Smart Energy Meters - worth having one?

Found 20th MarEdited by:"Dadlet"
Hello all - Keep getting bugged by my Energy company to get a smart energy meter, on the face of it ,it makes sense, however once you have one is it still easy to swap suppliers in the future? Also there was a bit of a scary feature on watchdog a few months back. Any other pro's and cons to getting one any willing to share?______
Update: 21/03/18
Thanks to all who contributed: Sounds like its more of a No than Yes.. as I suspected, gonna off and rerad the meter twice a year ( no hardship) and keep telling the family to turn the blooming lights off!..lol
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
jayonline8533 m ago

I wouldn’t want one after reading up on them. It’s not a legal requirement …I wouldn’t want one after reading up on them. It’s not a legal requirement and you don’t have to explain why you don’t want one to your energy supplier. Also it’s just another device that lets off EMF radiation, they say its safe but that’s being added to other devices that have EMF, laptops, tablets, Bluetooth devices and routers. So for me I don’t want one unless i’m seeing big benefits. But that’s just my opinion, each to their own

tinfoil hat alert!
39 Comments
I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. I refused to have one. It can connect with all of your wifi devices, it was partially designed by GCHQ whos main function in life is to spy on the British public.
No.. If there were variable tariffs like.. 1am until 6am free electricity then yeah.. Be good, but not at the moment as near useless
123thisisme14 m ago

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. I refused to have one. It can …I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. I refused to have one. It can connect with all of your wifi devices, it was partially designed by GCHQ whos main function in life is to spy on the British public.

Are you 100% sure of this ?
I wouldn’t want one after reading up on them. It’s not a legal requirement and you don’t have to explain why you don’t want one to your energy supplier. Also it’s just another device that lets off EMF radiation, they say its safe but that’s being added to other devices that have EMF, laptops, tablets, Bluetooth devices and routers. So for me I don’t want one unless i’m seeing big benefits. But that’s just my opinion, each to their own
I had one ,now in the loft unplugged it was ok at first makes you more aware of what your using
123thisisme47 m ago

I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. I refused to have one. It can …I wouldn't touch one with a barge pole. I refused to have one. It can connect with all of your wifi devices, it was partially designed by GCHQ whos main function in life is to spy on the British public.

So you also don't have (presumably) a:

smartphone
SMART TV
Alexa (or similar)
PC/tablet
Kindle etc

and the list keep growing

Give up worrying (and visiting sites you don't want them to find in your browsing history )
jayonline8533 m ago

I wouldn’t want one after reading up on them. It’s not a legal requirement …I wouldn’t want one after reading up on them. It’s not a legal requirement and you don’t have to explain why you don’t want one to your energy supplier. Also it’s just another device that lets off EMF radiation, they say its safe but that’s being added to other devices that have EMF, laptops, tablets, Bluetooth devices and routers. So for me I don’t want one unless i’m seeing big benefits. But that’s just my opinion, each to their own

tinfoil hat alert!
mattsk8 m ago

tinfoil hat alert!

An excellent form of heat retention - providing energy saving benefits within any home, or bunker.
No way. Staying away from this one.
mattsk27 m ago

tinfoil hat alert!

Lol it’s all good my friend
mattsk32 m ago

tinfoil hat alert!

33475895-dPFSY.jpg
Just ordered. Can’t wait to wear it on the school run
had one for 2 years. love it.
Just make sure it's installed correctly - colleague of mine has just nearly had her house burnt down
Old saying "never be an early adopter of new technology".
This government sponsored dogs breakfast certainly qualifies.
ccnp1 h, 16 m ago

So you also don't have (presumably) a:smartphoneSMART TVAlexa (or …So you also don't have (presumably) a:smartphoneSMART TVAlexa (or similar)PC/tabletKindle etcand the list keep growingGive up worrying (and visiting sites you don't want them to find in your browsing history )

As far as I am aware GCHQ has had no input into those devices.
I had one it did not connect to my WiFi it had its own connection I believe. I don't have the monitor plugged in now because I unlikely to change my usage in the foreseeable future so the bill is what it is.
123thisisme9 m ago

Yes.

So you reversed engineered one ?
kester766 m ago

So you reversed engineered one ?

No, I read an article in the Telegraph a couple of years back. There are plenty of other sources on the net if you go look.
123thisisme37 m ago

No, I read an article in the Telegraph a couple of years back. There are …No, I read an article in the Telegraph a couple of years back. There are plenty of other sources on the net if you go look.

I've read about yeti and UFO on telegraph as well
to answer your question, it is easy to swap suppliers however the meter will revert to a standard non smart meter. Ofgem are working on getting smart meters to be universal so if that's your main concern then wait.

A lot of people don't see the point as you use what you use, but even if you don't use the smart monitor, its still handy having the smart meters as your supplier will always bill you to an accurate read instead of estimates, and save you the trouble of doing it.
123thisisme2 h, 35 m ago

As far as I am aware GCHQ has had no input into those devices.

The CIA Probably have though
SmokinAce72 h, 14 m ago

to answer your question, it is easy to swap suppliers however the meter …to answer your question, it is easy to swap suppliers however the meter will revert to a standard non smart meter. Ofgem are working on getting smart meters to be universal so if that's your main concern then wait.A lot of people don't see the point as you use what you use, but even if you don't use the smart monitor, its still handy having the smart meters as your supplier will always bill you to an accurate read instead of estimates, and save you the trouble of doing it.

The supplier charges you for it to be removed, something they don’t tell you. So you’re trapped
123thisisme5 h, 31 m ago

Does it need to connect to your local network for it to work?
I’m not getting one until it is possible to freely move suppliers. I don’t know how they got away with the system they’ve rolled out so far.
I had one with my previous supplier but since moved and it is now just a dumb meter that I manually read each month to submit a reading.

It had it's own sim card. no connection to my Network. Since moving the old supplier has to electronically disconnect their connection to it under data protection laws.

Nothing against smart meters in principle but it is ridiculous that they are still fitting meters that can only be read by the installing supplier - I'll be waiting till the universal meters are rolled out before agreeing to another one.

As to anyone wanting to find out when I'm not in they only need to sit outside my house to do that! Master criminals have bigger fish to fry than me!
jayonline855 h, 25 m ago

[Image] Just ordered. Can’t wait to wear it on the school run

Excellent
I perhaps can’t speak on behalf of everyone but I work for BG and they don’t charge to replace someone else’s smart meter, we simply go out and put in our own at no extra cost, it’s only the same as taking out an ordinary meter
Many smart meters instalations take more than one engineer visit to complete, so be prepared for multiple days off work to allow for this.
mattsk20 h, 15 m ago

I've read about yeti and UFO on telegraph as well

Link please.
toddyj998718 h, 33 m ago

The CIA Probably have though

I doubt it but if you can find any kind of evidence it would be interesting.
rev617 h, 46 m ago

Does it need to connect to your local network for it to work?

It connects to the supplier via sim card, but has the capabilty to connect to your wifi devices.
123thisisme29 m ago

I doubt it but if you can find any kind of evidence it would be …I doubt it but if you can find any kind of evidence it would be interesting.

I would be pretty sure that the CIA and the likes wouldn't go shouting about what they have helped develop as people would stop buying certain products. I personally have nothing to hide and my browsing history is clean so not that bothered who helped make what
dorey6920th Mar

The supplier charges you for it to be removed, something they don’t tell y …The supplier charges you for it to be removed, something they don’t tell you. So you’re trapped

No they don't so no you're not
Dannyrobbo20th Mar

I’m not getting one until it is possible to freely move suppliers. I d …I’m not getting one until it is possible to freely move suppliers. I don’t know how they got away with the system they’ve rolled out so far.

It is. Ofgem have stated it must not be harder to change supplier if you have a smart meter fitted.
Pandamansays21 h, 6 m ago

Many smart meters instalations take more than one engineer visit to …Many smart meters instalations take more than one engineer visit to complete, so be prepared for multiple days off work to allow for this.

Almost 100% of installations are completed in one visit.
123thisisme11 h, 32 m ago

It connects to the supplier via sim card, but has the capabilty to connect …It connects to the supplier via sim card, but has the capabilty to connect to your wifi devices.

No it doesn't.
craigstephens1 h, 18 m ago

It is. Ofgem have stated it must not be harder to change supplier if you …It is. Ofgem have stated it must not be harder to change supplier if you have a smart meter fitted.

They have, but nothing to say they can’t offer alternative tariffs to those with smart meters.

i meant change my supplier and keep my smart meter installed. Whoever issued this contract should have stated early on that they should be fully compatable. If I got one when offered I would have had to change it twice already
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants