Smart Lighting

Found 6th May
I am getting my house refurbished and was thinking of getting some smart lights and would like advice from people who have used these.

I am getting GU10 bulbs throughout the house with about 8 smart bulbs upstairs and downstairs making total of 16 smart bulbs. The rest will be normal GU10 bulbs.

At first I looked at the IKEA system and from my understanding I would need to buy a hub and remote control costing £40 for every 6 bulbs. So my total cost would be £120 plus bulbs. Seems a lot of kit.

Now I am thinking of getting the Philips hue system which can support 50 bulbs and costs around £45 for the smart bridge plus bulbs.

The Philips bulbs are significantly more expensive than the IKEA ones.

So my questions are:

1. Assuming that my understanding is true can I use the IKEA smart bulbs for the Hue system? Would I need to buy the Ikea hub as well? Any problems with this?
2. Do I need to keep the switch on at all times for the Hue to work? If so then my other bulbs which will be on the same switch will be permanently on.

Which would mean I would need smart bulbs for the whole house that would cost a lot of money.

Anyone used Aqara Smart Light Wall Switch ZigBee Version? Is this a better solution?

Any other smart solutions that people have used and would recommend at a good price since I have a limited budget

Thanks.
Community Updates
LightingAskHomeware
6 Comments
To answer your questions
1. No
2. Yes

A better solution would be avoiding GU10 all together most expensive smart lights you can get
Q1- there's info on the Web about the ikea/hue combo. It's workable but afair it has some issues.

Q2- yes, the power to the lights also powers the wifi part of the lamp.
The solution to this is either rewire the lights into seperate rings or put smart bulbs in them all and create groups within each ring. I know you can do this with alexa not sure about hue.

You could go with a different brand, innur or some such bit cheaper.
An alternative would be to not go with gu10...
Thanks guys. Anyone used Aqara Smart Light Wall Switch ZigBee Version as Iwould like to stick with GU10.
Synesok6 h, 21 m ago

Q1- there's info on the Web about the ikea/hue combo. It's workable but …Q1- there's info on the Web about the ikea/hue combo. It's workable but afair it has some issues.Q2- yes, the power to the lights also powers the wifi part of the lamp.The solution to this is either rewire the lights into seperate rings or put smart bulbs in them all and create groups within each ring. I know you can do this with alexa not sure about hue.You could go with a different brand, innur or some such bit cheaper.An alternative would be to not go with gu10...

Synesok6 h, 22 m ago

Q1- there's info on the Web about the ikea/hue combo. It's workable but …Q1- there's info on the Web about the ikea/hue combo. It's workable but afair it has some issues.Q2- yes, the power to the lights also powers the wifi part of the lamp.The solution to this is either rewire the lights into seperate rings or put smart bulbs in them all and create groups within each ring. I know you can do this with alexa not sure about hue.You could go with a different brand, innur or some such bit cheaper.An alternative would be to not go with gu10...

So for Q2 can I get a multi switch and put all the smart lights on one switch and the normal ones on the other?
I think you can add up to 100 devices to a Trådfri Gateway. But you if you want to make groups - like a room or floor - then I believe it is up to 10 devices including the switch e.g. 9 bulbs and the dimmer switch or ten bulbs in a group called Living room. I believe the dimmable gu10 smart bulbs are £7 each. They actually make gu10 smart bulbs that can change for a warm white, a standard bulb setting, or cool/daylight white and I think they are still only £12 in gu10
Edited by: "androidavis" 8th May
Energenie mihome do uk smart switches including light switches. So in theory you can just use standard lighting and have just the switch remote controllable or timer. I think they can be integrated into amazon echo/Alexa smartphone app
Edited by: "androidavis" 8th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants