Smart Motorway Cameras - Variable Limit - Fines

Edited by:"MrCollective"Found 2nd Feb
2888091.jpgCameras & Variable Limits.

***UPDATE***
Saves others reading all relative and none relative comments - Going over 70 you will now be fined 24/7 - No confirmation or proof that breaking the smart speed limit (40) (50) (60) during heavy traffic times will result in a fine.
***UPDATE***

A hand full of my colleagues including myself leave work and jump on the motorway.

Between the junction we enter and leave the Motorway, we tackle the above picture. Majority of the time the hard shoulder is open which is helpful. As soon as i see the speed limit being promoted I match the cruise control.
A few of my younger colleagues are always in a rush so over take every night and alot of other drivers go flying past. My impression was that if it states 50 but you travel at 70 you would be fined for breaking the stated limit.

The speed changes quite often due to the monitoring system, usually bounces between 40 / 60

Anyone here recieved a fine for breaking the stated limit ?

Or have any details on them.
Community Updates
  1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
Top comments

NOPE because I'm not a naughty boy and don't speed
56 Comments

Friday night is rock night

NOPE because I'm not a naughty boy and don't speed
Original Poster
shadey126 m ago

It's out of the sun but may be useful,[Image] …It's out of the sun but may be useful,[Image] https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2576205/smart-motorways-speed-cameras-fines-variable-limit/

I looked at that Today when we were discussing it at work. Its doesn't state if those figures are for people going over 70MPH or for breaking the lower limits during heavy traffic times. Ours have the camera and the white measurement lines on the ground.

I just can't get my head around them never getting a ticket.
Graham197951 m ago

Anyone here recieved a fine for breaking the stated limit ? Or have any …Anyone here recieved a fine for breaking the stated limit ? Or have any details on them.NOPE because I'm not a naughty boy and don't speed

No but you do watch tv without a licence.
jimmy_the_fridge12 m ago

No but you do watch tv without a licence.

Nope sadly I don't.
Plus I wouldn't consider not paying the BBC comparable to risking the lives of others by driving like a noob!
Graham197938 m ago

Nope sadly I don't.Plus I wouldn't consider not paying the BBC comparable …Nope sadly I don't.Plus I wouldn't consider not paying the BBC comparable to risking the lives of others by driving like a noob!

Ah ok so sorry. It's just that some people think they can pick and choose which laws can be broken, you know hypocrites.
Yes !!

I nearly lost my licence a few years ago Along with a few other cars. M6 toll joining M6 and it flashed up over on the approaching signs a variable speed of 40 despite the M6 toll still being clear but the M6 having congestion.

I braked but didn't slam then on due to a car behind. Camera flashed on all lanes as we went through. I was done for excessive speed on a motorway......I'm guessing the other cars were too
for 56 in what was now a 40. Had i been doing 60 I would have lost my licence apparently due to the percentage over despite still being under 70mph on the motor way. Was 3 points and £100
mrwhitelabel10 m ago

Yes !!I nearly lost my licence a few years ago Along with a few other …Yes !!I nearly lost my licence a few years ago Along with a few other cars. M6 toll joining M6 and it flashed up over on the approaching signs a variable speed of 40 despite the M6 toll still being clear but the M6 having congestion. I braked but didn't slam then on due to a car behind. Camera flashed on all lanes as we went through. I was done for excessive speed on a motorway......I'm guessing the other cars were too for 56 in what was now a 40. Had i been doing 60 I would have lost my licence apparently due to the percentage over despite still being under 70mph on the motor way. Was 3 points and £100

Regardless of the road being clear, the speed of other vehicles, or the usual speed limit of a motorway, what was the maximum speed limit at the time you were travelling?

That should have been your maximum speed at that time.
I thought it was speed +10%+3....so 50mph =57 and your ok.. 58 you will be fined.. Although technically 51mph you can be done.. And yes. I know 2 people caught on m5 Bristol. Not me though.
Edited by: "wayners" 2nd Feb
wayners28 m ago

I thought it was speed +10%+3....so 50mph =57 and your ok.. 58 you will be …I thought it was speed +10%+3....so 50mph =57 and your ok.. 58 you will be fined.. Although technically 51mph you can be done.. And yes. I know 2 people caught on m5 Bristol. Not me though.

Yes, it's usually 10% + 2.

I received a letter for 58 in a 50 zone near junction 27 on the M1. I was confident it was a 60 zone but had no evidence to challenge.

Ended up going on a speed awareness course to avoid the points.
Lots in the news in my local about this for M1 motorway. It states that they will flash if you go above 70mph 24 hours a day, unless it states 50mph etc. Just a money making scheme but i thought speed law will go up to 80mph, so the question is when??
Edited by: "Misslovely" 2nd Feb
Graham19793 h, 10 m ago

Anyone here recieved a fine for breaking the stated limit ? Or have any …Anyone here recieved a fine for breaking the stated limit ? Or have any details on them.NOPE because I'm not a naughty boy and don't speed

If you did you could just punch a copper anyway because that's fine right?
Graham19793 h, 11 m ago

Pretty hard to break the speed limit on one of these Graham.
33189434-0LlUo.jpg
Cr0m5 m ago

If you did you could just punch a copper anyway because that's fine right?

Oh no, you're having another episode flower, just breathe in and out slowly, let the social anxiety drift away!
Graham19798 m ago

Oh no, you're having another episode flower, just breathe in and out …Oh no, you're having another episode flower, just breathe in and out slowly, let the social anxiety drift away!

That's what you should do rather than punching a copper tut tut Gray
Graham197910 m ago

Oh no, you're having another episode flower, just breathe in and out …Oh no, you're having another episode flower, just breathe in and out slowly, let the social anxiety drift away!

When are you going to start using 'soy' btw? Someone else said snowflake was old and boring or something earlier, he was one of yours too
Variable speed limits are great and really can help the flow of traffic. I think that it could also be extended to town driving. Some roads are 30mph which is fair for certain periods of the day but would be fine at 40mph after a certain time or as low as 20mph during school run period. I think on the motorway they could increase the speed limit to 80mph.
fanpages1 h, 46 m ago

Regardless of the road being clear, the speed of other vehicles, or the …Regardless of the road being clear, the speed of other vehicles, or the usual speed limit of a motorway, what was the maximum speed limit at the time you were travelling?That should have been your maximum speed at that time.

I was doing 70, which was the limit on the toll and it flashed up 40 just before going under it so had no time to safely slow down enough in time, so it got me doing 56.
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 2nd Feb
OllieSt3 h, 9 m ago

Police chief `wants drivers penalised for going 1mph over speed …Police chief `wants drivers penalised for going 1mph over speed limit´Should be fun on motorways. I can't believe car speedos that accurate.

Speedos can under read by as much as 10% but can't over read by a single %. So if your cars speedo reads 30 you're probably only doing around 27 in reality.

If you're speedo reads 30 but you were actually doing 31 then you could get a ticket.
mrwhitelabel2 h, 0 m ago

Yes !!I nearly lost my licence a few years ago Along with a few other …Yes !!I nearly lost my licence a few years ago Along with a few other cars. M6 toll joining M6 and it flashed up over on the approaching signs a variable speed of 40 despite the M6 toll still being clear but the M6 having congestion. I braked but didn't slam then on due to a car behind. Camera flashed on all lanes as we went through. I was done for excessive speed on a motorway......I'm guessing the other cars were too for 56 in what was now a 40. Had i been doing 60 I would have lost my licence apparently due to the percentage over despite still being under 70mph on the motor way. Was 3 points and £100

fanpages1 h, 50 m ago

Regardless of the road being clear, the speed of other vehicles, or the …Regardless of the road being clear, the speed of other vehicles, or the usual speed limit of a motorway, what was the maximum speed limit at the time you were travelling?That should have been your maximum speed at that time.

mrwhitelabel5 m ago

I was doing 70, which was the limit on the toll and it flashed up 40 just …I was doing 70, which was the limit on the toll and it flashed up 40 just before going under it so had no time to safely slow down enough in time, so it got me doing 56.

Did you dispute the offence & get the option to provide this information when asked who was driving the vehicle?
fanpages1 m ago

Did you dispute the offence & get the option to provide this information …Did you dispute the offence & get the option to provide this information when asked who was driving the vehicle?

No, Would have had to go to court to dispute it.
Didnt want to risk an increase in costs and potential risk to have suspended licence so took the fine
mrwhitelabel7 m ago

No, Would have had to go to court to dispute it.Didnt want to risk an …No, Would have had to go to court to dispute it.Didnt want to risk an increase in costs and potential risk to have suspended licence so took the fine

So you admitted guilt by paying the fine even though you claim you did all you could to a) comply with the posted limit, & b) avoid an accident?

If your dispute was upheld, as you believe you were in the right, what costs would you have had?

Seems odd to pay a £100 fine if you think you did nothing wrong.
fanpages4 m ago

So you admitted guilt by paying the fine even though you claim you did all …So you admitted guilt by paying the fine even though you claim you did all you could to a) comply with the posted limit, & b) avoid an accident?If your dispute was upheld, as you believe you were in the right, what costs would you have had?Seems odd to pay a £100 fine if you think you did nothing wrong.

It was a balancing act of other things going on in life, that cost Vs costs of time spent preparing and defending it. I could earn more using that time than the £100 so took it on the chin, reluctantly so.Its not a criminal record offence but for what ever reason had I lost judge had power to increase fine, award costs and even suspend licence. Risk factor was to great
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 2nd Feb
If it says 50, I bring my speed down to 60 lol. At national speed limit, I do 75 and very rarely 80. I see people fly past me at most likely 100, let them. Don't want to lose my license at this age.
fanpages2 h, 0 m ago

So you admitted guilt by paying the fine even though you claim you did all …So you admitted guilt by paying the fine even though you claim you did all you could to a) comply with the posted limit, & b) avoid an accident?If your dispute was upheld, as you believe you were in the right, what costs would you have had?Seems odd to pay a £100 fine if you think you did nothing wrong.

You sound scarier than an appeals judge.
OllieSt7 h, 19 m ago

Police chief `wants drivers penalised for going 1mph over speed …Police chief `wants drivers penalised for going 1mph over speed limit´Should be fun on motorways. I can't believe car speedos that accurate.

Those 5 people killed every day on our roads are more likely to be caused by DUI, untaxed/uninsured and reckless (not just speeding) drivers

IMHO there is two types of speeding -

Type 1 - On a clear, dry day on country roads and motorways with no real traffic issues will drive at 80mph but slow down when needed. When raining they might stick to the limit or drop slightly lower and when visibility is a real issue will actual turn on their headlights (and fog lights when necessary) and drop their speed even more.

Type 2 - MGIF (generally Merc/BMW/Range Rover and Audi but also include modded Fiat Pandas and the like plus yobs/youths and males with small penis syndrome) who don't care about how they drive, at what speed they drive and will attempt to show some fake remorse when put before the courts with excuse of bad family upbringing etc)

Now because a small percentage fall into Type 2 and the police can't, because of lack of resources, concentrate on the minority they want too increase their coffers by penalising everyone.

Do they penalise all TV Licence payers for those that don't pay? (where's our Graham )
Do they penalise all council tax payers because a small minority don't pay?

The current justice system needs hitting with a Miley Cirus naked ridden wrecking ball. Most yobs/youths caught driving without a licence/insurance will get a slapped wrist and released back into society to just get caught two weeks later doing exactly the same thing. That's stupid and dangerous for every innocent person but we must concentrate on the drivers human rights/needs and not innocent people.

I've got several recordings of dangerous driving, speeding, untaxed/uninsured but the local police aren't interested because "they" didn't catch the evidence (yet speed cameras do???)

I can only blame the Tories for years of austerity and cuts to help reduce government budget deficits which apparently hasn't resulted to much except more poor and less resources - the police will not even bother to come out if you've been burgled unless its in progress except if you are of course super rich or an MP or similar.

My soap box has just collapsed
If I was in charge I'd ban all these drivers who drive like they can't wait to get outta their goddam heavily financed cars. Prix
philphil616 h, 3 m ago

Those 5 people killed every day on our roads are more likely to be caused …Those 5 people killed every day on our roads are more likely to be caused by DUI, untaxed/uninsured and reckless (not just speeding) driversIMHO there is two types of speeding -Type 1 - On a clear, dry day on country roads and motorways with no real traffic issues will drive at 80mph but slow down when needed. When raining they might stick to the limit or drop slightly lower and when visibility is a real issue will actual turn on their headlights (and fog lights when necessary) and drop their speed even more.Type 2 - MGIF (generally Merc/BMW/Range Rover and Audi but also include modded Fiat Pandas and the like plus yobs/youths and males with small penis syndrome) who don't care about how they drive, at what speed they drive and will attempt to show some fake remorse when put before the courts with excuse of bad family upbringing etc)Now because a small percentage fall into Type 2 and the police can't, because of lack of resources, concentrate on the minority they want too increase their coffers by penalising everyone.Do they penalise all TV Licence payers for those that don't pay? (where's our Graham )Do they penalise all council tax payers because a small minority don't pay?The current justice system needs hitting with a Miley Cirus naked ridden wrecking ball. Most yobs/youths caught driving without a licence/insurance will get a slapped wrist and released back into society to just get caught two weeks later doing exactly the same thing. That's stupid and dangerous for every innocent person but we must concentrate on the drivers human rights/needs and not innocent people.I've got several recordings of dangerous driving, speeding, untaxed/uninsured but the local police aren't interested because "they" didn't catch the evidence (yet speed cameras do???)I can only blame the Tories for years of austerity and cuts to help reduce government budget deficits which apparently hasn't resulted to much except more poor and less resources - the police will not even bother to come out if you've been burgled unless its in progress except if you are of course super rich or an MP or similar.My soap box has just collapsed

AKA

Type 1 = Me
Type 2 = Everyone who's not like me

Very much the zeitgeist of 2018
Edited by: "airbus330" 3rd Feb
Bestard8 h, 18 m ago

You sound scarier than an appeals judge.

Are appeal judges scary?
Do what it says
Idiots speeding on motorways are a sole reason why we have traffic jams

shadey1215 h, 27 m ago

It's out of the sun but may be useful,[Image] …It's out of the sun but may be useful,[Image] https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/2576205/smart-motorways-speed-cameras-fines-variable-limit/

Are these fines published on a public government web site as these statistics can serve as sample of warnings on high frequency of penalty enforcement?
What is the accuracy of the police speed cameras, assuming that they are within calibration?

My pet hate...

HGVs overtaking each other and blocking 2 out of 3 lanes.
Why do they do it, they are both speed restricted to 60 mph...the one on the inside lane is doing 59.99999 mph and the overtaker is 60 mph. Result: lanes blocked for ages, tailbacks, crazy overtaking....

While on the subject of speeding, what is the accuracy of the police speed cameras, assuming that they are within calibration?
scottswaha12 m ago

What is the accuracy of the police speed cameras, assuming that they are …What is the accuracy of the police speed cameras, assuming that they are within calibration?My pet hate...HGVs overtaking each other and blocking 2 out of 3 lanes.Why do they do it, they are both speed restricted to 60 mph...the one on the inside lane is doing 59.99999 mph and the overtaker is 60 mph. Result: lanes blocked for ages, tailbacks, crazy overtaking....While on the subject of speeding, what is the accuracy of the police speed cameras, assuming that they are within calibration?

If you look on the back of some lorries they are restricted to 50/52 you could also have a car towing a caravan at this speed or an oversize load travelling at much less.
If you imagine a convoy of 50-60 lorries driving at 56mph having to overtake the slow moving vehicle it would upset you a bit more.
splender22 m ago

Are these fines published on a public government web site as these …Are these fines published on a public government web site as these statistics can serve as sample of warnings on high frequency of penalty enforcement?

No idea, maybe you're mission for the day if you choose to accept it splender?
scottswaha19 m ago

What is the accuracy of the police speed cameras, assuming that they are …What is the accuracy of the police speed cameras, assuming that they are within calibration?My pet hate...HGVs overtaking each other and blocking 2 out of 3 lanes.Why do they do it, they are both speed restricted to 60 mph...the one on the inside lane is doing 59.99999 mph and the overtaker is 60 mph. Result: lanes blocked for ages, tailbacks, crazy overtaking....While on the subject of speeding, what is the accuracy of the police speed cameras, assuming that they are within calibration?

It's even worse on motorways that are two lanes. The m11 and the m42 are really bad for this.
shadey1225 m ago

No idea, maybe you're mission for the day if you choose to accept it …No idea, maybe you're mission for the day if you choose to accept it splender?

I may one day...it is a job for enforcement agencies and prevention of crime agencies to publicise these though, although I know that they don't unless one issues an FOI request.

They should have marketing web sites with statistics on what happened to criminals and summary offenders, as these statistics and the dire consequences should serve as warnings to people to take caution.
unreality7 h, 49 m ago

If I was in charge I'd ban all these drivers who drive like they can't …If I was in charge I'd ban all these drivers who drive like they can't wait to get outta their goddam heavily financed cars. Prix

Grand Prix drivers?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants