Expired

Small bedroom with lost space because of stairwell

Found 4th May 2012
I am doing up smallest bedroom (for my 8 yo girl) that has an area of unusable floor because of the slant from the stairs. It used to be have a ceiling height cupboard built over the box the stairwell. I knocked the cupboard out because it made the room look so small. Now im left with a big box which isnt helping and I need idea what to do.

Does anyone has this problem and what did you do to make the room look practical?

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
14 Comments

Kat75

I am doing up smallest bedroom (for my 8 yo girl) that has an area of … I am doing up smallest bedroom (for my 8 yo girl) that has an area of unusable floor because of the slant from the stairs. It used to be have a ceiling height cupboard built over the box the stairwell. I knocked the cupboard out because it made the room look so small. Now im left with a big box which isnt helping and I need idea what to do...

Put the hammer down before you break something else.

Does the room have a wardrobe? Can you suspend a hanging rail in the "box" (or the space where the cupboard was) & free up some space elsewhere in the room?

Or, if your eight year old has a TV in her room, maybe add a shelf & move the TV to there.

can you build a platform at the side(either up to it or raised just above it) to turn it into a raised bed with storage at one end?

I think you mean theres a box at floor level, over the stairs.

If that's right, is there any scope to build a custom bed base which takes in the stairwell box?

If its a bit high, sowell and good-build some nice deep cupboards inderneath, or space for some boxes on wheels.

If it a bit of a stepbup, add a small freestsnding cupbard or shelf unit that can be used as astep-up

Original Poster

fanpages

Does the room have a wardrobe? Can you suspend a hanging rail in the … Does the room have a wardrobe? Can you suspend a hanging rail in the "box" (or the space where the cupboard was) & free up some space elsewhere in the room?Or, if your eight year old has a TV in her room, maybe add a shelf & move the TV to there.

No the room doesnt have a wardrobe. My girl doesnt have TV in her room

@ Harlzster:
Beat me to it
Cant type that fastr on my phone

i can't picture it. do you have a photo to clarify what you mean?

Kat75

No the room doesnt have a wardrobe. My girl doesnt have TV in her room

So, what else is making the room look small so you feel compelled to vandalise your house?

Original Poster

harlzter

can you build a platform at the side(either up to it or raised just above … can you build a platform at the side(either up to it or raised just above it) to turn it into a raised bed with storage at one end?

I can fit a single bed in the room no problem. Like the idea of raised bed with storage at one end or I can put thick foam on the box and put some shelves to make it look like a cosy corner, oh, i don't know
Trying to find images on google to give me an idea how it shoud look like but can't find any

Original Poster

deb8z

How time flies,it was back in … How time flies,it was back in Januaryhttp://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/diy-help-needed-1118313

Yes i have the same problem as enma512. thank you, deb8z

Original Poster

What about building couple of steps and bookcase on the wall? sound good?

Original Poster

deb8z

Or a seat where the lid lifts up for storage.I like the bookcase idea.

aw thanks, now i got plenty idea now. Poor hubby isnt going to be happy if i keep changing my mind again

Original Poster

fanpages

So, what else is making the room look small so you feel compelled to … So, what else is making the room look small so you feel compelled to vandalise your house?

I can put a bed in but not wardrobe or i can put a wardrobe in but not a bed. Storage is important.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions