don't forget to rotate your mouse three times anti-clockwise (BEFORE you … Don't forget to rotate your mouse three times anti-clockwise (BEFORE you logon) and make sure your monitor is as verticle as possible so the webpages drop down it faster.

is that supposed to be a joke?

if yes, you can joke all you want but the above works for me. I run torrent 24 hours and still got 7mbps even at peak / throttled hours

if you dont want to help just shut up

+1 congrats on 1K of posts O_O....ermmm well the best speed i can get on any pc or download manager in my house is about 1.2MB/s but all of a sudden it goes dead to about 60kb/s and it sucks....Thanks for your help anyway
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …281978
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp12
      3. What is there free to do in your town?37
      4. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1635

See more discussions