Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland

Found 19th Oct 2017
Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland, the Scottish government has confirmed.

The move would make the country the first part of the UK to outlaw the physical punishment of children.

bbc.co.uk/new…797

Hmmm, although I can't remember the last time I had to smack any of my children, I'm on the fence with this one.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

Probably another idea by 50yr old virgins who have never had kids. A short sharp shock is enough to stop a 2yr old stuffing their fingers into a socket or touching a fire... good luck achieving the same result with a rational discussion about the pro's and cons to achieve the same

Smacking does not equal beating or inflicting severe pain whatsoever, the most ridiculous part of this is that it will do NOTHING to stop the actual problem, typical loony blanket approach to solving a problem that doesn't exist.
88 Comments

Is there any fact of how enforcement is done and its costs? Are there hundreds of smacking enforcement officers, managers and a CEO with a board with an IT system outsourced to a company that logs all the smacking cases and do reports, training, appeal process, analysis and policy advice at the cost of £15 million a year?

splender2 m ago

Is there any fact of how enforcement is done and its costs? Are there …Is there any fact of how enforcement is done and its costs? Are there hundreds of smacking enforcement officers, managers and a CEO with a board with an IT system outsourced to a company that logs all the smacking cases and do reports, training, appeal process, analysis and policy advice at the cost of £15 million a year?

No.

No wonder crime is on the rise..

Failing schools Scotland, now reduce children's discipline to put the icing on the cake.

davewave1 m ago

Failing schools Scotland, now reduce children's discipline to put the …Failing schools Scotland, now reduce children's discipline to put the icing on the cake.

I enjoy making things up too.

Dawsy4 m ago

No wonder crime is on the rise..

It isn't.

cdm221 m ago

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41677046

Eh do you really need me to point out the obvious here?

I honestly think this will be a bad move. :(. It won't stop the "extreme" cases that they love to portray is what telling you child off is.

I was genuinely unaware that smacking kids was not already illegal.
Thought it had been outlawed throughout the country.

What a pity.

CoeK6 m ago

Eh do you really need me to point out the obvious here?

Go on then enlighten us..

Dawsy3 m ago

Go on then enlighten us..

Seriously? You don't see how linking to a story about crime rates in England and Wales to a story about smacking being banned in Scotland is an obvious flaw.

Really that is just easy pickings. Linking a ban that has just happened to an increase in crime rates is already exceptionally silly. Even if crime rates have rose they would have risen before this ban happened.

Don't let me get in the way of statements attempting to be witty.

davewave8 m ago

some reading about the decline of Scottish schools, enjoy ...1. Scottish …some reading about the decline of Scottish schools, enjoy ...1. Scottish schools drop in world rankings2. Figures show drop in Scottish pupil literacy rates3. The SNP’s muddled education policy is failing Scottish kids4. Cleverest Scottish pupils 'a year behind on science' compared to before SNP taking power

One of these days you are going to produce a primary source. Just kidding.

It’s how you interpret the crime figures in Scotland. Sexual, violent and malicious crime is on the increase.

sundaypost.com/fp/…es/

Predikuesi2 m ago

It’s how you interpret the crime figures in Scotland. Sexual, violent and m …It’s how you interpret the crime figures in Scotland. Sexual, violent and malicious crime is on the increase.https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/alarming-truth-behind-fall-in-crime-figures/

So crime is down. Thanks for confirming.
Not that I would be silly enough to connect it to a ban on smacking.
Edited by: "CoeK" 19th Oct 2017

CoeK3 m ago

So crime is down. Thanks for confirming.Not that I would be silly enough …So crime is down. Thanks for confirming.Not that I would be silly enough to connect it to a ban on smacking.

It’s obvious because of the speed of your reply, that you did read the article.

Predikuesi1 m ago

It’s obvious because of the speed of your reply, that you did read the a …It’s obvious because of the speed of your reply, that you did read the article.

Yeh I read it. I know someone who works for police Scotland, he moans about the changes.

Still the fact is crime in Scotland hasn't gone up.

But what are they going to do for exercise then?

devonbob1 m ago

But what are they going to do for exercise then?

The kids or the parents?
Edited by: "CoeK" 19th Oct 2017

CoeK17 m ago

I would settle for secondary if you manage.

find it then, if you suspect the Telegraph, BBC news and Spectator are all wrong, if not then put up.
Edited by: "davewave" 19th Oct 2017

Predikuesi5 m ago

So I mentioned that it’s the way the crime figures are interpreted, but c …So I mentioned that it’s the way the crime figures are interpreted, but clearly stated that crime is on the increase in Scotland.there is a phrase you need to learn:A text out of context is a pretext.

The amusing bit is that comment isn't there anymore. Maybe the mods don't like it.

davewave2 m ago

find it then, if you suspect the Telegraph, BBC news and Spectator are all …find it then, if you suspect the Telegraph, BBC news and Spectator are all wrong, if not then put up.

I suspect you require the media to give you an opinion that you like.

CoeK2 m ago

The amusing bit is that comment isn't there anymore. Maybe the mods don't …The amusing bit is that comment isn't there anymore. Maybe the mods don't like it.

No I deleted it because I must have quoted two previous comments, that’s the reason I posted a new comment later

Predikuesi1 m ago

No I deleted it because I must have quoted two previous comments, that’s t …No I deleted it because I must have quoted two previous comments, that’s the reason I posted a new comment later

Of course. You posted a new comment later without the double quote and without other bits too...

And I'm trolling

Predikuesi1 m ago

Exactly like I said then

Aren't you away yet?

This is the daughter of two teachers

CoeK3 m ago

Of course. You posted a new comment later without the double quote and …Of course. You posted a new comment later without the double quote and without other bits too...And I'm trolling

Predikuesi32 m ago

It’s how you interpret the crime figures in Scotland. Sexual, violent and m …It’s how you interpret the crime figures in Scotland. Sexual, violent and malicious crime is on the increase.https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/alarming-truth-behind-fall-in-crime-figures/

Exactly the same information then

Predikuesi2 m ago

Exactly the same information then

Yeh. I'm not sure who you are trying to fool?

Anyway I see the changes made to your comment. Now so does anyone else interested.

CoeK6 m ago

Yeh. I'm not sure who you are trying to fool? Anyway I see the changes …Yeh. I'm not sure who you are trying to fool? Anyway I see the changes made to your comment. Now so does anyone else interested.

CoeK23 m ago

[Image]

Predikuesi41 m ago

No problem. I have put them together for all to see, just to make things easier, but I suspect others will have better reading skills than yourself.

Just use the phone book, leaves no marks.

Predikuesi5 m ago

No problem. I have put them together for all to see, just to make things …No problem. I have put them together for all to see, just to make things easier, but I suspect others will have better reading skills than yourself.

dereklogan75 m ago

Just use the phone book, leaves no marks.

It is already against the law to leave marks.

Probably another idea by 50yr old virgins who have never had kids. A short sharp shock is enough to stop a 2yr old stuffing their fingers into a socket or touching a fire... good luck achieving the same result with a rational discussion about the pro's and cons to achieve the same

Smacking does not equal beating or inflicting severe pain whatsoever, the most ridiculous part of this is that it will do NOTHING to stop the actual problem, typical loony blanket approach to solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Do that again & your not going to play Fifa on your Xbox for half hour.

Do that again & your going to get beaten within a inch of your life.

I know which one would stop me doing it again.

I know someone who got caned at school many years ago.
When he got home and told his parents, they gave him a beating.

frakison14 m ago

Probably another idea by 50yr old virgins who have never had kids. A short …Probably another idea by 50yr old virgins who have never had kids. A short sharp shock is enough to stop a 2yr old stuffing their fingers into a socket or touching a fire... good luck achieving the same result with a rational discussion about the pro's and cons to achieve the same Smacking does not equal beating or inflicting severe pain whatsoever, the most ridiculous part of this is that it will do NOTHING to stop the actual problem, typical loony blanket approach to solving a problem that doesn't exist.

Actually nuns are all for hitting kids.

What about punching?

The age of criminal responsibility is also being raised from 8 to 12 years of age, this puts Scotland in line with all other European countries.

splender2 h, 35 m ago

Is there any fact of how enforcement is done and its costs? Are there …Is there any fact of how enforcement is done and its costs? Are there hundreds of smacking enforcement officers, managers and a CEO with a board with an IT system outsourced to a company that logs all the smacking cases and do reports, training, appeal process, analysis and policy advice at the cost of £15 million a year?

scotsman.com/new…077
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants