Smart bulbs

Found 27th Jul
I recently purchased the hive thermostat and it came with the smart hub so im also thinking to get some smart bulbs however i am unsure whether to get the hive bulbs or get the philips hub and get other 3rd party bulbs. Just need some help to decide which to get. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
I have the hive thermostat too but I went for some bulbs from eBay for about £10. Had them for nearly a year now and have been great. I suppose if you went for hive again you could just control through the same app but it's up to you.
Greeko864 m ago

I have the hive thermostat too but I went for some bulbs from eBay for …I have the hive thermostat too but I went for some bulbs from eBay for about £10. Had them for nearly a year now and have been great. I suppose if you went for hive again you could just control through the same app but it's up to you.

Were they hive’s own bulbs or third party ones that worked with hive?
VGamer41 m ago

You can get Hive, but it's not necessary. I recommed Xiaomi Yeelights, they are amazing and cheap!

I have both, Hive (white only) and Yeelight (colour). While Hive has a more natural default light colour, Yeelight doesn't need a hub. Yeelight is cheaper and offers more, so I'd choose that.
jamie0151 h, 28 m ago

You can get Hive, but it's not necessary. I recommed Xiaomi Yeelights, …You can get Hive, but it's not necessary. I recommed Xiaomi Yeelights, they are amazing and cheap!I have both, Hive (white only) and Yeelight (colour). While Hive has a more natural default light colour, Yeelight doesn't need a hub. Yeelight is cheaper and offers more, so I'd choose that.

Without a Hub does that not mean that each bulb is directly connected via WiFi to your router? Going via a hub limits the number of connections both from a capacity perspective and internet security.
Oneday7712 m ago

Without a Hub does that not mean that each bulb is directly connected via …Without a Hub does that not mean that each bulb is directly connected via WiFi to your router? Going via a hub limits the number of connections both from a capacity perspective and internet security.

Each bulb is connected via WiFi. I don't see why people would want to hack your lightbulb, the worst thing that could happen is that they keep on turning it on and off, which is highly unlikely.
jamie01527th Jul

Each bulb is connected via WiFi. I don't see why people would want to hack …Each bulb is connected via WiFi. I don't see why people would want to hack your lightbulb, the worst thing that could happen is that they keep on turning it on and off, which is highly unlikely.

Its more that it becomes a route into your network
VGamer3 h, 5 m ago

I use them with Google assistant/Alexa and not with the hive system so I tell Google/Alexa to turn lights off or change colour etc
Greeko861 h, 58 m ago

I use them with Google assistant/Alexa and not with the hive system so I …I use them with Google assistant/Alexa and not with the hive system so I tell Google/Alexa to turn lights off or change colour etc

Which bulbs are they? Do you mind sending me a link?
I'm also using Yeelight/Xiaomi, by far the best budget bulbs and way better than some generic Chinese junk.
Oneday7721 h, 49 m ago

Its more that it becomes a route into your network

I'm not too worried, if anyone wanted to access my network badly enough, I'm sure there would always be a way.
Edited by: "jamie015" 28th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants