Groups

smart room/home automation

Hi again, so I've bought an amazon echo dot and want to use it to control my room e.g the lighting. I was wondering what products i could use to do this. I want it to control the lights, a speaker and most probably my computer- on/off.

I have a budget of £100 but can stretch a little. I haven't bought any light bulbs or anything and im still wondering if its worth it to keep it. Thanks in advance

8 Comments

Phillips Hue starter kit with the Hue Bridge. I just ordered the echo dot too so hue starter kit is on my to buy list too.

Hue is the easiest way to get going. You can expand to SmartThings later if needed.

Just be warned though, I have plenty of arguments with Alexa because it just doesn't do what I ask.

I'm just not into these gadgets,I'd rather turn a light off myself than ask Alexa X)

Original Poster

Evostance

Hue is the easiest way to get going. You can expand to SmartThings later … Hue is the easiest way to get going. You can expand to SmartThings later if needed.Just be warned though, I have plenty of arguments with Alexa because it just doesn't do what I ask.

Do you think its better than siri? Im thinking of returning it and using that money towards more lights. Also im not looking spend much and philips hue cost quite abit, is there any other cheaper brands but still work as well

For lighting Philips Hue is the best option for lamps etc. However, for ceiling lights Lutron and Caseta Wireless is a better solution.

Original Poster

ipswich78

For lighting Philips Hue is the best option for lamps etc. However, for … For lighting Philips Hue is the best option for lamps etc. However, for ceiling lights Lutron and Caseta Wireless is a better solution.

Not gonna put them in the ceiling only in a light.

I use the Fibaro system and it's totally crap. So don't bother with that.

I'd probably go with Lightwave RF if I had the choice.

VGamer

Do you think its better than siri? Im thinking of returning it and using … Do you think its better than siri? Im thinking of returning it and using that money towards more lights. Also im not looking spend much and philips hue cost quite abit, is there any other cheaper brands but still work as well

Lightify bulbs are cheaper and work with the Hue hub
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Cheap 'smart phone' for child wanted.22
      2. Ditched Sky22
      3. When is the next Howdens Joinery sale?11
      4. Xbox one region23

See more discussions