Found 28th Jul 2008
Anyone noticed how rubbishly slow the streaming is on YouTube recently??? It's doing my absolute head in!!!
It's absolutely pointless trying to watch a music video (for me anyway) as it stops and starts every 5 seconds or so. Is this due to a rubbish ISP or is it a known problem at the moment. My laptop is a decent spec (Sony Vaio VGN-FZ19VN 1.80 GHz with 2 GB ram) so I don't think it's that!!
Any suggestions???

15 Comments

wats ur isp? Im getting the same at the moment

Fine for me on both Virgin and BT

Banned

Fine for me on Talktalk. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

aircanman;2623309

wats ur isp? Im getting the same at the moment

Pipex. I've run a few speed tests and get anything ranging from 4.5 - 5.0 mbps download speed which is pretty good?

Have you tried a different video as the youtube video's vary in size and it could be your trying a large video

Original Poster

RedIron;2623370

Have you tried a different video as the youtube video's vary in size and … Have you tried a different video as the youtube video's vary in size and it could be your trying a large video

It's only a 4 minute vid? I get about 5 seconds then it streams for 10 and I get another 5 seconds of vid. I haven't noticed anything slowing down when accessing any other sites?
I am trying to watch The Verve's new single (which by the way is awesome). I am getting rather peed off :x

BlasterLad;2623359

Pipex. I've run a few speed tests and get anything ranging from 4.5 - 5.0 … Pipex. I've run a few speed tests and get anything ranging from 4.5 - 5.0 mbps download speed which is pretty good?

pipex also :s

Perhaps there is an issue here that needs googling.

BlasterLad;2623405

It's only a 4 minute vid? I get about 5 seconds then it streams for 10 … It's only a 4 minute vid? I get about 5 seconds then it streams for 10 and I get another 5 seconds of vid. I haven't noticed anything slowing down when accessing any other sites? I am trying to watch The Verve's new single (which by the way is awesome). I am getting rather peed off :x

It's the quality that changes the file the most not the length

So you can have two 5 minute video's but one could be high quality and nearly 100MB whereas the other could be low quality and about 40MB

Original Poster

RedIron;2623441

It's the quality that changes the file the most not the lengthSo you can … It's the quality that changes the file the most not the lengthSo you can have two 5 minute video's but one could be high quality and nearly 100MB whereas the other could be low quality and about 40MB

It's the same with every video that is currently in my favourites - I never used to have the problem. Only in the last week

Original Poster

RedIron;2623450

For example again;This one's quite slow for … For example again;This one's quite slow for me;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfUjfioAnKYWhereas this one was very fast;http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-0L1Mn6J_U

Now I'm totally confused cos it was the other way around for me!. 2nd one was stop start!! :?

Yeah it's slow for me on Bulldog (now Pipex).

If you add the high quality variable to the end of the url it actually connects you to a different streaming server and gives you a higher quality stream. I've actually had a lot more sucess doing this, and the video and audio is much better quality!

You just need to add &fmt=18 to the end of the url.

Eg. uk.youtube.com/wat…V6w

becomes

uk.youtube.com/wat…=18

BlasterLad;2623481

Now I'm totally confused cos it was the other way around for me!. 2nd one … Now I'm totally confused cos it was the other way around for me!. 2nd one was stop start!! :?

I have no idea then lol, you could always try deleting all your cookies etc, you never know it may work

Good luck

Original Poster

baconsandwich;2623482

Yeah it's slow for me on Bulldog (now Pipex).If you add the high quality … Yeah it's slow for me on Bulldog (now Pipex).If you add the high quality variable to the end of the url it actually connects you to a different streaming server and gives you a higher quality stream. I've actually had a lot more sucess doing this, and the video and audio is much better quality!You just need to add &fmt=18 to the end of the url.Eg. http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F8mwIeGSV6wbecomeshttp://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=F8mwIeGSV6w&fmt=18

Fair play mate...... seemed to work. Nice one :thumbsup:

It's slow for me too on Tiscali.
Has been for about 4 days now.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The PlayStation VR (PSVR) Thread861868
    2. word association Game74244894
    3. Coming up to bonfire night ...2128
    4. sweet Sundays codes need to be redeemed by 23.59 on the 19th of October56

See more discussions