Expired

Smart card readers and affects they have on mobile devices

Found 1st Dec 2013
Was curious if smart card readers such as oyster card and door entry pads will affect a mobile phone, reason being, I was thinking of getting a phone case that will hold my oyster card and work pass and simply placing this onto the readers.
Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
5 Comments
No a mobile Phone will not affect any sort of contactless card including the Oyster card. They operate on different technologies and frequencies.

A Mobile may affect the mag stripe on a train ticket etc but that is because the use Lo-Co Magnetic stripes and the mobile phone will affect this. It won't affect any bank cards however.
Original Poster
And I take it the reader itself will not damage my phone in any way
No not at all. The Readers produce very low RF signals that power up a contactless card so it can transmit data but this is limited to a few CM. A Phone on the other hand transmits data over a long distance so the power output is a lot higher so the reader will not damage a phone.

Just to summarise, putting your oyster card, and a contactless work pass in a holder on a mobile will not damage either card, phone or reader in any way.
Just seen on your previous post that you have a Galaxy S4.

This has an phone NFC chip in, NFC is the same standard as used in contactless bank cards. The Oyster and work pass use a lower standard but all use the same frequency, and the only reason for the lower standard is that they don't need to be as secure as a bank card. So if the phone affected NFC or vice versa they wouldn't be able to put it in the same device

Sorry, i work for the worlds largest smart card and security company so i deal with this from customers day in / day out
Original Poster
Thanks for taking the time to answer my question mate, looks like you know what you are talking about

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions