Small Android Phone Recommendations

Looking to help a friend with an upgrade. Currently has a Motorola Moto G XT1032 8GB (http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_g-5831.php). Requirements:

* Android - and still supported for updates
* Similar size to existing phone ~4.5 inches
* Under £250
* At least 16GB memory (preferably with SD card option too)
* At least 2GB RAM

Had previously recommended the Sony Z3 Compact when it was available new at Vodafone for £150, but times have moved on!

10 Comments

note 7?

xaiomi mi4/c/s

I have a nexus 5x 16GB. Great phone and updates are plenty being a Google device.
Got it for £170 from argos in a sale, with a £10 gift card.

Original Poster

elliott1982

note 7?

Thanks, but falls down at the second requirement. The Note 7 is 5.7 inches.

Original Poster

MrClifford

xaiomi mi4/c/s

Also probably too big at 5 inches, unless there's a model variation I'm missing? Might have to look into this one.
Edited by: "morgie" 13th Aug 2016

Original Poster

richardthompson79

I have a nexus 5x 16GB. Great phone and updates are plenty being a Google … I have a nexus 5x 16GB. Great phone and updates are plenty being a Google device.Got it for £170 from argos in a sale, with a £10 gift card.

Thanks, but again I think it's too big at 5.2 inches.
Edited by: "morgie" 13th Aug 2016

morgie

Also probably too big at 5 inches, unless there's a model variation I'm … Also probably too big at 5 inches, unless there's a model variation I'm missing? Might have to look into this one.

​Factor in that the bezel will be slimmer on the xiaomi then you are looking at around 10mm extra width and height compared to 1st gen moto g which really isn't a lot. plus its a lot thinner and with a 1080p display I personally think you will be pleasantly surprised that you have an extra half inch display at much greatly quality, with similar weight to the moto g

I am used to bigger 5.5 inch displays but have a moto G as a backup phone, my wife's phone (Elephone p6000 pro) has just broke so she's back on the moto G, and because of weight and bulk the moto g really doesn't feel that sma

*small

p.s I only recommending the xiaomi mi4 variants because they are compact, have all the features required (bar SD slot on the mi4/mi4c) but are powerful enough for current uses while being produced by a reputable company at under £200

Original Poster

Thanks, it does look interesting.

Also considering the Moto G 3rd Gen 16GB/2GB RAM model, when compared to the current phone....

gsmarena.com/com…647

No gyro in the new, but think they can live without.

morgie

Thanks, it does look interesting.Also considering the Moto G 3rd Gen … Thanks, it does look interesting.Also considering the Moto G 3rd Gen 16GB/2GB RAM model, when compared to the current phone....http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=7247&idPhone2=6647No gyro in the new, but think they can live without.

I'd be with Richard in saying the Nexus 5X. Take a look with the other two compared with it and the width dimensions have only .2mm difference with the Moto G 3rd Gen. The Nexus 5X is also getting Android Nougat. Much better processor,screen adds a fingerprint reader (I have a Nexus 6P and never once thought before having something with a fingerprint reader that I would be lost without it now!). Also adds dualband, ac,DLNA and WIFI direct. NFC also for google wallet.

gsmarena.com/com…556

Moto
142.1 x 72.4 x 11.6 mm (5.59 x 2.85 x 0.46 in) 155g
PPI 294

Nexus 5X
147 x 72.6 x 7.9 mm (5.79 x 2.86 x 0.31 in) 135g
PPI 423
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 14th Aug 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions