Small window to claim any parcels at City Link today (Monday 29th)

51 replies
Found 29th Dec 2015
City Link have opened their doors today for anyone to claim their parcels...

Turns out the people in charge knew this was happening at the back end of November and kept it quiet to avoid rumours...

Most staff to be laid of New years Eve with no redundancy

51 Comments

So what happens to those that aren't claimed? I for one love an hour away from my nearest hub along with thousands of others.

Original Poster

unquestioned

So what happens to those that aren't claimed? I for one love an hour away … So what happens to those that aren't claimed? I for one love an hour away from my nearest hub along with thousands of others.

to be decided, but likely destroyed

Small, but functional...

http://www.entireprojects.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/callers-after.jpg

(Unlike this image)

They were terrible. Good riddence.

The owner (Better Capital) should have handled this better. If I were a customer of their "investments" I would pull my money out.

Banned

Aeschylus

to be decided, but likely destroyed

Where did you get that from?
Surely they will be either returned to the sender or auctioned off by the administrators?

davey369

Where did you get that from?Surely they will be either returned to the … Where did you get that from?Surely they will be either returned to the sender or auctioned off by the administrators?

You can't auction something that doesn't belong to you.

Banned

Paddy_o_furniture

You can't auction something that doesn't belong to you.

Nor can you keep or destroy something that doesn't belong to you.

davey369

Didn't dispute that. Mind saying that it doesn't stop the USA running rampage in the middle east.

Original Poster

davey369

Where did you get that from?Surely they will be either returned to the … Where did you get that from?Surely they will be either returned to the sender or auctioned off by the administrators?

if the person/company has not collected them from the depot, and the business is closing of course they have the right to destroy... JOhn Lewis for example has already sent couriers to collect any of it's parcel at their depots, they have to do something with them, hopefully the staff will be allowed to look through them and get anything valuable, it is up to the sender/company to get them back

the report is in the Telegraph

"City Link, which went into administration on Christmas Eve, has not ruled out destroying parcels if they are not reclaimed quickly "

"
The fate of uncollected mail “will be discussed and agreed with City Link’s customers” as the company is wound up, but it refused to rule out destroying any packages that are not claimed by the sender or recipient.

The administrators said the depot doors would only stay open for “a short period of time”.

Edited by: "Aeschylus" 29th Dec 2015

Banned

of course they don't have the right to destroy parcels which don't belong to them and haven't been picked up in an 8 hour period of their choosing. A lot of companies close down for 2 weeks over Christmas, Alot of people go away, it is entirely unreasonable to expect people to collect someone on one day in the middle of a holiday period. As the staff still seem to be working, they should be out delivering the stuff they have sitting around in depots, instead of standing outside doing protests!
If it hasn't been collected within a couple of weeks or so, then yes, dispose of it, but not after a day or so.
Edited by: "davey369" 29th Dec 2015

davey369

As the staff still seem to be working, they should be out delivering the … As the staff still seem to be working, they should be out delivering the stuff they have sitting around in depots, instead of standing outside doing protests!

You do realise they probably aren't getting paid, right?

Original Poster

davey369

of course they don't have the right to destroy parcels which don't belong … of course they don't have the right to destroy parcels which don't belong to them and haven't been picked up in an 8 hour period of their choosing. A lot of companies close down for 2 weeks over Christmas, Alot of people go away, it is entirely unreasonable to expect people to collect someone on one day in the middle of a holiday period. As the staff still seem to be working, they should be out delivering the stuff they have sitting around in depots, instead of standing outside doing protests!If it hasn't been collected within a couple of weeks or so, then yes, dispose of it, but not after a day or so.

Not today they don't....but it seems they close the doors today and that is it.....nearly all staff will be made redundant what do you suppose they do....if the business ceases then they have no choice but to destroy.....they could do a return to sender but that will cost thousands so they won't do that...

If it's not collected then the adminstrators will be the legal owners of the parcel as they step in and take the company and all possessions, so legally they can do whatever they like with the parcel it doesn't actually belong to the addressee until it has been delivered

jojo1981_2

If it's not collected then the adminstrators will be the legal owners of … If it's not collected then the adminstrators will be the legal owners of the parcel as they step in and take the company and all possessions, so legally they can do whatever they like with the parcel it doesn't actually belong to the addressee until it has been delivered

Surely it becomes the property of the recipient once it's been paid for?

Banned

if they aren't collected they will be treated just like any other item that has been considered "lost in the post" and auctioned off

I've bought countless undelivered items from auctions

jojo1981_2

If it's not collected then the adminstrators will be the legal owners of … If it's not collected then the adminstrators will be the legal owners of the parcel as they step in and take the company and all possessions, so legally they can do whatever they like with the parcel it doesn't actually belong to the addressee until it has been delivered

This is an interesting situation. Who is the legal owner of the contents of the parcels? CityLink do not own the contents whilst the items are in transit. The recipient doesn't own them until delivered. Therefore, it will be the sender. If items are destroyed and don't arrive, the recipients get refunded by the sender, and the sender would become a creditor perhaps? (i.e. likely never see anything back in this situation). Really bad whatever way you read it.

I had to return something to Amazon via them on December 24th , now I don't know what I should be doing , does Amazon have to try and collect it or me :-\ ?

I really feel for the staff the poor guy who collected it from me Christmas eve will now be jobless

davey369

..........Elgin Marbles!?

How do you know if your parcel is here?I have bought a few things in the sales after Christmas. How do you know who are delivering the items?

The contents don't even matter the parcel as a whole becomes property of city link once they take it from dispatch just the same as a letter once posted it becomes property of Royal Mail u cannot take a letter back once it has been posted and is exactly the same as a parcel!
The creditors will own any unclaimed parcels once they close the doors and it is legally up to the, what happens with them.
Some of city link has been bought out by dpd so least some jobs are saved

Such a shame. Really feel for the people who are going through this. Hopefully most will find new jobs soon and work for a better company that doesn't wait until Christmas to drop the bad news and ruin peoples Christmases

Banned

TheVoice

You do realise they probably aren't getting paid, right?

I've seen nothing to suggest that City Link staff aren't going to get paid.

Banned

jojo1981_2

The contents don't even matter the parcel as a whole becomes property of … The contents don't even matter the parcel as a whole becomes property of city link once they take it from dispatch just the same as a letter once posted it becomes property of Royal Mail u cannot take a letter back once it has been posted and is exactly the same as a parcel!

Sorry but you are completely wrong on that.

Banned

m.ad

Such a shame. Really feel for the people who are going through this. … Such a shame. Really feel for the people who are going through this. Hopefully most will find new jobs soon and work for a better company that doesn't wait until Christmas to drop the bad news and ruin peoples Christmases

they were trying to keep the business running while finding a buyer, the point where they couldn't do either was reached on xmas eve

just out of interest would you of kept everyone working for another month and then said we have no money for wages?

the owners are probably thinking they shouldn't of wasted a £1 buying the long term loss making company in the first place

If you've bought something it remains the responsibility of the seller until it is delivered. i.e. they need to collect it & get it redelivered. Small sellers (ebay etc.) might try to put the onus on purchaser but the big companies will sort things out. I would think that ebay / paypal guarantees apply if small firms don't play ball.

They said on the news this morning that uncollected parcels will be destroyed x

miikeyblue

Surely it becomes the property of the recipient once it's been paid for?

A parcel belongs to the sender, until the parcel is delivered to the recipient. City Link should be a carrier and nothing else. They should not have rights to keep/sell/destroy any property which they have not yet delivered.

OnPoint

I had to return something to Amazon via them on December 24th , now I … I had to return something to Amazon via them on December 24th , now I don't know what I should be doing , does Amazon have to try and collect it or me :-\ ? I really feel for the staff the poor guy who collected it from me Christmas eve will now be jobless

Presume that's down to you - will amazon even know you have sent it??

Banned

splatsplatsplat

A parcel belongs to the sender, until the parcel is delivered to the … A parcel belongs to the sender, until the parcel is delivered to the recipient. City Link should be a carrier and nothing else. They should not have rights to keep/sell/destroy any property which they have not yet delivered.

which is why they are giving people an opportunity to recover parcels or as with anything that is left with a company that has gone bust it will be disposed of if not claimed

jo-bb

Presume that's down to you - will amazon even know you have sent it??

It was Amazon who arranged for them to collect the damaged item, it does have tracking showing it's been collected but it's not made it to the national hub. I've now spoken to Amazon on the Chat facility, they had already refunded me and said I won't be charged again but I'm not overly sure they got what I was saying as it's a foreign centre that deals with these things.

Didn't City Link almost go under a year or so back? I think they should be sending parcels back to the senders.

Unreasonable to expect people to go collect their parcels giving that some people live really far away from depot or haven't even got their own transport and these depots are usually really out the way. I expect who they bought from will refund the order depending who it is, not all will I expect.

OnPoint

It was Amazon who arranged for them to collect the damaged item, it does … It was Amazon who arranged for them to collect the damaged item, it does have tracking showing it's been collected but it's not made it to the national hub. I've now spoken to Amazon on the Chat facility, they had already refunded me and said I won't be charged again but I'm not overly sure they got what I was saying as it's a foreign centre that deals with these things.

Just make sure your keep your receipt incase they ask you to provide it later on, Amazon are pretty good so I'd expect you will get your refund.

Mum2ConnornCerys

Just make sure your keep your receipt incase they ask you to provide it … Just make sure your keep your receipt incase they ask you to provide it later on, Amazon are pretty good so I'd expect you will get your refund.

I asked the guy for a receipt he said they don't give them , you just use the tracking number *sigh . Oh well it was paid for on the credit card so will have that as cover hopefully as it wasn't a cheap item.

Banned

Mum2ConnornCerys

Didn't City Link almost go under a year or so back? I think they should … Didn't City Link almost go under a year or so back? I think they should be sending parcels back to the senders.Unreasonable to expect people to go collect their parcels giving that some people live really far away from depot or haven't even got their own transport and these depots are usually really out the way. I expect who they bought from will refund the order depending who it is, not all will I expect.

its ok saying its unreasonable, but if you were in charge how without spending money you haven't got would you deal with it in a reasonable way?

Banned

OnPoint

I asked the guy for a receipt he said they don't give them , you just use … I asked the guy for a receipt he said they don't give them , you just use the tracking number *sigh . Oh well it was paid for on the credit card so will have that as cover hopefully as it wasn't a cheap item.

just take a screenshot of the tracking page, although I suspect you won't have a problem with amazon

whatsThePoint

its ok saying its unreasonable, but if you were in charge how without … its ok saying its unreasonable, but if you were in charge how without spending money you haven't got would you deal with it in a reasonable way?

They knew it was going happen, yet they kept on taking parcels on board to deliver, returns and so on.
Chances are most parcels customers will get refunded, the worst off will be the staff, they will pay the price everyday until they find employment elsewhere.

Banned

Mum2ConnornCerys

They knew it was going happen, yet they kept on taking parcels on board … They knew it was going happen, yet they kept on taking parcels on board to deliver, returns and so on. Chances are most parcels customers will get refunded, the worst off will be the staff, they will pay the price everyday until they find employment elsewhere.

the last owners would of been facing the same crisis, but they sold it at the last minute rather than shut it down at the first sign of trouble like you are suggesting
what if a possible buyer had been found on Christmas eve but you had already told all your customers to go elsewhere?

whatsThePoint

the last owners would of been facing the same crisis, but they sold it at … the last owners would of been facing the same crisis, but they sold it at the last minute rather than shut it down at the first sign of trouble like you are suggestingwhat if a possible buyer had been found on Christmas eve but you had already told all your customers to go elsewhere?

They would have to see about getting new contracts with big companies. That's the chances they would take, either way new changes would have to be made to try ensure their company runs smoothly. There not a simple answer to this,if there was then there wouldn't be the mess there is now to sort out.Like I say the chances are a lot of customers will get refunds or the parcel resent out by big companies,some people be able to claim via their banks.

Banned

Mum2ConnornCerys

They would have to see about getting new contracts with big companies. … They would have to see about getting new contracts with big companies. That's the chances they would take, either way new changes would have to be made to try ensure their company runs smoothly. There not a simple answer to this,if there was then there wouldn't be the mess there is now to sort out.Like I say the chances are a lot of customers will get refunds or the parcel resent out by big companies,some people be able to claim via their banks.

no one would be interested in taking over a company that had just told all its contracts to go elsewhere, its the contracts that give a company value, so for weeks/months you would have nearly 3000 staff with nothing to do as you try to find new customers, so in an instant by turning customers away you have turned what could be a viable business with a chance of survival into a worthless one that will without doubt close

the simple and only answer is do what always happens and what happened in this case, you keep the company running as long as possible in the hope a buyer can be found before pulling the plug when you have no other option
you certainly don't condemned a company to certain death by saying to customers stay away we may be facing financial trouble (which plenty of companies have recovered from because they kept trading)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Coming up to bonfire night ...2335
    2. Misco about to go into administration1014
    3. Free escape route from TalkMobile to Vodafone11
    4. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…1834

See more discussions