SLRHut Reliable?

Posted 15th Oct
Just wondering if anyone has used SLR Hut to purchase a camera? Are they reliable?
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
Grey imports from Hong Kong not subject to any UK consumer legislation. You may be able to obtain some UK-based protection if the organisation still accepts direct payment by credit card for any item over £100, otherwise post-purchase support may be difficult (returns, warranty servicing, etc).
AndyRoyd15/10/2019 14:43

Grey imports from Hong Kong not subject to any UK consumer legislation. …Grey imports from Hong Kong not subject to any UK consumer legislation. You may be able to obtain some UK-based protection if the organisation still accepts direct payment by credit card for any item over £100, otherwise post-purchase support may be difficult (returns, warranty servicing, etc).

Thanks for your reply, I see they take paypal so I should be covered under food and services no? Also I have read some trustpilot reviews and they pretty much all seem to be positive, stating that they have been delivered from America. Have you had a personal experience with them?
Nope

Pay by Paypal in GBP to a UK (sometimes EU but not always) firm and very probably WAIVE GOODBYE to your rights under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

Only payment direct to the retailer using your credit card SECURES your rights. Payment by any of the enticing intermediary is transaction specific and subject to the whims.of the card merchant. Ask them for written assurance they will always honour S75. You wont get a YES.
Edited by: "ccnp" 15th Oct
ILoveMeSomeTech15/10/2019 14:58

Thanks for your reply, I see they take paypal so I should be covered under …Thanks for your reply, I see they take paypal so I should be covered under food and services no? Also I have read some trustpilot reviews and they pretty much all seem to be positive, stating that they have been delivered from America. Have you had a personal experience with them?

Personal experience of response to pre-sales enquiry means I chose not to order. If you find the terms acceptable it should be no issue for you.
Payment by PayPal will provide you with 180days of whatever protection PP deems fit, which is basically the item should actually arrive and it should be as described, although if PP disagrees with your issue there is no obvious way to enforce your claim. There is also no warranty via a PayPal purchase, and there is no obvious inclusive warranty provided by this merchant anyway, and no warranty associated with grey imports. There is a return policy that is heavy reading and genuinely makes no sense, other than a return is at the customer's cost (to presumably Hong Kong, but definitely not to a UK address as any returns "sent there may be disposed of". Nice.).
If the item arrives, you are happy with its condition and performance and it does not malfunction within a reasonable time you should be OK. Anything requiring support or return will be problematic.
I can't comment on this site, however I've had previous experience with grey goods from Camera Box (now closed)

Thier website was clear that delivery would be the following day, they also replied to all my enquiries emails straight away, so I ordered.

The camera wasn't delivered the following day, after chasing they said it will be the day after the order has been approved and that might take a week.

So I waited, nothing happened after the week.

More chasing, they didn't respond.

After a month I still had not got anywhere, so as I luckily paid by credit card I contacted them, some forms came out to sign and return, did all that.

After filling out and return forms, I got an email saying order had been approved (nothing to do with my claim), so I told the CC to hold off it as they may have just started to send it.

After a few more days, the camera was delivered (much to my supprise). It came in a Canon box, which stated a separate lens, however this was not in there, and a separate box came for the lens.

I think they seems to get offers with lenses and maybe sell them seperatley for more profit?

A few weeks later Camera Box closes down.

So thank fully I got what I ordered eventually, but I was so glad that I paid by CC as I would have some way to claim back if I didn't get it. (I cancelled the claim, just in case anyone is thinking that I'm dishonest)

The camera still works perfectl after quite a few years, and I can't see any difference with a grey model, but I guess it may have been an issue had the camera failed.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants