Smart Thermostats Advice?

Found 13th May
Looking at taking the plunge with a smart thermostat but there are so many it's hard to know which is the best value?

Anyone have any opinions or know of any decent deals currently available?

So far looked at Nest, Hive and Netatmo.

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
There are fairly constant Hive deals on HUKD. I got mine off Amazon after setting a price on Camel, had to wait a couple of months before the price came down.. It works great and the installation was well done by BG.
I've had hive for a year. My best purchase. I think they are pretty much all the same, except initial cost and some features which others may not have. But the main stuff everyone covers.

It really is awesome. The flexibility it offers.
Edited by: "EN1GMA" 14th May
Thanks guys! Have to set up alerts on the deals and see what comes on offer!
Is a smart thermoset any use? I can't see what the advantages are. We turn our heating on in the morning and off at night. That's it. Rather have a smart oven that's also a fridge with cameras inside so you can remotely cook and a fridge with cameras inside so you can have a look at what you need while shopping, but a thermostat. I don't get it!
Edited by: "wayners" 14th May
wayners1 h, 10 m ago

Is a smart thermoset any use? I can't see what the advantages are. We turn …Is a smart thermoset any use? I can't see what the advantages are. We turn our heating on in the morning and off at night. That's it. Rather have a smart oven that's also a fridge with cameras inside so you can remotely cook and a fridge with cameras inside so you can have a look at what you need while shopping, but a thermostat. I don't get it!

May not be a use to you then but is to others.
I mainly for mine for winter times when various members of my family who work strange shift hours would leave the heating on manual and I'd get home to red hot house , but now I set up rules that turn it back onto schedule if left on for so long.
And a few other similar rules.
Edited by: "stefromuk" 14th May
wayners1 h, 47 m ago

Is a smart thermoset any use? I can't see what the advantages are. We turn …Is a smart thermoset any use? I can't see what the advantages are. We turn our heating on in the morning and off at night. That's it. Rather have a smart oven that's also a fridge with cameras inside so you can remotely cook and a fridge with cameras inside so you can have a look at what you need while shopping, but a thermostat. I don't get it!

Personally, one of my best buys, if not the best. don't need to go to the wireless thermostat attached to the wall to switch on and off. lots more schedules and obviously we can heat the house up before we get home remotely. before we used to have schedules set but if we went out, well, the house would warm up and cool down, all the whilst no one was at home because we thought we'd be back by a certain time.

now, I can be in bed and switch on/off the rads and when we go out, 15 minutes before we get home, switch on the rads so the house is toasty when we are back and we can benefit from the heat.
Tado and netatmo if you want precise control (as they have smart trvs)
Don't you lot set it to 21c when your there and turn off at night. If everyone is in out as shift work then set the program timer to suite and remove buttons or smack anyone that messes with it. Dose my nut folks twiddling about. Just leave alone. Mind you. Being a tradesman I find it much cooler working in folks houses in summer vs winter when many houses are like the tropics. Lol. Anyway. If you remotely turn down what's stopping folks manually turning back up? Still I guess it's a nice toy and we all like tech toys.
Edited by: "wayners" 14th May
Wayners.
You are partly correct. If you do a routine 9-5 job and are home for the weekends there isn't a lot of advantage to Hive. Set your conventional timer and forget.
However, if you work odd hours, varied every week, as many do in Britain today, it encourages you to change the timer to suit the times you are at home. It is the simplicity of the app interface that works so well and in the end saves money. The ability to turn up the heating on the way home is also brilliant.
I went for Netatmo - mainly because it's the cheapest, has been brilliant so far.
Control it from your phone, set a timer etc etc
wayners6 h, 9 m ago

A ‘smart thermostat’ is now a required element of the building regs for new and replacement combi boilers.

Not only is my Nest V3 my room stat and timer it also acts as my Opentherm controller for my boiler I.e it adjusts the CH water circuit temperature up and down dependant on the outside temperature and the required heat demand from inside the house.
I have an early Hive has a fancy control pad but can't control it from your phone, came with the house otherwise I'd get a Nest. I believe Nest are classed a level higher than Hive for energy efficiency. If I remember rightly if you set the temperature to say 22c then a Hive will turn off when it gets to 22c but the house will keep warming up and reach say 24c. Where as a Nest will learn that to get to 22c it can turn off at say 20c (house dependant) and it will continue to rise on its own to 22c, so you save more.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 14th May
Thanks for all the help / advice.

Just need a deal to come up now, best deal at moment I can see is nest installed for £235.00.

Missed out on Hive at £124.99 and Netatmo at £119.

If anyone knows of any deals let me know!
I opted for Nest.

The learning feature is excellent, in that it remembers your routine, a sensor on the stat recognises when there’s no activity and sets the schedule to match.

As others have said if your household has a set routine a timer suffices, but these come into there own if you work shifts or work away from home for spells.

Plenty tutorials on google on installing these, if you can fit a 13amp plugtop then you should manage to fit a smart stat, barring any complications.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants