Smart parking fine!!!!

Found 31st Mar 2017
Hi people looking for advice. I met my driving instructor in a mecca bingo car park we waited for 20 mins. Just had a letter for a £60 fine. They say at the entrance it clearly states no parking but we weren't parked just sat in the car. Should I pay it anyone else not paid and heard nothing from it Tia

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
45 Comments

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2713421/I-got-80-parking-ticket-staying-longer-two-hours-shopping-centre-car-park-I-pay-it.html

Is the car park owned by Mecca or the council?

I don't think you have to pay if it's a private fine. just if it's from the council. not completely sure

Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I presume its privately owned.

Is the ticket in yellow plastic? Post picture if possible would help us

Original Poster

Is the ticket in yellow plastic? Post picture if possible would help us

No it came as a letter through the post has pictures of my car on the letter.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=77373

Which Mecca Bingo. There are a few of them. Dont pay it and get on PePipoo as soon as you can.

it's not a fine it's a speculative invoice. if you read some of the links above there is plenty of advice. the first point is did they send it to you within 15 days if not then they have breached the rules and it's not enforceable.

o0bean0o0head0o

it's not a fine it's a speculative invoice. if you read some of the … it's not a fine it's a speculative invoice. if you read some of the links above there is plenty of advice. the first point is did they send it to you within 15 days if not then they have breached the rules and it's not enforceable.

Not quite right. If there was a Windscreen ticket it is longer. 14days if the car was snapped by ANPR.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2012/9/schedule/4/enacted

I have beaten these scammers.

parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/
Edited by: "getmeone" 31st Mar 2017

they already said it was posted.

Original Poster

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=77373

Which Mecca Bingo. There are a few of them. Dont pay it and get on PePipoo as soon as you can.

The Blackpool one. I'm all for not paying going to try and appeal it as we were still in the car.

o0bean0o0head0o

they already said it was posted.

That does not mean there was no ticket on the screen.

Come over to Pepipoo and we will help you sort it out.

John114a

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=77373Which Mecca Bingo. … http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=77373Which Mecca Bingo. There are a few of them. Dont pay it and get on PePipoo as soon as you can.The Blackpool one. I'm all for not paying going to try and appeal it as we were still in the car.

They won't care. There will be a Grace period which is not law but will be about 10 minutes, you will lose the appeal if you go in with this point alone. They only want your money. Read something first about it. Get an idea about the appeal points first.

They are I assume holding the Keeper liable. Thay almost certainly cannot identify the driver. YOU MUST NOT IDENTIFY THE DRIVER!! EVER.
Edited by: "getmeone" 31st Mar 2017

it's the driving instructor who needs to pay not you.

Excellent money making scheme. Throw some signs up then post your address so random people can park in your driveway. Sadly it appears you may not be able to collect the charges if they are "just sat in the car" waiting for something.

He drove in so read the notice.

Original Poster

They won't care. There will be a Grace period which is not law but will be about 10 minutes, you will lose the appeal if you go in with this point alone. They only want your money. Read something first about it. Get an idea about the appeal points first.

What about ringing mecca saying you popped in for some details on their memberships and what times the bingo is on or will they check cctv and see I didn't approach the bingo hall. I've read they can get it cancelled just depends if they fall for it

Original Poster

They are I assume holding the Keeper liable. Thay almost certainly cannot identify the driver. YOU MUST NOT IDENTIFY THE DRIVER!! EVER.

Edited By: getmeone on Mar 31, 2017 12:01

Yes they are holding the keeper liable. So if they cant identify the driver will I get away with it? Will they accept on appeal you needed to pull in for to answer an emergency call, changing or feeding a child. They state that it is clearly signed at the entrance and in the car park although I didn't see any signs gonna have a look later.

I had a fine, was going to pay it but my husband knew that these types of tickets are not enforceable and told me not to pay it. I bricked it thinking i would get a bigger fine and the knock on the door for a demand for money - nothing came. It's been 4.5 years now! Don't pay it.

Also why is your intructor asking you to pay anyway? It is his car and his fine, you pay for lessons. Next he'll be asking for petrol and tax!

Original Poster

I had a fine, was going to pay it but my husband knew that these types of tickets are not enforceable and told me not to pay it. I bricked it thinking i would get a bigger fine and the knock on the door for a demand for money - nothing came. It's been 4.5 years now! Don't pay it.

Also why is your intructor asking you to pay anyway? It is his car and his fine, you pay for lessons. Next he'll be asking for petrol and tax!

Yes I'm thinking of just not paying. We arrived in my partners car and waited for my driving instructor to pick me up.

getmeone

They are I assume holding the Keeper liable. Thay almost certainly cannot … They are I assume holding the Keeper liable. Thay almost certainly cannot identify the driver. YOU MUST NOT IDENTIFY THE DRIVER!! EVER.

Identifing the driver as a John Doe from an address outside of UK jurisdiction should satisfy movement of any liability away from keeper whilst beneficially retaining the apparent cooperation of the keeper. No detrimental insuance obligations as private property.

John114a

I had a fine, was going to pay it but my husband knew that these types of … I had a fine, was going to pay it but my husband knew that these types of tickets are not enforceable and told me not to pay it. I bricked it thinking i would get a bigger fine and the knock on the door for a demand for money - nothing came. It's been 4.5 years now! Don't pay it.Also why is your intructor asking you to pay anyway? It is his car and his fine, you pay for lessons. Next he'll be asking for petrol and tax!Yes I'm thinking of just not paying. We arrived in my partners car and waited for my driving instructor to pick me up.

Don't! Honestly they can't do anything. I was scared it would become something bigger but I did some research online with my husband (similar info on the links above) and from a legal stance there is nothing that they can do to MAKE you pay. Unless it's a council one, don't ever pay them as it's just a big scam to fraud money out of people easily.

Good luck with whatever you decide and don't stress about it - it's not worth it!
Edited by: "Mary_Mary" 31st Mar 2017

Oh my .....

Original Poster

Don't! Honestly they can't do anything. I was scared it would become something bigger but I did some research online with my husband (similar info on the links above) and from a legal stance there is nothing that they can do to MAKE you pay. Unless it's a council one, don't ever pay them as it's just a big scam to fraud money out of people easily.

Good luck with whatever you decide and don't stress about it - it's not worth it!

Edited By: Nshizzle on Mar 31, 2017 12:25

Yes bit worried the fine will just get bigger but a fine of £60 for 20 mins parking is a joke gonna take your advice and not pay thanks

I think money saving expert Martin covered this on a TV program. YouTube it for piece of mind.

John114a

They won't care. There will be a Grace period which is not law but will … They won't care. There will be a Grace period which is not law but will be about 10 minutes, you will lose the appeal if you go in with this point alone. They only want your money. Read something first about it. Get an idea about the appeal points first.They are I assume holding the Keeper liable. Thay almost certainly cannot identify the driver. YOU MUST NOT IDENTIFY THE DRIVER!! EVER.Edited By: getmeone on Mar 31, 2017 12:01Yes they are holding the keeper liable. So if they cant identify the driver will I get away with it? Will they accept on appeal you needed to pull in for to answer an emergency call, changing or feeding a child. They state that it is clearly signed at the entrance and in the car park although I didn't see any signs gonna have a look later.

POFA 2012 allows these parasites to hold the keeper liable for the charge if they meet certain conditions. Get a picture of the sign and post it on teh website I mentioned. Do not try and lie about why you were there. It is goign to take you some time to get out of this ticket, so if you are not willing to put in some effort, I would just pay it. What ever you do Ignore anyone who says IGNORE it.

NSHIZZLE : They have 6 years to take you to court. There are company's who buy these tickets and go after the "PERPS" of these Heinous crimes!!!

u have confused me was it ur car or the driving instructors I assume it would have been the driving instructors car he needs to sort it out nit u. A. not ur car B. u are a learning and didn't know the rules so the instructor should have know better.

It is not a fine , that is illegal. If you read the ticket properly and it is a private company , then it is civil and the law of contract.
They have to sue you to get the money, in the County Court, which they are unlikely to do.
If you did not see the signs, then just return their invoice to sender with , I have no contract with you written on it. Don't pay it . It is the idiots that pay , that make these cowboys thrive.

The law changed a few years back. Anyone can still issue you with a PCN, however they MUST be a member of the 'British Parking Association' (BPA). If they are not tell them to get stuffed.

If they are a member and it usually states on the letter, then I'm afraid you've got a battle. They have to follow a 'code of practice'.

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Practice-and-Compliance-Monitoring

A violation of this code of practice could see the PCN voided under an appeal. A simple violation for example would be the letter wasn't received within 14 days of the incident.

I've appealed two Parking eye fines and had them cancelled, mainly due to providing receipts of the stores I purchased from.

If they are part of the BPA then they're legally able to take you to court for not paying which could lead to CCJ'S (worse case).

The fact is they can't afford to take everyone to court as it costs more than the fine itself. However I believe they do take a small % to court for image purposes.

My advice is to appeal it if they've violated the code of practice. If not, offer a reduced amount ( say £30) as you understand the situation however £60 is way too much for recovering losses they've incurred from you parking there.

*this information is my own that I've researched, please do your own too.

Hope it helps.

if they do take you to court they have to show your stay cost the amount they are seeking from you so they will need to show your 20 minutes caused the bingo hall to lose 60 squid

remember its an invoice not a parking fine regardless of how close to a parking fine, they try to make there scuzzy paperwork appear .

Edited by: "mattmerch" 31st Mar 2017

Original Poster

u have confused me was it ur car or the driving instructors I assume it would have been the driving instructors car he needs to sort it out nit u. A. not ur car B. u are a learning and didn't know the rules so the instructor should have know better.

My partner dropped me off in her car.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies going to have good through everything later on

mattmerch

if they do take you to court they have to show your stay cost the amount … if they do take you to court they have to show your stay cost the amount they are seeking from you so they will need to show your 20 minutes caused the bingo hall to lose 60 squid remember its an invoice not a parking fine regardless of how close to a parking fine, they try to make there scuzzy paperwork appear .

​Probably not that difficult if they have gambling machines.

Original Poster

The law changed a few years back. Anyone can still issue you with a PCN, however they MUST be a member of the 'British Parking Association' (BPA). If they are not tell them to get stuffed.

If they are a member and it usually states on the letter, then I'm afraid you've got a battle. They have to follow a 'code of practice'.

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/Code-of-Practice-and-Compliance-Monitoring

A violation of this code of practice could see the PCN voided under an appeal. A simple violation for example would be the letter wasn't received within 14 days of the incident.

I've appealed two Parking eye fines and had them cancelled, mainly due to providing receipts of the stores I purchased from.

If they are part of the BPA then they're legally able to take you to court for not paying which could lead to CCJ'S (worse case).

The fact is they can't afford to take everyone to court as it costs more than the fine itself. However I believe they do take a small % to court for image purposes.

My advice is to appeal it if they've violated the code of practice. If not, offer a reduced amount ( say £30) as you understand the situation however £60 is way too much for recovering losses they've incurred from you parking there.

*this information is my own that I've researched, please do your own too.

Hope it helps.

Thankyou yes I'm worried knowing my luck Il b one of the few percent that they do take to court . Your advise on offering maybe 30 well It would be better than paying 60 how about just offer what it would of cost for the time I was there haha Il give them enough to cover an hour but fat chance of them accepting it. Will have a look through your Lin later thanks

Please use the "Quote" feature of the website, as it's very confusing otherwise what is your post - and what you are quoting.
Good luck, it should be fine as others have said but seek further opinions on the recommended forum
Edited by: "Firefly1" 31st Mar 2017

​You can check if they are a member here.

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/AOS/AOS-Members

A template letter can be found here. It might be enough to put them off and go for easier pray.

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Parking-Cowboys-Template-NTK-Challenge-131029.docx

Good luck, let us know the outcome.

Original Poster

​You can check if they are a member here.

http://www.britishparking.co.uk/AOS/AOS-Members

A template letter can be found here. It might be enough to put them off and go for easier pray.

http://www.parkingcowboys.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Parking-Cowboys-Template-NTK-Challenge-131029.docx

Good luck, let us know the outcome.

Thanks they are a member im just not going to pay after reading into it id like to see what they can do apart from send me loads of scare mail! Il keep you updated haha

Please don't ignore it. Get over to Pepipoo and get some proper advice. Although you have had some here there are incorrect statements made by some contributors.
Edited by: "getmeone" 1st Apr 2017

Original Poster

Please don't ignore it. Get over to Pepipoo and get some proper advice. Although you have had some here there are incorrect statements made by some contributors.

Edited By: getmeone on Apr 01, 2017 07:50

m.youtube.com/wat…iHA

John114a

Hi people looking for advice. I met my driving instructor in a … Hi people looking for advice. I met my driving instructor in a mecca bingo car park we waited for 20 mins. Just had a letter for a £60 fine. They say at the entrance it clearly states no parking but we weren't parked just sat in the car. Should I pay it anyone else not paid and heard nothing from it Tia

As an FYI, there is no legal distinction between parking your car and leaving the vehicle, and parking your car and remaining in it. You still parked the car, and are in breach of the terms laid out by the sign.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions