Smart Electricity Meters

6 replies
Found 3rd Nov 2009
Just been told by the meter reader that the electricity companies are going to install smart meters in our homes soon. These have a SIM card in them that sends the readings to them. He said that it looks like there will not be any meter readers in a few years time. We cannot opt out of having the new meter and will be charged £150 for the privilege of having one installed. Some business and schools already have them.

6 Comments

Refuse to pay the £150.

There's no charge for a domestic smart meter...

The cost of a business one used to be £192 but these days it's bundled into the contract as an incentive, that's probably where he gets his £150 from.

The government want all homes to be fitted with these by 2020. I was not aware there was a charge for this as the power companies will be recouping their costs by not having meter readers to pay for.

Original Poster

Flodd;6766260

There's no charge for a domestic smart meter...

I hope so. It was my business meter that was read this morning and the reader didn't specify which one he meant.:thumbsup: Looks like I'll still have to pay:)

Predikuesi;6766364

I hope so. It was my business meter that was read this morning and the … I hope so. It was my business meter that was read this morning and the reader didn't specify which one he meant.:thumbsup: Looks like I'll still have to pay:)

It won't come to that...

Flodd;6766267

The cost of a business one used to be £192 but these days it's bundled … The cost of a business one used to be £192 but these days it's bundled into the contract as an incentive, that's probably where he gets his £150 from.

Just have it bundled into your contract on re-negotiation :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Aliexpress - To be trusted?11
    2. Incorrect Amazon refunds - how can I make sure they don't owe me any more m…815
    3. I’m in dire need of a dash cam with remote viewing capability over 4G918
    4. Driving anxiety.2734

See more discussions