Smart thermostat recommendation & deal

Found 9th Aug
Hi

There are few options available like Hive , Nest etc. Is there anyone that you will recommend? Is there any good deal out there ?

Also , can my builder fit it or we need their expert installation?

Thanks a lot
Community Updates
AskThermostat
12 Comments
Tado gets my vote installed myself no problem, got the smart radiator valves in all my room, does geofencing detects when window is open in a room and shuts the radiator off. I think they have a promotion on at tado home page
I have a nest can control it using my google home mini or the app on my phone. I fitted it myself (I do know about electrics though). it learns your habits and gradually starts to adjust things to save energy my bills have gone down about £20 a month due to less heating usage in winter.
cmdr_elito38 m ago

I have a nest can control it using my google home mini or the app on my …I have a nest can control it using my google home mini or the app on my phone. I fitted it myself (I do know about electrics though). it learns your habits and gradually starts to adjust things to save energy my bills have gone down about £20 a month due to less heating usage in winter.

Any specific requirement in installation? Do I need to change existing radiator or valves? & one last question for ground & first floor house do I need 2 of these ?
dhanepud20 m ago

Q1/Any specific requirement in installation? Q2/Do I need to change …Q1/Any specific requirement in installation? Q2/Do I need to change existing radiator or valves? & one last question Q3/for ground & first floor house do I need 2 of these ?

A1/ What make/model of boiler did you opt for?

A2/ no

A3/ do you want to control each floor separately? Nest (and Hive?) don't offer this feature, but its not essential to control each floor separately but of course would be more cost efficient.

I opted for Nest, was also looking at Hive, (bungalow, so no seperate zones required for me) I chose Nest for the learning feature, for a home with an irregular activity, varying shifts etc, I find it ideal.

Consider the fact if your homes' coming and goings are more regular, then a regular timer, which may be on your boiler anyway, may serve you better..?
andynicol16 m ago

A1/ What make/model of boiler did you opt for?A2/ noA3/ do you want to …A1/ What make/model of boiler did you opt for?A2/ noA3/ do you want to control each floor separately? Nest (and Hive?) don't offer this feature, but its not essential to control each floor separately but of course would be more cost efficient.I opted for Nest, was also looking at Hive, (bungalow, so no seperate zones required for me) I chose Nest for the learning feature, for a home with an irregular activity, varying shifts etc, I find it ideal.Consider the fact if your homes' coming and goings are more regular, then a regular timer, which may be on your boiler anyway, may serve you better..?

We still have to select a boiler. We are thinking of combi boiler wocester bosch or valliant. Any particular suggestion?

Answer to your other question, we dont need to control each floor separately.
Even I am getting inclined for Nest :-)
dhanepud43 m ago

Any specific requirement in installation? Do I need to change existing …Any specific requirement in installation? Do I need to change existing radiator or valves? & one last question for ground & first floor house do I need 2 of these ?

No change to radiators or radiator valves, it’s simply a smart thermostat.

I only have one installed but I do remember reading that you can install multiple nest thermostats. There’s a box (heat link) which is wired up directly to the combi boiler, it comes with a wiring diagram and needs some power, it then connects wirelessly to the nest unit which you just simply plug into the mains and connect wirelessly to your WiFi. You will need a stand sold separately to use it in this way. Alternatively you can wire it up directly and fix to the wall. See install guide below:
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 9th Aug
Here’s the diagram for the 3rd gen install nest.com/sup…pdf
dhanepud38 m ago

We still have to select a boiler. We are thinking of combi boiler wocester …We still have to select a boiler. We are thinking of combi boiler wocester bosch or valliant. Any particular suggestion? Answer to your other question, we dont need to control each floor separately. Even I am getting inclined for Nest :-)

hotukdeals.com/dis…592
andynicol6 m ago

https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/new-boiler-suggestion-please-2871592

Yes , but does smart thermostat works with any combi boiler?
Hive has been great for us, although not the cheapest. Have had two lots of two free smart bulbs sent through over the last year or so which work great. Customer service has been excellent, always spoken to quickly on live chat and their advisors are helpful and friendly. Quick and hassle free installation too, just wired mounted a box on the wall next to our combi boiler and one wire leading into it. They’ll mount the thermostat wherever you like as it’s wireless and be removed and carried around the house
dhanepud2 h, 3 m ago

We still have to select a boiler. We are thinking of combi boiler wocester …We still have to select a boiler. We are thinking of combi boiler wocester bosch or valliant. Any particular suggestion? Answer to your other question, we dont need to control each floor separately. Even I am getting inclined for Nest :-)

If you still haven’t chosen a boiler then get an ‘Opentherm’ compatible boiler, you’ll save money and it will comply with the latest Boiler Plus building regs.

Once you’ve chosen the boiler then choose an Opentherm controller, NestV3 are good Opentherm controllers but Honeywell work very well with certain boilers. E.G an Intergas Eco RF works with a wireless Honeywell controller as the boiler has a built in RF module so no external control box needed.
Netatmo or Tado - same product - cheapest on the market and does the job - you can install it yourself.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions