Smart meter

Found 4th Apr
Anyone know if i upgrade to a electric smart meter does that stop the meter reader person from coming around to do a reading?

*the reason I’m asking is because i want to put a bike shed right in front of the electric meter and not because I’m trying to hide anything haha*
Community Updates
AskSmart
57 Comments
That’s the whole point of smart meters, so that energy meter readings aren’t required
Edited by: "TheRatedSeller" 4th Apr
It still needs to be accessible as they might need to view it, change it or in an emergency remove the main fuse.

You could cut an access hole in the back of the shed for access.
Avoid smart meters at all costs ! , if you send your readings in monthly via the supplier website they'll only visit you annually max .
We've had our smart meter about 3 years and they've read the meter twice.
rogparki41 m ago

Avoid smart meters at all costs ! , if you send your readings in …Avoid smart meters at all costs ! , if you send your readings in monthly via the supplier website they'll only visit you annually max .

Why the paranoia?
Uridium5 m ago

Why the paranoia?

Designed by GCHQ.
I wouldn't want a SMART meter. They could have health risks as they emit electronic pulses all the time. Do you actually benefit from it or is it the big companies that do? It's just a data mine in your house giving them info to sell about. Also swapping energy companies isn't as easy if they fit you a first generation meter. It will stop working and you have to submit your readings yourself.

Watch this link
Edited by: "Bodycell" 4th Apr
123thisisme40 m ago

Designed by GCHQ.

Probably not much danger of data mining then.......
EON keep sending me letters about it.
I would think it's up to the landlord to decide whether to fit one or not...
Uridium1 h, 9 m ago

Why the paranoia?

Because he's stupid
Bodycell1 h, 1 m ago

I wouldn't want a SMART meter. They could have health risks as they emit …I wouldn't want a SMART meter. They could have health risks as they emit electronic pulses all the time. Do you actually benefit from it or is it the big companies that do? It's just a data mine in your house giving them info to sell about. Also swapping energy companies isn't as easy if they fit you a first generation meter. It will stop working and you have to submit your readings yourself.

What data are they mining and selling on? Your meter readings? Because that is ALL the meters send back. Swapping supplier is as easy as its ever been. Ofgem will not allow it to be more difficult to swap because you have a smart meter. And as for the pulses, they use Bluetooth and 3g, so nothing that people don't already have I'm their houses already.

But hey, you believe what you want to.
GAVINLEWISHUKD1 h, 56 m ago

It still needs to be accessible as they might need to view it, change it …It still needs to be accessible as they might need to view it, change it or in an emergency remove the main fuse.You could cut an access hole in the back of the shed for access.

Thats actually a brill idea! Didn’t even think of that! Thank you
Op, is it just the electric meter your going to obstruct? If it's the gas too, bear in mind that in the event of a gas leak you're gonna want to get to it pretty sharpish because your emergency gas valve is right next to it.
hearts2211 m ago

EON keep sending me letters about it.I would think it's up to the landlord …EON keep sending me letters about it.I would think it's up to the landlord to decide whether to fit one or not...

Your landlord can't stop you having your meters changed. They are not his, they belong to which ever supplier you're with so unless he is the account holder for your utilities, it's up to the tenant.
craigstephens26 m ago

Because he's stupid

I'll let you do your own research - then you will see who is stupid .
Start with differential pricing which these "smart" meters will make possible . When/If you can understood that I'll give you a few more reasons to consider .
Edited by: "rogparki" 4th Apr
craigstephens7 m ago

Op, is it just the electric meter your going to obstruct? If it's the gas …Op, is it just the electric meter your going to obstruct? If it's the gas too, bear in mind that in the event of a gas leak you're gonna want to get to it pretty sharpish because your emergency gas valve is right next to it.

Only the electric
rogparki15 m ago

I'll let you do your own research - then you will see who is stupid . …I'll let you do your own research - then you will see who is stupid . Start with differential pricing which these "smart" meters will make possible . When you have understood that I'll give you a few more reasons to consider .

Time of use (TOU) is coming if you like it or not. If you dig your heels in you will just be paying top rate all day.
Would I change now? Hell no. But I will be changing at some point as will 99% of the population. Plenty of places round the world do this very successfully already.
GAVINLEWISHUKD8 m ago

Time of use (TOU) is coming if you like it or not. If you dig your heels …Time of use (TOU) is coming if you like it or not. If you dig your heels in you will just be paying top rate all day.Would I change now? Hell no. But I will be changing at some point as will 99% of the population. Plenty of places round the world do this very successfully already.

I'm being forced to change, the company said I have to do it otherwise my low rate will go to their standard rate. I was furious but they said it was written in the contract
GAVINLEWISHUKD13 m ago

Time of use (TOU) is coming if you like it or not. If you dig your heels …Time of use (TOU) is coming if you like it or not. If you dig your heels in you will just be paying top rate all day.Would I change now? Hell no. But I will be changing at some point as will 99% of the population. Plenty of places round the world do this very successfully already.

I fully agree , but the "roll out" is hitting severe delays and is unlikely to be complete for at least 10 years if then - then we will probably have no choice as you say .

The only advantage at the moment is that it saves you sending readings yourself - saving 2mins a month is not enough of a reason to "volunteer " to have one .

Once the less savvy consumers such as @craigstevens have tested them for a few years and the many flaws have been sorted then I may reconsider - but at the moment - No thanks !
Joey.Bloggsy6 m ago

I'm being forced to change, the company said I have to do it otherwise my …I'm being forced to change, the company said I have to do it otherwise my low rate will go to their standard rate. I was furious but they said it was written in the contract

If it is in the contract then switch - I would certainly not sign a contract that stated that
rogparki34 m ago

I'll let you do your own research - then you will see who is stupid . …I'll let you do your own research - then you will see who is stupid . Start with differential pricing which these "smart" meters will make possible . When/If you can understood that I'll give you a few more reasons to consider .

Searched for smart meter on Google.... Thinks he's an expert now
rogparki8 m ago

I fully agree , but the "roll out" is hitting severe delays and is …I fully agree , but the "roll out" is hitting severe delays and is unlikely to be complete for at least 10 years if then - then we will probably have no choice as you say .The only advantage at the moment is that it saves you sending readings yourself - saving 2mins a month is not enough of a reason to "volunteer " to have one .Once the less savvy consumers such as @craigstevens have tested them for a few years and the many flaws have been sorted then I may reconsider - but at the moment - No thanks !

I'm in full agreement. I'll have a smart meter when it's a tool for me to save money over a standard meter.
craigstephens57 m ago

Your landlord can't stop you having your meters changed. They are not his, …Your landlord can't stop you having your meters changed. They are not his, they belong to which ever supplier you're with so unless he is the account holder for your utilities, it's up to the tenant.

Ah ok. I don't care about it but I had the doubt about whether it was the landlord having to make this decision or not.
rogparki1 h, 22 m ago

I'll let you do your own research - then you will see who is stupid . …I'll let you do your own research - then you will see who is stupid . Start with differential pricing which these "smart" meters will make possible . When/If you can understood that I'll give you a few more reasons to consider .

I work in the industry. I understand everything about them.
craigstephens25 m ago

I work in the industry. I understand everything about them.

Interesting. The energy department for the company I work in have advised that we shouldn't switch to smart meters if possible for our personal meters. I'm personally neither for or against them.
We've had nothing but problems with our smart meter and supplier, ovo. It's not been sending data apparently so the supplier estimated our bill... old school stuff. They claim we've got to wait like 3 months before they'll take action even though they told us it hasn't worked since July last year
mattsk1 h, 59 m ago

Searched for smart meter on Google.... Thinks he's an expert now

Perhaps you should read/watch some of the many articles in the papers and on the various news and consumer programmes (as I have ) before making an "eejit" of yourself on here ?
Edited by: "rogparki" 4th Apr
xfaxfa15 m ago

We've had nothing but problems with our smart meter and supplier, ovo. …We've had nothing but problems with our smart meter and supplier, ovo. It's not been sending data apparently so the supplier estimated our bill... old school stuff. They claim we've got to wait like 3 months before they'll take action even though they told us it hasn't worked since July last year

PM Craig (above). He "understands everything about them".
rogparki16 m ago

Perhaps you should read/watch some of the many articles in the …Perhaps you should read/watch some of the many articles in the papers and on the various news and consumer programmes (as I have ) before making an "eejit" of yourself on here ?

You mean like the sun , telegraph and BBC ? Those type of info sources that make up any exagetatef story?
Had mine for a few months now (EON) Hard to tell if it's saving us any money but my bills are BIG...I have an old 4 bed-roomed home with 7 occupants..lots of kids game consoles also several PC's/Servers etc...as I work in Enterprise IT from home and use a lot of electricity.

What it has done is encouraged everyone in the house to see if we can reduce how much we use, the Smart Meter display is in a prominent location visible as you walk between rooms....even the kids like trying to get the amount used down each day.
Uridium8 m ago

Had mine for a few months now (EON) Hard to tell if it's saving us any …Had mine for a few months now (EON) Hard to tell if it's saving us any money but my bills are BIG...I have an old 4 bed-roomed home with 7 occupants..lots of kids game consoles also several PC's/Servers etc...as I work in Enterprise IT from home and use a lot of electricity.What it has done is encouraged everyone in the house to see if we can reduce how much we use, the Smart Meter display is in a prominent location visible as you walk between rooms....even the kids like trying to get the amount used down each day.

You can do that with an energy monitor - clips onto the input wire to your meter and sends the info wirelessly to a meter in your lounge (or wherever) -got mine free from my supplier a few years ago , about £10 to buy .
mattsk19 m ago

You mean like the sun , telegraph and BBC ? Those type of info sources …You mean like the sun , telegraph and BBC ? Those type of info sources that make up any exagetatef story?

Yes as a matter of fact - I don't have access to the flawless independent info from Facebook etc - but then again I have my own brain and know how to use it . Unlike some - it appears
rogparki3 m ago

You can do that with an energy monitor - clips onto the input wire to your …You can do that with an energy monitor - clips onto the input wire to your meter and sends the info wirelessly to a meter in your lounge (or wherever) -got mine free from my supplier a few years ago , about £10 to buy .

Clips on to the consumer unit live tail actually, but what do I know...
Love a good smart meter thread...
rogparki2 h, 8 m ago

Yes as a matter of fact - I don't have access to the flawless independent …Yes as a matter of fact - I don't have access to the flawless independent info from Facebook etc - but then again I have my own brain and know how to use it . Unlike some - it appears

That brain of yours clearly forgot to ask a qualified unbiased engineer or electrician.
craigstephens6 h, 11 m ago

What data are they mining and selling on? Your meter readings? Because …What data are they mining and selling on? Your meter readings? Because that is ALL the meters send back. Swapping supplier is as easy as its ever been. Ofgem will not allow it to be more difficult to swap because you have a smart meter. And as for the pulses, they use Bluetooth and 3g, so nothing that people don't already have I'm their houses already.But hey, you believe what you want to.

You may try and mock me, but there are tons of articles on the net about it who believe these meters could have health risks. This meters are SMART and know more than just submitting your readings. They can looks at times things are used and maybe able to work out what is using it. Data is collected on anything smart these days and passed about to other companies. That's where the money is! They are not fitted just to help us.
Edited by: "Bodycell" 4th Apr
They send your supplier readings every 10 mins
Misslovely13 m ago

They send your supplier readings every 10 mins

No they don't. As default they send 1 reading a day, this can be changed to once an hour or once a month at the customer's request.
Bodycell26 m ago

You may try and mock me, but there are tons of articles on the net about …You may try and mock me, but there are tons of articles on the net about it who believe these meters could have health risks. This meters are SMART and know more than just submitting your readings. They can looks at times things are used and maybe able to work out what is using it. Data is collected on anything smart these days and passed about to other companies. That's where the money is! They are not fitted just to help us.

Tons of articles on the net doesn't mean any of it is true though, does it. And could you explain to me how a device that simply measures the flow of electrical current passing through it can possibly work out what appliance is drawing that current?
Seriously, there's more pathetic tin foil hattery regarding this subject than anything else at the moment.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants