Groups

Smart guys: Is it possible to change uni accommodation NAT settings?

I have an ethernet port in my accommodation at uni, I can't access settings and I cant have a router on it. I manage to get xbox live through using my laptop as a wireless access point. My nat settings are strict, is there any way at all i can change this? Cheers.

7 Comments

Home plug adapters? and yes thats more of a guess...

yaeh i'm sure the uni will let anyone muck about with their settings, only thing you could do is ask them nicely as dcx_badass says.

When I was at uni I used Tunneling to get through their firewalls etc, I used a company called Loho, not sure if they are still about, had access to steam / torrents and everything

dcx_badass

Lol, not even the tiniest bit relevant to this thread.And no you can't do … Lol, not even the tiniest bit relevant to this thread.And no you can't do it, you could try asking them.

lol yeah they'll deffo go for that one!

and the relevance was running the connection through the adapters could help open up the NAT settings, similar to the plan to use a router previously mentioned....as I did say it was a guess...I know when I was at Uni we didnt have this problem with running live...but then I think it was for the original xbox.
    Edited by: "bfjem" 16th Feb 2011

dcx_badass

Why not, worth a try? My Uni halls had private internet (who supplied the … Why not, worth a try? My Uni halls had private internet (who supplied the halls), and they'd do stuff like this for us, hell they hosted their own game servers. The ISP is a pretty big one who supply the internet to a number of Uni halls and residences.

I guess it boils down to whether they will be able to change the settings for the whole network etc? If the OP got a few people to back him the Uni might be swayed into making the changes.

Agree with dcx on this one, speak to uni about getting ports you need forwarded. No harm in asking as I can't see any other way possible without their help.

You'll be able to count their response with one finger (or maybe two)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846165
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764205
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?31136
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio33

See more discussions