SMA, APTAMIL or Cow & Gate newborn milk

31 replies
Found 20th Apr 2010
Hey folks,

just wondering what everyones favourite milk is for babys?
We got some tiny bottles of Aptamil from the hospital and have been using breast milk also at home. Were going to buy the main milk today and wondered what the best is out of the 3 and any advice on the 3

thanks all

1. Misc
  2. Baby
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Baby
31 Comments

ive always used SMA, never tried any others, my sister also uses SMA. i think its best to stick to one brand otherwise the baby might not take it.

we used cow and gate, i can't really remember why but as pink-ka said best to stick to the same one once you have decided

Aptamil is normally a bit dearer but then we only used a bottle very occasionaly so that wasn't a problem.
If you are going to mainly breast feed just get some cartons easier than messing about with powder. Try and stick with one brand whatever you do though as their tummys get used to it

boots.com/en/…10/

have you looked at this? its cheaper and organic

obviously breast is best and all that, i think aptilmil is ment to be very good esp if you are combining breast and bottle. I used cow and gate as i found sma made my kiddies a little constipated.

Also if you are plannning on breast and bottle they say to estabilish breast before introducing th bottle as it is a different suck

Tinkytayls;8408438

obviously breast is best and all that, i think aptilmil is ment to be … obviously breast is best and all that, i think aptilmil is ment to be very good esp if you are combining breast and bottle. but i used cow and gate as i found sma made my kiddies a little constripated.Also if you are plannning on breast and bottle they say to estabilish breast before introducing th bottle as it is a different suck

Exactly the same happened with my little ones, they got constipated really bad, I used C&G too :thumbsup:

Mod & Ed

We use C& G Comfort, it was suggested to us by hv as my lo had wind and constipation problems, and its very similar to the bottles the hosp provide, apparently so they can be stored at longterm, the formula is broken down more and makes it easier for the babies to digest, since she's been on that, she has improved a great deal.

We used Cow & Gate and never had any problems

Also, as has been mentioned before, once you choose stick to it.

By the way, don't be surprised if the formula haters make their way to this thread shortly, see this link for an example
hotukdeals.com/ite…mul

You used to be able to buy formula at the baby clinic....ask your HV.....the aptamil used to be a lot cheaper there.

I used SMA but as other posters have mentioned it's best to stick to one make if baby is happy on it.

Mod & Ed

ivegotalobon;8408578

We used Cow & Gate and never had any problemsAlso, as has been mentioned … We used Cow & Gate and never had any problemsAlso, as has been mentioned before, once you choose stick to it.By the way, don't be surprised if the formula haters make their way to this thread shortly, see this link for an examplehttp://www.hotukdeals.com/item/600911/heinz-big-900g-tub-of-infant-formul?

+1 hotukdeals.com/ite…e=2

any thread on formula seems to bring out the " make the bottle feeding mums feel inadequate" brigade:thumbsup:

SMA made by LO severely constipated, always used cow and gate.

( it wasnt the SMA he had in hospital, but what i bought in the shop, one is pasteurised and one is UHF treated, powdered stuff didnt agree at all)

ive used SMA they were both fine on it

Original Poster

Thanks all

SuperEd

sma

cow and gate for both of mine

Original Poster

Pretty varied, think we might try SMA so how we get on

Original Poster

Decides on Aptamil as Lisa is mixing breast milk with formula, you can't with the other 2

I'll ask something else folks,
what are the reasons to use "For hungry babies" from birth?

saxo_appeal;8416460

Decides on Aptamil as Lisa is mixing breast milk with formula, you can't … Decides on Aptamil as Lisa is mixing breast milk with formula, you can't with the other 2I'll ask something else folks,what are the reasons to use "For hungry babies" from birth?

I mixed sma with breast feeding, no problem!

Original Poster

Says on the tubs you can't do this??

saxo_appeal;8416555

Says on the tubs you can't do this??

Strange... it didn't! :?

I was mixing them on the advice of my midwife as well....... :thinking:

That said, there is a 9 year gap between my two, and the advice they gave with my eldest was a world away from advice they gave for the youngest! :thumbsup:

All I can say is that I managed not to damage either of them!! :w00t:

Edit: and they cant have been right about everything BOTH times! lol

aptamil

Original Poster

What is the "hungry babies" tubs for?

saxo_appeal;8417699

tis bulked out with proteins that take longer to digest leaving the baby feeling fuller for longer but without any additional nutrients.

Original Poster

Is that a good thing or bad thing ?

saxo_appeal;8417925

Is that a good thing or bad thing ?

IF your LO is ok with the normal - stick with that. They will get all the nutrients they need from breast milk.

keep your baba with the norrmal one for now, the otherr stays on the stomach longer so makes the baby feel full for longer but a newborrn shouldnt need it yet

you should have a midwife visiting you so ask her questions

saxo_appeal;8416460

Decides on Aptamil as Lisa is mixing breast milk with formula, you can't … Decides on Aptamil as Lisa is mixing breast milk with formula, you can't with the other 2I'll ask something else folks,what are the reasons to use "For hungry babies" from birth?

we use SMA HB for her night time feed. Shes now 3 months and already drinking 6/7oz at least 6 times a day plus HB at 11/12 Midnight which makes here sleep til about 5/6am

He's been on HB for around 4 weeks now, but only has it once a day. The formula is thicker than normal SMA and thus makes her think she's eating more

Mod & Ed

saxo_appeal;8417699

tbh most consultant paediatricians advise you not to use this, a couple have told me that there is no benefit to it.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Think we will just stick to the normal milk just now

Thanks all for your advice

Banned

awww congratulations saxo, didnt know your partner had the baby, wow you come along way in the last 18 months - lol

Original Poster

lol I know, she is absolutely gorgeous lol

thanks Sassie, what happened to your Avatar?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Driving anxiety.2737
    2. Tablet recommendation ror 5yr old- ideally with a stylus11
    3. Bean to cup machine11
    4. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…818

See more discussions