Small leak in washing machine cold water valve

Found 20th Jul 2017
We are moving the washing machine to another area so I disconnected the cold water valve but there is a very small leak from the valve that is now left open so water droplets fall on to the floor every 5 minutes or so.

Is there an easy way to stop this leaking apart from fitting a new valve? We don't need that valve any more as the washing machine is going somewhere else.

Pic of valve in first post.

17 Comments

Original Poster

pic of valve

Edited by: "mutley1" 20th Jul 2017

Can you fit a blank on the end

First thing to attempt is to 'fix' the valve. These rarely get moved so there could have been a little bit of crud/dirt that has got stuck to the ball. Isolate the water and open/close the valve (rotating 90 degress) multiple times - then switch the water back on and monitor for leaks.

If it still leaks you could just remove the valve and fit a 15mm compression stop end - toolstation.com/sho…972

Just need two adjustable spanners to do this.

Just fit a 3/4 bsp cap end to the open end of the valve. No need for any spanners or turning off the water and hand tight should be fine. Make sure the rubber washer is in the cap.

Like this one from Toolstation. Should be available from other diy shops.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p51790?table=no
Edited by: "Bob_B" 20th Jul 2017

If its leaking from the joint before the blue tap then plumbers tape. If its the open end after the blue tap then a blanking cap can be found for a few quid.

Original Poster

Van19731 h, 22 m ago

First thing to attempt is to 'fix' the valve. These rarely get moved so …First thing to attempt is to 'fix' the valve. These rarely get moved so there could have been a little bit of crud/dirt that has got stuck to the ball. Isolate the water and open/close the valve (rotating 90 degress) multiple times - then switch the water back on and monitor for leaks.If it still leaks you could just remove the valve and fit a 15mm compression stop end - https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/d20/Compression/sd2697/Compression+Stop+End/p87972Just need two adjustable spanners to do this.

ummmm... like i used a grip spanner on the valve to tighten it when it did not stop once turned. i broke the plastic handle so i feel a bit silly at the moment! i think the valve is kaputt now that i have broken the plastic bit.

i will have a look for the end cap as the leak is from the open end of the valve since the plastic handle was not able to fully close it.

mutley114 m ago

ummmm... like i used a grip spanner on the valve to tighten it when it did …ummmm... like i used a grip spanner on the valve to tighten it when it did not stop once turned. i broke the plastic handle so i feel a bit silly at the moment! i think the valve is kaputt now that i have broken the plastic bit.i will have a look for the end cap as the leak is from the open end of the valve since the plastic handle was not able to fully close it.

You don't need the plastic handle, it just makes it easier. Take the screw out, thus removing the remnants of the handle. Now you can open and close to your hearts content with a spanner.

Original Poster

pinkleponkle6 m ago

You don't need the plastic handle, it just makes it easier. Take the …You don't need the plastic handle, it just makes it easier. Take the screw out, thus removing the remnants of the handle. Now you can open and close to your hearts content with a spanner.

yup did this and flooded the utitlity room. lol.

to my dismay, it is not about tightening the valve, it has to be in the right position as too much to the left or too much to the right and water poors out like no tomorrow. oh dear.

mutley141 m ago

yup did this and flooded the utitlity room. lol.to my dismay, it is not …yup did this and flooded the utitlity room. lol.to my dismay, it is not about tightening the valve, it has to be in the right position as too much to the left or too much to the right and water poors out like no tomorrow. oh dear.

It doesn't have a stop, it's a forever spinning ball, you just have to line the spindle correctly. Parallel to valve, open, across is, closed

Original Poster

pinkleponkle8 m ago

It doesn't have a stop, it's a forever spinning ball, you just have to …It doesn't have a stop, it's a forever spinning ball, you just have to line the spindle correctly. Parallel to valve, open, across is, closed

but now that the plastic section is broken, i can not tell where the position of across is any more. it all look the same now! it has to be exactly in place if the leak is to stop completely but how to identify this extremely precise position is not easy. that was the whole point of the plastic guide, except it did not work properly.

it could be that the valve can no longer fully stop the water.

Admit it. You found out your husband had washed his trainers in the washing machine so you had to get rid !

psychobitchfromhell11 m ago

Admit it. You found out your husband had washed his trainers in the …Admit it. You found out your husband had washed his trainers in the washing machine so you had to get rid !

It's when they find car parts in the dishwasher it gets interesting.

Original Poster

pinkleponkle2 h, 46 m ago

It doesn't have a stop, it's a forever spinning ball, you just have to …It doesn't have a stop, it's a forever spinning ball, you just have to line the spindle correctly. Parallel to valve, open, across is, closed

actually now that you have mentioned this, i went back and looked carefully at the small valve (what is left of it now that i have broke it!) and i tried to work out what is 'across' position and so used the plier to move it to that position and manage to get the drip to once every 30 minutes, so a great improvement from once every five minutes! (i had just willy nilly turned it left and right before.)

i will get an end cap as i can't spend any more time getting the precise positioning and i think the valve is faulty so it can not shut completely but thanks for your suggestion as it has definately helped.

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell46 m ago

Admit it. You found out your husband had washed his trainers in the …Admit it. You found out your husband had washed his trainers in the washing machine so you had to get rid !

i would have a fit and there will be very huge rows. he used to do the washing until i told him to stop and let me do it as i don't like the way he mixes all the washing together. he is quite happy for me to do the washing as it saves him having to do it! i don't even let him hang the washing out as i want to hang it in a certain way.

when he lived alone, he used to get his cleaner to do his washing for him!

mutley1

i would have a fit and there will be very huge rows. he used to do the … i would have a fit and there will be very huge rows. he used to do the washing until i told him to stop and let me do it as i don't like the way he mixes all the washing together. he is quite happy for me to do the washing as it saves him having to do it! i don't even let him hang the washing out as i want to hang it in a certain way.when he lived alone, he used to get his cleaner to do his washing for him!

My late husband had a habit of washing by type rather than by colour. I remember him once doing a school uniform wash. He washed black trousers with white polo shirts and brand new jade green sweatshirts. Needless to say it did not end well.

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell7 h, 7 m ago

My late husband had a habit of washing by type rather than by colour. I …My late husband had a habit of washing by type rather than by colour. I remember him once doing a school uniform wash. He washed black trousers with white polo shirts and brand new jade green sweatshirts. Needless to say it did not end well.

i am afraid i am like this. i got my husband's white t-shirts turned pink as i put it in with a new red cushion cover. not to mention his white underpants also turned pink. he was not pleased and said he could not wear pink clothes. lol.

mutley1

i am afraid i am like this. i got my husband's white t-shirts turned pink … i am afraid i am like this. i got my husband's white t-shirts turned pink as i put it in with a new red cushion cover. not to mention his white underpants also turned pink. he was not pleased and said he could not wear pink clothes. lol.

Needs to get in touch with his feminine side
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants