Found 27th Oct 2010
Hey guys,

Basically, I'm on a 20mbit cable connection provided by Virgin Media. During the morning/daytime it's brilliant. I get anywhere from 18-20mbit connection speeds.

Recently, in the evenings my connection has dropped down to anything under 5mbit, sometimes the speed even drops down to >1mbit.

I've tried all the normal tests (direct connection to the modem, changing the routers channel on the wireless etc.) but nothing seems to fix and the problem.

Has anyone else had/got this problem or any advice to fix it?

Many thanks,
-Matt

22 Comments

They tend to cap your broadband in the evening to about midnight, Virgin are sods for it.

Sometimes they only do this if you download a lot.

Original Poster

Yeah, I thought they only did this if you download a lot - pretty sure that's not the case for me though (I download a lot, but at the right times ;))

Could also be something to do with the operating system, can always be a few registry changes or programs you can use to get better speeds, the first thing i normally do is use tcp/optimizer first, always seemed to get better responses after using that.

Back to the operating system thing, if it's windows vista then there are few things you can do.

Having said all that i havent been with virgin media now for 1 1/2 year since i moved out of a non cabled area.. it was sad times for sure. Lucky you with cabled area lol

Original Poster

I seriously doubt it's the operating system as all of my housemates have experienced the same problem. Plus, It's a new problem and no changes have been made to the router or modem to cause it.
Think an annoyed call to Virgin is on the cards for tomorrow.

Original Poster

Speedtest I just took:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1007122241.png

shauneco

They tend to cap your broadband in the evening to about midnight, Virgin … They tend to cap your broadband in the evening to about midnight, Virgin are sods for it.Sometimes they only do this if you download a lot.

Indeed they do so its 'fair' for all users as many online in the evenings compared to other times of the day!

i've been getting terrible speeds the last few days. on 20mb normally get a stable download speed of 2.12MB/s but been getting 0.42kb/s Shocking...

must be something to do with them

My friend in Glasgow got the fibre trial from BT, told he gets up to 40 meg and on original speedtest did but wired or wireless now never seems to get above 22 often, any ideas why? saying that he did a torrent and got 2.8 megaBYTES a second so perhaps the speedtest was just incorrect.

OP Here is a link to the traffic management table.
shop.virginmedia.com/hel…tml

If your connection is falling as low as 1Mbps or outside the listed times then it is most likely an issue with your connection and you would be best posting on the virgin media forum for someone to assist you further.

I'm with virgin media. 10mb connection.
For some reason one night last week i was getting between 0.18mb and 0.95mb
Next day it was fine.

Original Poster

Cheers for that, thrustmaster.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1007152219.png

Think that since it's close to 1mbit, it can't be my fault. So frustrating too since the wired connection shows no improvement.

Original Poster

Yeah. We're all students and are in lectures until late. It's mainly used for web browsing and the odd bluray download but that's all done overnight etc. We've had the Virgin internet for a couple of years now so have gotten used to the traffic management system they impose.

Original Poster

Well, speeds are officially back to normal now - but can almost guarantee the same thing will happen tomorrow night.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1007189041.png

Very strange..

emJayO

I seriously doubt it's the operating system as all of my housemates have … I seriously doubt it's the operating system as all of my housemates have experienced the same problem. Plus, It's a new problem and no changes have been made to the router or modem to cause it. Think an annoyed call to Virgin is on the cards for tomorrow.

Glad to see problem sorted itself out, I doubt it would have been down to virgin capping speeds, even when they do cap your speeds if your on a 20mb connection they normally cap it down to 4mb.

Could have been virgin just having a hiccup day, or maybe the had too much surge in your area. who knows.

About the operating system, not being cheeky, but seriously you can get improved speeds by tweaking the OS. I always tend to run a few things and always worked for me. Worth a look into tho mate either way.

Glad it's back up to that lovely 17mb. .... i'm so jealous. Damn you virgin media put cable in my area!!

Take it easy m8. Happy downloading

I have the 20 but never really get past 12, some days i find im getting between 5-8

i'm no expert on cable but isn't this due to traffic? If a lot of people in your area took up virgin lately, and considering most get on at peak time, hence the name, it'll slow way down. I'm on ADSL and i experience the exact same problem as you. Tis the way of the interweb i'm afraid. ISP's oversell and can't meet demand and speeds go downhill.

Original Poster

I doubt it to be honest mcnally32. If it was traffic I could understand the download speeds dropping by a maximum of 50%, but dropping down by 95% of your speed... doesn't really make sense.

Oh, and for those who thought it was Virgin capping my speed, i purposefully got capped yesterday and it also slows your upload by 75%, which hasn't happened in any of the speedtests that i've shown.
Edited by: "emJayO" 29th Oct 2010

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Speedtests are completely inaccurate not sure how many times I need to … Speedtests are completely inaccurate not sure how many times I need to say this.

inaccurate, yes. Pointless, no. (not that you said they were pointless)

I just tried downloading some files on my main PC, it was getting between 500-700kb/s. I then downloaded the same files on my laptop (same host, same router etc.) and was getting 2mb/s+
Speedtests also showed the same results. What would be the cause of differing speeds across the same network?

Cheers.

Original Poster

wallacejbj

....the first thing i normally do is use tcp/optimizer first, always … ....the first thing i normally do is use tcp/optimizer first, always seemed to get better responses after using that...

Just did as you said and got back to 2mb/s download speeds, cheers mate!

Banned

dcx_badass

Speedtests are completely inaccurate not sure how many times I need to … Speedtests are completely inaccurate not sure how many times I need to say this.

dunno how many times I have to state you are completely wrong! Speedtest.net is nearly ALWAYS accurate for me!

Original Poster

Well, instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd just revive this one.

Basically, Recently at different times of the day (mainly afternoon & evening - NOW in fact) my broadband speeds are dire.

I'm paying for 20mbit connection and in the morning the connection is great. Right now, and to be honest, for nearly every evening for the past week+, my speed is down to below 2mbit.

I've had a Virgin engineer come and take a look. He reconnected some wires and all that kind of stuff, changing filters etc. and the speed in the afternoon did get better. So why is my speed so low?

Any input, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys,
-Matt.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Highway code and use of indicators (or lack thereof)4178
    2. Add one, leave one game54415459
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…51113
    4. saying of the day89412

See more discussions