Small Claims Court

Posted 11th Feb
Applied for my first ever small claims court case.

Just wondering if anyone else has ever done one for a private purchase and what was the outcome?

Also wanted to know, how does the defendant find out they have a claim against them. Do they recieve a letter at their address?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I've done it twice. Once against a national chain, who settled for the full amount (thousands) a few days before it went to court. Lots of huffing and puffing from them beforehand via nasty letters, but I stayed firm.

Second time was against an individual. She never responded, so default judgement in my favour. I eventually got a CCJ against her but had absolutely no luck getting anything back from her. She used different names - spelling her original name slightly differently, using her middle name, using her maiden name, which made it difficult to pin anything against her on paper. It was ridiculous how easy it was for her to avoid any kind of sanction. If I had to do it over, I would think very hard about whether it would be worth the aggro.
9 Comments
Wasting your time
sd1311/02/2020 02:56

Wasting your time

Someone owes me for a mobile phone bill from 5years ago, court does nothing but take your money whenever they’ve been there three times and are unsuccessful. They get a letter too and can appeal your claim.
Letter to the address you provided for the defendant. If they have a judgement against them they are liable for whatever costs are awarded. If they don't pay, you can have bailiff seize goods from them (extra cost to you).
As above, if you win your case, that’s no guarantee you’ll get any payment. The process will just drag on, and on, and on.....
I've done it twice. Once against a national chain, who settled for the full amount (thousands) a few days before it went to court. Lots of huffing and puffing from them beforehand via nasty letters, but I stayed firm.

Second time was against an individual. She never responded, so default judgement in my favour. I eventually got a CCJ against her but had absolutely no luck getting anything back from her. She used different names - spelling her original name slightly differently, using her middle name, using her maiden name, which made it difficult to pin anything against her on paper. It was ridiculous how easy it was for her to avoid any kind of sanction. If I had to do it over, I would think very hard about whether it would be worth the aggro.
Bananabrain11/02/2020 09:50

I've done it twice. Once against a national chain, who settled for the …I've done it twice. Once against a national chain, who settled for the full amount (thousands) a few days before it went to court. Lots of huffing and puffing from them beforehand via nasty letters, but I stayed firm.Second time was against an individual. She never responded, so default judgement in my favour. I eventually got a CCJ against her but had absolutely no luck getting anything back from her. She used different names - spelling her original name slightly differently, using her middle name, using her maiden name, which made it difficult to pin anything against her on paper. It was ridiculous how easy it was for her to avoid any kind of sanction. If I had to do it over, I would think very hard about whether it would be worth the aggro.

That’s a very good informative response

I've done it twice. Once against a national chain, who settled for the …I've done it twice. Once against a national chain, who settled for the full amount (thousands) a few days before it went to court. Lots of huffing and puffing from them beforehand via nasty letters, but I stayed firm.Second time was against an individual. She never responded, so default judgement in my favour. I eventually got a CCJ against her but had absolutely no luck getting anything back from her. She used different names - spelling her original name slightly differently, using her middle name, using her maiden name, which made it difficult to pin anything against her on paper. It was ridiculous how easy it was for her to avoid any kind of sanction. If I had to do it over, I would think very hard about whether it would be worth the aggro.

At least you made it difficult for her too (though hopefully not expensive for you).
IF you are owned loads from a big company... go for it! If you are owed less than a grand from a small company.... don't bother!

Smart lady
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants