Groups

Smart TV

Hi,

Please could someone tell me if it worth vuying this TV, will be used for general day to day running.

thanks in advance

18 Comments

Original Poster

argos.co.uk/pro…351

or is there any other smart tb you know off under 400?

Depends..... ,if this is your main tv purchase for the next 10 years it might be worth investing a bit more if you can in something like the Samsung 49 inch sk7000 - that's a fantastic 4K HDRtv with an amazing picture.....it would currently set you back £800-900 admittedly but you might get a deal in the January sales. It's worth keeping an eye on John Lewis as they price match other stores and have five year guarantees on all their tv's...

emmoh12

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3921351or is there any other smart tb you … http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3921351or is there any other smart tb you know off under 400?

Not good with other display specs recommendations. Gamut, LED Vs LCD, Energy ratings, Resilution vs Size, jeez...

My opinion would be to look for 4K and UHD (Ultra High Definition) if one are going to spend nearly £400 on a display unit.. I guess it future proofs it.

BTW can't wait for Planet Earth II on UHD from beebs.

pjw7

Depends..... ,if this is your main tv purchase for the next 10 years ...

Forget about 10 years, even the most expensive won't last longer than 5-6 years. Manufacturers not making long lasting TVs these days. And this one you gave a link is not bad for everyday use, as NO programs available in 4K and won't be in very near future. So i would say-go for it. But if planning to watch 4K videos on BluRay or play games, then would be smart move to invest some extra cash into 4K, but having one I can say you won't feel much difference, unless it is 60" and you are sitting close to it...
    Edited by: "Rimi" 18th Dec 2016

Rimi

Forget about 10 years, even the most expensive won't last longer than 5-6 … Forget about 10 years, even the most expensive won't last longer than 5-6 years. Manufacturers not making long lasting TVs these days. And this one you gave a link is not bad for everyday use, as NO programs available in 4K and won't be in very near future. So i would say-go for it. But if planning to watch 4K videos on BluRay or play games, then would be smart move to invest some extra cash into 4K, but having one I can say you won't feel much difference, unless it is 60" and you are sitting close to it...

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never actually got rid of a tv so far in my life because it's died on me...admittedly I've always bought Panasonic until now which has historically had great build quality....will be interesting to see if Samsung match up....but I have my five year quarantee and I'm more likely than to change it in 5 years for different features etc than reliability issues......I imagine.....

pjw7

Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never actually got rid of a tv so far … Maybe I've just been lucky but I've never actually got rid of a tv so far in my life because it's died on me...admittedly I've always bought Panasonic until now which has historically had great build quality....will be interesting to see if Samsung match up....but I have my five year quarantee and I'm more likely than to change it in 5 years for different features etc than reliability issues......I imagine.....

I wouldn't be so sure on that. Was in the same boat and bought the top Samsung model 2 years ago. Within 3 months the screen died and had to be replaced, which John Lewis courteously delivered a new TV to use while it was inspected. Replaced under warranty but does still have another 3 years to go under warranty - can't say I have much faith in Samsung build quality now especially after owning this TV, Galaxy Phone and tablet.

emmoh12

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3921351or is there any other smart tb you … http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3921351or is there any other smart tb you know off under 400?

No. The WD65 has both noticeably inferior picture quality and a lousy smart TV system with minimal apps.

The next model up, the WD75 is nicer picture quality but unless you only need very limited SmartTV functionality you'd need to go to the XD70 in Sony's range, which is £600 at 49".

I don't think there is much in the way of a TV with a full set of smarts near £400 at 49". Samsung and Philips offer their full SmartTV platform, but both are missing apps and the likes of the LG 604v are very sluggish to respond.

Your best bet on a tight budget is to buy a decent TV and an external TV/Stick box that does the SmartTV stuff. Or go for a smaller TV of course.

EndlessWaves

No. The WD65 has both noticeably inferior picture quality and a lousy … No. The WD65 has both noticeably inferior picture quality and a lousy smart TV system with minimal apps.The next model up, the WD75 is nicer picture quality but unless you only need very limited SmartTV functionality you'd need to go to the XD70 in Sony's range, which is £600 at 49".I don't think there is much in the way of a TV with a full set of smarts near £400 at 49". Samsung and Philips offer their full SmartTV platform, but both are missing apps and the likes of the LG 604v are very sluggish to respond.Your best bet on a tight budget is to buy a decent TV and an external TV/Stick box that does the SmartTV stuff. Or go for a smaller TV of course.

I don't know why some people rave about Smart features of TV. Not worth the price. I used Smart features on mine just to play with few times and never ever touched them again. And Sony TVs are more reliable than Samsung or LG in that price range. Panasonic is the winner in reliability and build quality, but comes at price.
    All and all at given price , this TV worth every penny for everyday program watching: satellite or terrestrial.

Original Poster

Rimi

I don't know why some people rave about Smart features of TV. Not worth … I don't know why some people rave about Smart features of TV. Not worth the price. I used Smart features on mine just to play with few times and never ever touched them again. And Sony TVs are more reliable than Samsung or LG in that price range. Panasonic is the winner in reliability and build quality, but comes at price.All and all at given price , this TV worth every penny for everyday program watching: satellite or terrestrial.

​is this TV worth 320 as i am getting 20 percent of the price

Rimi

Forget about 10 years, even the most expensive won't last longer than 5-6 … Forget about 10 years, even the most expensive won't last longer than 5-6 years. Manufacturers not making long lasting TVs these days. And this one you gave a link is not bad for everyday use, as NO programs available in 4K and won't be in very near future. So i would say-go for it. But if planning to watch 4K videos on BluRay or play games, then would be smart move to invest some extra cash into 4K, but having one I can say you won't feel much difference, unless it is 60" and you are sitting close to it...

The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime TV is 4K.

emmoh12

​20%? You have a code? Plz share I would consider purchasing this for 320

Rimi

I don't know why some people rave about Smart features of TV. Not worth … I don't know why some people rave about Smart features of TV. Not worth the price. I used Smart features on mine just to play with few times and never ever touched them again.

Plenty of them are gimmicky, but there are plenty of useful ones too. We tend to use the catch-up players for anything missed or exclusive content (for example Class on BBC Three) and the DLNA streaming to watch recordings from the main freeview play box on the TV in the other room.

Rimi

And Sony TVs are more reliable than Samsung or LG in that price range. … And Sony TVs are more reliable than Samsung or LG in that price range. Panasonic is the winner in reliability and build quality, but comes at price.

What's the evidence for that?

emmoh12

Just grab it for 320 and don't listen to other trolls. You will be happy with your purchase.

Original Poster

leegmiller

​20%? You have a code? Plz share I would consider purchasing this for 3 … ​20%? You have a code? Plz share I would consider purchasing this for 320

​home retail group staff discount

So many Smart TV's don't have all the catchups...
    The Black Friday Bush model had full catchup (BBC iplayer, ITV Hub, 4OD & Demand 5) and also Freeview Play - remember "FreeTime" on freesat boxes - Freeview Play is the same but for freeview, allowing catchup programs to be accessed (availability permitting) by going backwards on the EPG.

Looking over the 48 inch models, none are explicit about their capabilities, though strangely, the Hitachi seems to have exactly the same Remote and Smart menu system as the Bush - I went to the PDF for the Hitachi, and thought I'd got the Bush one by mistake

It needs to become standard across all Smart TVs, I'd be reluctant to consider one without Freeview Play now, as it also means you DO have the full set of catchup services without having to read small print app lists
    Edited by: "matth9999" 19th Dec 2016

matth9999

So many Smart TV's don't have all the catchups...The Black Friday Bush … So many Smart TV's don't have all the catchups...The Black Friday Bush model had full catchup (BBC iplayer, ITV Hub, 4OD & Demand 5) and also Freeview Play - remember "FreeTime" on freesat boxes - Freeview Play is the same but for freeview, allowing catchup programs to be accessed (availability permitting) by going backwards on the EPG.Looking over the 48 inch models, none are explicit about their capabilities, though strangely, the Hitachi seems to have exactly the same Remote and Smart menu system as the Bush - I went to the PDF for the Hitachi, and thought I'd got the Bush one by mistakeIt needs to become standard across all Smart TVs, I'd be reluctant to consider one without Freeview Play now, as it also means you DO have the full set of catchup services without having to read small print app lists

Samsung also have all the catch up apps too.

I think the Sony and Philips tv's with android will have too.

shauneco

Samsung also have all the catch up apps too.I think the Sony and Philips … Samsung also have all the catch up apps too.I think the Sony and Philips tv's with android will have too.

Samsung do not have all the catch-up apps on the current TVs. They had them in the past but they're currently missing All4 (and maybe iPlayer on some models).

Android TV doesn't have them yet as far as I'm aware, so Philips only have iPlayer. Sony provides Youview which is similar to Freeview Play.

This is for their flagship SmartTV platforms, generally all of the cheaper platforms like the one used in the WD65 don't have the full set. I believe that one has iPlayer and My5.

EndlessWaves

Samsung do not have all the catch-up apps on the current TVs. They had … Samsung do not have all the catch-up apps on the current TVs. They had them in the past but they're currently missing All4 (and maybe iPlayer on some models).Android TV doesn't have them yet as far as I'm aware, so Philips only have iPlayer. Sony provides Youview which is similar to Freeview Play.This is for their flagship SmartTV platforms, generally all of the cheaper platforms like the one used in the WD65 don't have the full set. I believe that one has iPlayer and My5.

I guess I'm lucky then, Mines got them all on but it does change all the time and they often get removed when they become unsupported. I didn't buy mine for the smart features, I bought mine because it was one of the best at the time. I use an android box on my upstairs tv and will do when the smart features are disabled.

I use Siptv on mine, It only works on Samsung, LG Webos and AndroidTV.

Makes choosing a tv these days almost impossible lol.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047153
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866383
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7201355
      4. U.S. bombers fly off North Korea's coast in show of force1828

See more discussions