Groups
    EXPIRED

Small air cooler/conditioning unit (before the long hot summer arrives!)

Any ideas or suggestions as to a relatively cheap (no more than £150) air cooler/conditioning unit which is fairly smalll but easily portable?

Looking to get something before the long, hot summer ahead arrives ;-) -and the prices shoot up!

19 Comments

Theres one called Airforce from B&Q. Its an £80 unit and its qood quality with a remote aswell. i just bought one for the same reason and this one seems a good deal.

Its on wheels so its easily portable and its medium sized. Have a look in your local B&Q to see if you like it.

Yes, I also need one quickly and for about 150ish as well.

Can anyone advise me where the best place to get one of these portable units is, what the best brands are and what "BTU" means.
    cheers all!

This ]LINK will give you a guide as to what BTU rating you will require, also lots of hints and tips on air conditioning units.

You could try a fan and place some ice bags (obviously with ice in them) in front of it, not sure it works but its cheaper and you will have a laugh, or is that laughed at.

I tried that last year but it made no difference whatsoever! Are the £80 ones worth considering?

i have the £80 one and seriously for a small sized room its fine. works perfectly and has a quality display. and theres all sorts of settings on it. Worth the price if you ask me!

Sohali, I can't find the one for £80 on their website - was it last year?

i bought it last week!! my local branch in Beckton. i cant seem to find it on the website either so maybe its only instore??

On the box it says Air Force, Slim Evaporative Air Cooler and not much else. ill have a quick look for the manual and give you the model number if that helps.

Thanks, that would be great!

It doesnt really give a model number on the manual either which is strange:?

edit: i looked through the B & Q catalouge and success i found it:

- Airforce Air Cooler : 0000005110148 :-D

I thought you guys were after an air conditioner, not an air cooler.
    Check your local comet for discontinued products. The Comet at Park Gate, Fareham had one on the discontinued table yesterday reduced from £79 to £39.

How good are air coolers compared to air conditioners? Coolers just seem liketheyd be weak.

steamroller

How good are air coolers compared to air conditioners? Coolers just seem … How good are air coolers compared to air conditioners? Coolers just seem liketheyd be weak.

Air coolers are less effective, though provide a temporary solution to a small area. Though i believe you have to keep filling them up with ice cubes. The positive being that they are more portable.
    Air conditioners more effective, less portable, and will require some sort of ventilation opening to extract the warm air. This is usually done through an open window with a foam pack to isolate the opening and stopping the warm air coming back in.

Last year we picked an oscillating tower fan, which has various settings - including an air purifying mode, plus remote control for aprox £20.
    We only have small-ish rooms and it works a treat, with the advantage of being so portable.
    Unfortuantly i can't finf it on their website, though Argos have some similiar types.

Original Poster

saintscouple

Air coolers are less effective, though provide a temporary solution to a … Air coolers are less effective, though provide a temporary solution to a small area. Though i believe you have to keep filling them up with ice cubes. The positive being that they are more portable. Air conditioners more effective, less portable, and will require some sort of ventilation opening to extract the warm air. This is usually done through an open window with a foam pack to isolate the opening and stopping the warm air coming back in.Last year we picked an oscillating tower fan, which has various settings - including an air purifying mode, plus remote control for aprox £20.We only have small-ish rooms and it works a treat, with the advantage of being so portable.Unfortuantly i can't finf it on their website, though Argos have some similiar types.

Geez, didn't realise air coolers needed filling up with ice-cubes - that's definately not for me if that's true (can anyone confirm?)

If so, looks like I'm looking for an air conditioner for a small room for less than £100 - anyone with any ideas?

Yeah Jatwap some require ice cubes but most coolers do require water at least. (btw cheers to saintscouple; rep given :thumbsup: )

Hi, I'm after an air cooler..(air cons are too expensive)..saw one in Maplin maplin.co.uk/mod…t15
    on offer for 50 quid and wondered if anyone has one of these. Also saw one in Argos for similar price.
    Cheers, Roo

Trauts78

You could try a fan and place some ice bags (obviously with ice in them) … You could try a fan and place some ice bags (obviously with ice in them) in front of it, not sure it works but its cheaper and you will have a laugh, or is that laughed at.

Best ghetto cooler is a desk fan and wet and hand ring out an old T-shirt then put it on.

However i was thinking the say thing the other day didn't want my PC's to over heat this summer.

Now for the Science:

Just having a fan will not cool you, I remember a How 2 where they had a fan with a thermonitor in front of it the temp did not drop until they wet the thermonitor, much like the body the moving air cools the water, which cools you. :thinking:

An air cooler relies on evaporative cooling. That is, you fill one the air cooler up with water or ice blocks and the water to achieve this. It's of absolutely zero use in hot, humid, sticky nights as the air is so saturated that cooling cannot be achieved satisfactorily.

You need an air-con unit which removes the moisture/humidity from the air, pumps ou the hot air and circulates cold air. That's why a/c units have an exhaust hose that you need to chuck out of a window or door.

I replied to a post the previous week:

hotukdeals.com/for…019

The Maplin product is an example of an air cooler. I'd rather spend £50 on 5 decent sized fans.

A BTU is a British Thermal Unit. The higher the BTU the higher the cooling capacity of an air con unit.

Thanks a lot for the info Chimp and Vikingaero..looks like some lateral thinking will be required to cool myself in the heat of the night this Summer then..either that, relocate or raid the bank and buy an air-con!

Cheers, Roo
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Amazon prime subscribe & save22
      2. Cracked windscreen, is it safe and legal to drive?1011
      3. Laptop screen backlight issue11
      4. Best VR games?23

See more discussions