Smart Home sensors

Found 7th Feb
I've got alexa and Google home along with tp link smart plugs, hive heating and yeelight colour bulbs. I'd like to automate things (like switch on the lights and heating when I walk in the front door) but I'm not sure what to buy. Any recommendations?
Community Updates
AskElectronics
16 Comments
When I walk in through my front door there is a curious antiquated thing called a light switch to my left and to my right the control panel for the central heating. I can operate both of these instantly with one finger when I enter my property. I'm getting old.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 29 m ago

When I walk in through my front door there is a curious antiquated thing …When I walk in through my front door there is a curious antiquated thing called a light switch to my left and to my right the control panel for the central heating. I can operate both of these instantly with one finger when I enter my property. I'm getting old.

Not at the same time you can't, lol.
If your thermostat has a sensor it may be possible using IFTTT. I have also heard it’s possible to do it as you approach home using your gps location.
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 46 m ago

When I walk in through my front door there is a curious antiquated thing …When I walk in through my front door there is a curious antiquated thing called a light switch to my left and to my right the control panel for the central heating. I can operate both of these instantly with one finger when I enter my property. I'm getting old.

That’s so last century! :-p

On a serious note the main advantage to automation is the ability to control lights when away from home, turning them off/on or if the weather turns particularly cold being able to turn the heating on ahead of coming home so when you get home your house is a little more toasty than walking in and seeing your breath!
cmdr_elito1 h, 3 m ago

If your thermostat has a sensor it may be possible using IFTTT. I have …If your thermostat has a sensor it may be possible using IFTTT. I have also heard it’s possible to do it as you approach home using your gps location.

Yep - IFTTT will do this for you, you already have enough kit to do this (assuming you have a Smart phone).

ifttt.com/search

Create an Applet using "Location" to trigger control of your Hive/TP Link plugs. Basically whenever you enter an area you set to be around your home address you can action both your Hive and TP Link appliances to operate automatically. Likewise you can action these to also action when you leave this area.
You should watch mr Robot
psychobitchfromhell5 h, 3 m ago

im confused, how do companies market adverts at you if you dont have "smart" devices
sgandtg6 h, 56 m ago

Not at the same time you can't, lol.

Agreed. There would be a two second delay between the two actions. So prehistoric.
cmdr_elito5 h, 43 m ago

That’s so last century! :-pOn a serious note the main advantage to a …That’s so last century! :-pOn a serious note the main advantage to automation is the ability to control lights when away from home, turning them off/on or if the weather turns particularly cold being able to turn the heating on ahead of coming home so when you get home your house is a little more toasty than walking in and seeing your breath!

I have a friend who comes house sitting when I'm away. She is free and even waters the plants and feeds the cats. Find me an app that can do that.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 6 m ago

I have a friend who comes house sitting when I'm away. She is free and …I have a friend who comes house sitting when I'm away. She is free and even waters the plants and feeds the cats. Find me an app that can do that.

for the plants.

For the cat.
123thisisme28 m ago

for the plants.For the cat.

Friend much cheaper
psychobitchfromhell5 m ago

Friend much cheaper

But the gizmo's wont root through all you private stuff while your away.
123thisisme1 h, 4 m ago

But the gizmo's wont root through all you private stuff while your away. …But the gizmo's wont root through all you private stuff while your away.

Ha ha that depends which Chinese server it's connecting to
123thisisme3 h, 59 m ago

But the gizmo's wont root through all you private stuff while your away. …But the gizmo's wont root through all you private stuff while your away.

And try on all your clothes!
123thisisme4 h, 55 m ago

I have no secrets and she wouldn't fit in my clothes
What sensor should I buy to automate lights coming on when I walk in to a room?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions