Expired

Small Box Room help

Found 27th Oct 2014
hi guys.
can I post for advice?
I have a tiny box room I would like to make into a bedroom.
I have a stair box taking up the one corner-
hoping to put the bed infront of window- it will hold a small single.
so the only place to put a wardrobe is on this big stair box!
any advice how to make this into a wardrobe?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
15 Comments

How tall is the stair box?

You could put a high bed in over that if acceptable ceiling height above, just cut off a leg to go on top of the box ...

Original Poster

Laffy42

How tall is the stair box? You could put a high bed in over that if … How tall is the stair box? You could put a high bed in over that if acceptable ceiling height above, just cut off a leg to go on top of the box ...

its about waist height.
I thought about putting a bed on it - but I wouldn't fit a wardrobe in the room then. as the room is tiny. and the window takes up the one wall.
thank you

mummykelz

[quote=Laffy42]How tall is the stair box? You could put a high bed in … [quote=Laffy42]How tall is the stair box? You could put a high bed in over that if acceptable ceiling height above, just cut off a leg to go on top of the box ...

"its about waist height."
(this made me chortle, who's waist?)

I thought about putting a bed on it - but I wouldn't fit a wardrobe in the room then. as the room is tiny. and the window takes up the one wall.
thank you

You'd probably be best making a custom cupboard to go above it. If you don't have the joinery skills to do it then get some quotes. Should be an easy enough job for anyone with the right skills.

Original Poster

Burkos

"its about waist height."(this made me chortle, who's waist?) I thought … "its about waist height."(this made me chortle, who's waist?) I thought about putting a bed on it - but I wouldn't fit a wardrobe in the room then. as the room is tiny. and the window takes up the one wall. thank you

haha my waist- a normal adult waist height! lol. I cant even think of centimetres- 1.2-1.5m maybe lol

Original Poster

nbuuifx

You'd probably be best making a custom cupboard to go above it. If you … You'd probably be best making a custom cupboard to go above it. If you don't have the joinery skills to do it then get some quotes. Should be an easy enough job for anyone with the right skills.

iv had a few carpenters who have said they will come out and give me a price.
but they say its going to be expensive

mummykelz

haha my waist- a normal adult waist height! lol. I cant even think of … haha my waist- a normal adult waist height! lol. I cant even think of centimetres- 1.2-1.5m maybe lol

No wonder you consider it to be a small room

You are a giant (with a waist @ 1.2m/1.5m)

Maybe better you create a diagram/floor plan with (dare I say "accurate") dimensions

Edited by: "philphil61" 27th Oct 2014

You would be best to get a joiner in who could make you a wooden bed frame to join to it. We had the same issue when we bought our house but we removed the bed and I built a box over the stair box and use it to sit all my Cisco equipment on top of.

But a decent joiner can make you a wooden bedframe and have him make a drawer unit under it to store toys etc. All you will have to provide is a mattress.

mummykelz

its about waist height. I thought about putting a bed on it - but I … its about waist height. I thought about putting a bed on it - but I wouldn't fit a wardrobe in the room then. as the room is tiny. and the window takes up the one wall. thank you

If the bed goes high, you will have masses of room underneath for cupboard / drawers etc, and still a clear route to the window for maximum light ... plus room will look bigger. There are lots of storage ideas for under high bed sleeper.

Original Poster

Thanks guys I think il pay a visit to ikea for some space saving ideas.
I will get a more accurate room spec for you

I had the same problem with my spare room I bought a bed frame from Ikea added four bits of wood for legs two at bottom and two in middle and the top rested on top of stairs which are boxed in. It's a bit of a climb into bed but have loads of storage underneath Which I have hidden behind a curtain of material attached to the frame On a curtain wire. I also made the box over the stairs bigger so have storage there too but if I need in I have to pull the whole bed out so put things I hardly use in there. I am lucky as I could fit a wardrobe and draws behind the door but the room is approx 10 ft x 7.5 ft my neighbour went for the other option she had a box frame built and a wardrobe made to measure which was quite costly but don't see why if you can get the right size to do it yourself

Original Poster

Thank you Michelle.
Iv had 1 quite if £300 for a wardrobe
I was hoping £200.
Iv been on interest and found an ikea hack to make a bed - Kallax range - storage cubes - screw bed slats to the top and done
The room will fit a small short single mattress but won't fit a base as the radiator is in the way

Original Poster

Burkos

"its about waist height."(this made me chortle, who's waist?) I thought … "its about waist height."(this made me chortle, who's waist?) I thought about putting a bed on it - but I wouldn't fit a wardrobe in the room then. as the room is tiny. and the window takes up the one wall. thank you

I can't add a pic.
The box is 75cm high
Depth 87
Width 98cm

Can't find the same base as I made mine 10 years ago but it was similar to the FJELLSE £25 one from ikea but mine didn't have headboard just take the legs off and replace with longer legs easy to do yourself if that's an option for you you don't say how big your room is. You can make the box smaller if need be it's only plasterboard attached to wooden frame

Original Poster

michelle2306

Can't find the same base as I made mine 10 years ago but it was similar … Can't find the same base as I made mine 10 years ago but it was similar to the FJELLSE £25 one from ikea but mine didn't have headboard just take the legs off and replace with longer legs easy to do yourself if that's an option for you you don't say how big your room is. You can make the box smaller if need be it's only plasterboard attached to wooden frame

thank you soo much. exactly what I need - where ever I put the bed as it needs to be made.
surely I can do what ever I want with this wood frame
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants