Slugs slugs slugs EVERYWHERE!

Posted 20th May
Just popped to the shed in the garden and noticed bunches of slugs having a party let alone adhering to the social distancing.

Anyone got any tips how to deter slugs from the garden?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
Salt? I used to have a problem with slugs, they've seen to of disappeared by themselves.Now I have a problem with woodlice, the joys of country living!
It is so dry currently, but in the shed you must have a wet area/rotten wood?
Beer in a jam jar apparently !
Put salt down in your shed as this kills them.
Beer trap
I collect the slugs and snails in a box and then let them go when out walking in the park or woods.
Hedgehog.
Pouring salt on them will kill them pretty quickly I remember, if you want to kill them in a way where they at least get drunk before death you can sink containers into the ground and pour half a can of beer into it, I think they’re attracted to the aromas, fall in, drown (hopefully inebriated and none the wiser) and you can just pour them away every few days and top up the traps.
Ducks, our khaki campbells used to love slugs, though it was kind of gross to watch, though no where near as bad as when they would eat a frog. They also loved getting in the hole your digging so they could get the worms. Word of warning, they don’t shut up, the natter away to each other all day
Ukguy10120/05/2020 06:13

Salt? I used to have a problem with slugs, they've seen to of disappeared …Salt? I used to have a problem with slugs, they've seen to of disappeared by themselves.Now I have a problem with woodlice, the joys of country living!

Had woodlice invade the conservatory and outside perimeter, until I bought this stuff.
Don't waste good beer. Build them a salt prison
What you need is a hedgehog.

My mum used to put out a saucer of bread and milk for the hedgehogs, and for some reason it was an absolute magnet for slugs. The rim of the saucer would get covered by a ring of slugs after the milk, then one of the hedgehogs would come along and eat the lot!
Edited by: "melted" 21st May
I have a salt perimeter round the back door as the slugs like gett6n hen its damp, wood lice dont bother me, I just chuck em out the window
melanieking200020/05/2020 16:22

I have a salt perimeter round the back door as the slugs like gett6n hen …I have a salt perimeter round the back door as the slugs like gett6n hen its damp, wood lice dont bother me, I just chuck em out the window

Using your hands?
Salt is a pretty brutal way to kill a slug and messy. Basically they melt into a pool of slime. Pretty grim.
riches1987mpr20/05/2020 22:48

Salt is a pretty brutal way to kill a slug and messy. Basically they melt …Salt is a pretty brutal way to kill a slug and messy. Basically they melt into a pool of slime. Pretty grim.

I know I feel bad.
But they are also in my shed. I have carpeted the floor and can see their trail. It looks gross.
Ive seen slug pellets, would that help?
Salt
rimalpatel00721/05/2020 16:23

Don't get it, what happened and why?

It's a time lapse of a beer trap, shows it attracts slugs, but they should have chosen a better container that makes it harder for the slugs to climb out, I would think a jam jar would work better as they narrow at the top and glass is more slippery than plastic. Also better to have the lip of the container a bit above ground level as slugs will climb, but some of the other creepy crawlies that might end up in would be kept out.

People suggest yeast and sugar water will also work and even marmite. I suspect milk might work too.
Edited by: "melted" 21st May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions