Smart Thermostats: Hive vs Nest

Posted 25th NovEdited by:"Taka_nai"
Hi, I’d really appreciate some feedback on these thermostats.

I have a combi boiler (and may be replacing with a new combi soon) and currently no hub but have a 3rd Gen echo dot so I’m keen on making “smart” improvements around the home e.g plugs, bulbs and a thermostat. Not sure which is better. Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

8 Comments
I think Nest integrates with more things.
Nest is "harder" to install but has a lot more benefits as its a learning thermostat
I have a Nest which is great, only con with it(imo a massive con though) is no decent compatible Smart TRVs which the Hive has.
MonkeyMan9025/11/2019 19:22

Nest is "harder" to install but has a lot more benefits as its a learning …Nest is "harder" to install but has a lot more benefits as its a learning thermostat

I wouldn’t say it’s harder to install. Exact same installation as the hive..

Having tested both I have to say the nest is far superior in my opinion
Edited by: "JizzKid" 25th Nov
Nest = Google Development
Hive = British Gas Development

If BG development team is anything like their customer service, expect the hive to set your house on fire
Edited by: "Sloman" 25th Nov
JizzKid25/11/2019 21:00

I wouldn’t say it’s harder to install. Exact same installation as the hiv …I wouldn’t say it’s harder to install. Exact same installation as the hive.. Having tested both I have to say the nest is far superior in my opinion

It's only harder in the sense of hive requires batteries to be wall mounted. The nest requires hard wiring.
Hive thermostat is very good and the app works well.
they have other products like smart plugs and bulbs that can all be controlled in 1 app which I like.
The Hive hub also pairs with hue hub which gives a bit more functionality with hue bulbs - again can be controlled all through the hive app.

Downside is it doesn’t work with HomeKit and is a little isolated. Ie if you have hive bulbs you can’t use hue switches - instead you need hue bulbs to use the switches.

the TRV options will work out very expensive as you need one for each rad.

someone commented on the development teams. Hive are very slow! Been promising HomeKit support for 18 months and still not delivered.

im happy with it but there is room for improvement still.
Thanks for responding. Having read up on the comments and info I’m leaning towards the Nest. Am I right thinking the Nest doesn’t require a hub like the Hive depends on it?

My plumber did recommend the Nest over the Hive. He also said the installation charge would be £60. I’ve confidently wired lighting, sockets and switches but I’m not prepared to diy this.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants