Smart reader views

Posted 29th Dec 2019
So my energy provider Octopus emailed to say they have rolled out smart meters in my area and would like to know if I am interested in for free of charge.

I wanted to get feedback from members here who have smart meters and does it actually send correct meter readings and billed correctly?

Would you recommend the switch?
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
smart meter are free ,you need to know what version they are installing,the 1st lot were not compatible when switching suppliers,which i do almost every year.
jamstaruk197229/12/2019 22:31

smart meter are free ,you need to know what version they are …smart meter are free ,you need to know what version they are installing,the 1st lot were not compatible when switching suppliers,which i do almost every year.

This.

I would expect them to be offering SMETS 2 - get them to confirm though.
I've not seen many reports of a working switch with SMETS2 either, maybe we'll need a SMETS3 standard for it to actually work...

I'll hold off until they can install ones thst actually work so probably another decade.
The only good thing I found about a smart meter was it saved me going outside to read the meter it didn’t save me any money as I was doing exactly the same with the smart meter as I was without it,I should also imagine that it also does the meter reader man/ woman out of a job as the readings are send direct to the company
Our Smets2 display unit has never worked correctly although the meters send accurate readings to my supplier. The live daily usage is correct though and all this does if give me something to complain about when the laundry is on. Doesn't really save us any money as we know already which items cost the most to run but you have to do the washing , have the heating on and girls have to have a 10 minute shower ( lol) .
jamstaruk197229/12/2019 22:31

smart meter are free ,you need to know what version they are …smart meter are free ,you need to know what version they are installing,the 1st lot were not compatible when switching suppliers,which i do almost every year.

Tax payers are paying for them. We need to stop saying things are free, they aren't. We are likely to be a lot more conscious of what we use when the true cost of consumption is visible.
Wouldn't bother, got mine changed to the second version, and its not compatible with British gas and now doesn't work, total waste of time and money. If they actually worked then I think they are a great idea as I always kept an eye on the total for the day
Thanks all. Based on feedback I'll stick to the old fashion way of manually submitting the reading.
bozo00730/12/2019 08:52

Tax payers are paying for them. We need to stop saying things are free, …Tax payers are paying for them. We need to stop saying things are free, they aren't. We are likely to be a lot more conscious of what we use when the true cost of consumption is visible.

actually its not tax payers, its energy suppliers customers. Trust me NONE of the energy suppliers are happy at having to engage a brand new sales team just to annoy you about meters,,then another team to organise and buy hundreds and thousands of meters with hard cash upfront. then another team to organise engineers and bookings for installations. then they have to hire up to hundreds of engineers to install meters..see where this is going?? its additional expenses FORCED upon the Suppliers by the government. hence why bills have overall gone up in the real world as they have to recoup all these thousands and thousands of pounds of expenses. weirdly the press always seem happy to blame the energy companies, when the reality is 100% the government. A litttle research will show you its costing customers @ £420 per household!! like i say most newspapers are blaming energy companies..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions