Smart light switch without neutral

Found 14th Apr
Looking to move over to smart bulbs, however realised I would need smart light switches so I can still control the bulbs if someone has turned off the light switch.

The majority of the switches i've seen all require a neutral wire, which none of mine have. Just wondering how people have overcome this?

Closest i've found is the Energenie MIHO024 Mi|Home Light Switch which will also require the dedicated hub. However they only appear to be single light swicthes and for one switch I want to replace it has two switches.

I have seen the SESOO light switches on Banggood, which look really nice and have a variety of sizes. It appears to control via an app the require the SONOFF bridge. As this will be RF to the bridge, any idea what the range would be like? Im in a 3 story house, would the light switch on the top floor reach the bridge on the bottom floor?

Any tips or advice greatly appreciated!
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
deleted1915842
have tou not seen the hue switches? you can get overlays that sit over existing switched to stop them being turned off check ebay for them
I have seen the hue switches, but not a huge fan of the design. I also want the option of manually controlling the lights via a swicth as well.

Mainly the hallway - When people stay over and need to get up in the night, instead of having to faff around with their phone to switch them on, they can use the switch.

Not looking at the option of motion sensors at the moment either.
powerful_Rogue1 m ago

I have seen the hue switches, but not a huge fan of the design. I also …I have seen the hue switches, but not a huge fan of the design. I also want the option of manually controlling the lights via a swicth as well.Mainly the hallway - When people stay over and need to get up in the night, instead of having to faff around with their phone to switch them on, they can use the switch.Not looking at the option of motion sensors at the moment either.

Hue does have dimmer switches as well
I've looked at the hue switches. They look too plasticy and the wrong shape!
You need something like the RFLightwave something that’s not WiFi and doesn’t need that neutral. They need a hub too though, stay away from sonoff and the likes they all require the server to be up for them to work which it does have quite a bit of downtime. also quite a few of the chineese ones that say they don’t need neutral isn’t correct so make sure you do some reading before you buy one.
Dannyrobbo14 m ago

You need something like the RFLightwave something that’s not WiFi and d …You need something like the RFLightwave something that’s not WiFi and doesn’t need that neutral. They need a hub too though, stay away from sonoff and the likes they all require the server to be up for them to work which it does have quite a bit of downtime. also quite a few of the chineese ones that say they don’t need neutral isn’t correct so make sure you do some reading before you buy one.

Ah brilliant, thank you. Do you have any that you could reccomend?

So frustarting that the Energenie MIHO024 Mi|Home dosn't do a two way switch!
All the Fibaro dimmers can work with 2 a wire wire solution. They work through z wave.
krazie20042 m ago

All the Fibaro dimmers can work with 2 a wire wire solution. They work …All the Fibaro dimmers can work with 2 a wire wire solution. They work through z wave.

I had a brief look at Fibaro as saw that mentioned a lot, however got confused by how to actually implement it!
powerful_Rogue6 m ago

Ah brilliant, thank you. Do you have any that you could reccomend?So …Ah brilliant, thank you. Do you have any that you could reccomend?So frustarting that the Energenie MIHO024 Mi|Home dosn't do a two way switch!

Screwfix do a large range I think Link
have you looked into the xiaomi stuff? you would need a hub though. but with their wired wall switches, you dont need to buy expensive bulbs. you get to keep your normal bulbs, and can switch on and off via the wall switch but also have the same ability to do so via the app.
with the hue system, you need the hub, the expensive bulbs and then also switches for it to work.
EN1GMA3 h, 54 m ago

have you looked into the xiaomi stuff? you would need a hub though. but …have you looked into the xiaomi stuff? you would need a hub though. but with their wired wall switches, you dont need to buy expensive bulbs. you get to keep your normal bulbs, and can switch on and off via the wall switch but also have the same ability to do so via the app. with the hue system, you need the hub, the expensive bulbs and then also switches for it to work.

Thanks for that. Don't suppose you have a link for the wired version as only seem to be able to locate the wireless version online.
powerful_Rogue10 m ago

Thanks for that. Don't suppose you have a link for the wired version as …Thanks for that. Don't suppose you have a link for the wired version as only seem to be able to locate the wireless version online.

i think its these but im waiting for a price drop. with these, you can keep your existing lighting but still have smart control without losing the wall switch. these are the double switch version but theres also the single switch version.
please bear in mind OP you will have to buy a hub. ive got the xiaomi set up with a couple of yeelights, door sensors and motion sensor. works brilliantly and at a fraction of the cost. waiting for home assistant to go mainstream and simple and then will transfer over.

some of the xiaomi stuff does work with samsung smart things hub but again. its whether people have developed software for the hub to get certain xiaomi devices working.
I have a Samsung smartthings box and have fibaro dimmer 2 switches fitted in my switches.

Work great with alexa too so I can tell alexa to dim, turn of etc as well as through the iphone app.

Only downside is they don't work with LED lights or more then 250 watts
Thanks everyone.

I think to keep things simple, and reasonably cheap! im going to go with the hue light switch. I've since found several adadpter plates you can buy to make it more attractive!

ebay.co.uk/itm…y01
One more quick question if anyone can help!

So I but the Hue bridge and Hue light switches.
On the landing I will use IKEA GU10's as they are the right size, a decent price and from what i've read can be picked up and controlled by hue.

However for the coloured GU10's I want to use in one room, how would I get it so they are controlled by the hue light switch? Do most bulbs pair with the hue bridge? (I've searched but can't seem to see these ones mentioned). Would I need to buy something like Samsung SmartThings to asssist with this?
Has anyone tried this amazon.co.uk/Dim…9D6

It looks like a good product and could be an alternative to alternative to the Hue but reviews are mixed and not sure if it will work in U.K.
I have a hue bridge, I also have some Ikea lights the strange size ones the Philips are too expensive for. I’ve had issue with one that was on pretty old firmware that hadn’t been updated for hue (that is one thing to watch out for because you need their hub to update). I can only suggest trying one then taking it back if they aren’t at the right

the ikea lights are available in the hue app and can be configured for the light switch the same way as hue bulbs
sydney8711 h, 27 m ago

Has anyone tried this …Has anyone tried this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dimmer-Standard-Crystal-Backlight-AC110-240V/dp/B0722WY9D6It looks like a good product and could be an alternative to alternative to the Hue but reviews are mixed and not sure if it will work in U.K.

Id be willing to bet reading the description by it saying there is a blue led indicator light when light is off, that it won’t work without neutral.
Dannyrobbo18 m ago

I have a hue bridge, I also have some Ikea lights the strange size ones …I have a hue bridge, I also have some Ikea lights the strange size ones the Philips are too expensive for. I’ve had issue with one that was on pretty old firmware that hadn’t been updated for hue (that is one thing to watch out for because you need their hub to update). I can only suggest trying one then taking it back if they aren’t at the right the ikea lights are available in the hue app and can be configured for the light switch the same way as hue bulbs

Thats great to read, cheers Danny. Unfortunatly Ikea is quite a way from me, so would have to order online. If push comes to shove then i'd get the Ikea hub as luckily it doesnt seem that expensive.

Any idea on other 3rd party bulbs? These are the standard size GU10 colour ones i've been looking at the and reviews/youtube clips i've seen give them the thumbs up.
amazon.co.uk/Goo…rch

I need 5 for the downstairs room, so going with the official hue ones would work out pricey as i'd also have to look at getting deeper fittings to house the bulbs. If there was someway I could get those to work with the hue dimmer switch then it would make life a lot simplier and cheaper!

Also, for the Ikea bulbs, did you get the £7 or £12 ones?
powerful_Rogue38 m ago

Thats great to read, cheers Danny. Unfortunatly Ikea is quite a way from …Thats great to read, cheers Danny. Unfortunatly Ikea is quite a way from me, so would have to order online. If push comes to shove then i'd get the Ikea hub as luckily it doesnt seem that expensive.Any idea on other 3rd party bulbs? These are the standard size GU10 colour ones i've been looking at the and reviews/youtube clips i've seen give them the thumbs up.https://www.amazon.co.uk/Google-Changing-Controlled-Devices-Required/dp/B078XD699G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1523735439&sr=8-3&keywords=smart+gu10+colour&dpID=41-aCBjVc5L&preST=_SX342_QL70_&dpSrc=srchI need 5 for the downstairs room, so going with the official hue ones would work out pricey as i'd also have to look at getting deeper fittings to house the bulbs. If there was someway I could get those to work with the hue dimmer switch then it would make life a lot simplier and cheaper!Also, for the Ikea bulbs, did you get the £7 or £12 ones?

Yeah the hub is an option too, I’m debating getting one also.

as for other bulbs I’ve not tested any others, have a look into Samsung smartthings as I think that is a way you can tie in all different standard bulbs on a network and use their switches and sensors. If you can’t get the bulb into the hue app you can’t use the dimmer.

Finally for the Ikea £7 or £12 it depends where you are putting them. The £7 are just dimable white I used them fine in the kitchen/bathroom but I don’t think they’d be suitable for living room mood lighting. The £12 do dimable White from cool to warm tones. I will say they they don’t dim as low as the Phillips but for their price they are good quality!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants