Smart TV Box / Stick? Which one?

Found 5th Jun
I'm quite excited and getting the 75" Toshiba TV from Costco for £1079 delivered next week!

Now thinking of what smart TV media box or stick to get to go with it. I know the TV has many apps installed already, but I read it was missing Amazon Prime Video, which I use frequently.

Looking at the options, I see there's Chromecast, Amazon Fire, Roku, and Nvidia Shield. But I'm getting bogged down in all their features (and limitations), and wonder if someone could help me choose?

Looking for:
  • Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, BBC, and Plex are must have apps
  • Would like a device that supports the high resolution version of streams available. I've got fibre broadband.
  • Preferably a solution with an ethernet port (as I have one right next to the TV), for better connection/speeds
  • Potentially one that can support popular video apps from China (Youku, etc) as my parents-in-law might visit from time to time and I'd like them to be able to access content from their home country on our TV
  • I have a Google Home device, and use an Android phone. My wife uses an iPhone. Any benefits to get a Chromecast vs the others?

Thanks in advance for your valued opinion and comments!
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
My choice would be Roku.
In terms of performance, Nvidia is way above the rest. Amazon 4k is decent too.
zirk14 h, 2 m ago

My choice would be Roku.

I would previously have said the same until recently when they decided one of the apps on one of my roku boxes wasn't to their liking, removed it AND blocked Dev mode so I can no longer install 3rd party app.... . Yes it was an 'Unofficial' app...so what...it's my device!

Yes they REALLY did do that...and to many others as well!
forums.roku.com/vie…962

Contacted them on twitter and they didn't even have the courtesy to reply....

So for now I've gone with an Amazon Fire TV. Interface is a little fussy after the Roku but performance is good and the box is very flexible with all of the apps available and the freedom to install other apps if you so wish....
Uridium34 m ago

I would previously have said the same until recently when they decided one …I would previously have said the same until recently when they decided one of the apps on one of my roku boxes wasn't to their liking, removed it AND blocked Dev mode so I can no longer install 3rd party app.... . Yes it was an 'Unofficial' app...so what...it's my device!Yes they REALLY did do that...and to many others as well!https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=109962Contacted them on twitter and they didn't even have the courtesy to reply.... So for now I've gone with an Amazon Fire TV. Interface is a little fussy after the Roku but performance is good and the box is very flexible with all of the apps available and the freedom to install other apps if you so wish....

Are there any apps that aren't available on Amazon Fire?
boonkoh1 h, 48 m ago

You are limited to whats on the Amazon appstore by default. However like any Android based device you can enable 3rd party app installation and then install any Android app.
boonkoh14 h, 5 m ago

NowTv is a big one missing if your a user of that.
Uridium12 h, 26 m ago

You are limited to whats on the Amazon appstore by default. However like …You are limited to whats on the Amazon appstore by default. However like any Android based device you can enable 3rd party app installation and then install any Android app.

How long will it be though before Amazon decide to knock Dev Mode off the stick?

I reckon the writting is on the wall with this, especially when they are jumping into bed with Sky Boxes and NowTV later this year. You remeber what Sky did to the Dev Mode on its NowTV Boxes.
Uridium15 h, 7 m ago

I would previously have said the same until recently when they decided one …I would previously have said the same until recently when they decided one of the apps on one of my roku boxes wasn't to their liking, removed it AND blocked Dev mode so I can no longer install 3rd party app.... . Yes it was an 'Unofficial' app...so what...it's my device!Yes they REALLY did do that...and to many others as well!https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=109962Contacted them on twitter and they didn't even have the courtesy to reply.... So for now I've gone with an Amazon Fire TV. Interface is a little fussy after the Roku but performance is good and the box is very flexible with all of the apps available and the freedom to install other apps if you so wish....

I didnt know they stopped Dev Mode, must be a recent thing, a way around this would be to use the Media Player or All Connect App on the Roku and do all the Nauglty Stuff on a separate Box of Tricks or an old Phone and then push it to the Roku?

EDIT - Just checked the Dev Mode on my Roku and its still there and working and showing the Rokudev Install page after a Re Boot, haven't side loaded any Apps on though.
Edited by: "zirk" 7th Jun
zirk1 h, 51 m ago

I didnt know they stopped Dev Mode, must be a recent thing, a way around …I didnt know they stopped Dev Mode, must be a recent thing, a way around this would be to use the Media Player or All Connect App on the Roku and do all the Nauglty Stuff on a separate Box of Tricks or an old Phone and then push it to the Roku?EDIT - Just checked the Dev Mode on my Roku and its still there and working and showing the Rokudev Install page after a Re Boot, haven't side loaded any Apps on though.

Dev mode is still there until you sideload an App Roku doesn't like the look of, then Roku remove the app and disable dev mode on your device.
That's crazy that Amazon and Roku want to control what you install, even after they've made money from selling you the hardware!

Nvidia shield it is then... But I see that the current model is 2017. Worth waiting for 2018?
boonkoh1 h, 5 m ago

That's crazy that Amazon and Roku want to control what you install, even …That's crazy that Amazon and Roku want to control what you install, even after they've made money from selling you the hardware!Nvidia shield it is then... But I see that the current model is 2017. Worth waiting for 2018?

Yep, pretty much anything that is developed or made outside of Asia / China are under a lot of pressure now to comply with up and coming stricter Media Piracy Rules and Regs and future clamp downs.

Personally I still wouldnt rule a Roku Box, theres not much you cant do with them, even if you just get a cheapo second hand one to play about with, its only another HDMI port on your TV and will sit quiet happily next to your Nivida.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants