Smart TV Freeview Arial help/recommendations

Posted 27th Dec 2019
hello. I've bought a smart TV for the spare room but I generally use sky, can you buy a slimline Ariel to plug into the TV that can pick up Freeview? any recommendations? i know I can get a q mini but to upgrade my package it's actually quite expensive. I don't have a main Arial to connect to or pick signal up from though...
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
A few corrections

1. There's no such thing as a digital aerial. Aerials are devices to convert radio waves to electrical signals in wires. They don't care whether that signal represents analogue or digital data.

2. Whether the TV is smart or not makes no difference.

3. Decent and well reviewed aerials are generally around the £20-30 price point, not £50+

Whether a small aerial will work (or even an unshaped length of wire) depends on the strength of the TV signal where you are. Being two miles away with a clear line of sight is a quite different situation to being 40 miles away in a valley.

The only meaningful reviews are objective measurements of it's sensitivity or reviews from houses near you.

Different transmitters also use different frequencies or polarisation, so even the experiences of those who claim to be in a similar signal strength area to you are not a reliable guide.

Generally aerials are a trade-off between sensitivity and directionality, with larger aerials generally being both more sensitive and more directional. That's why the default choice across the country is a big external aerial a couple of meters long. If a little omni-directional design worked for most people they'd have long ago been built into TV sets.

Is your spare room under a loft? If so you could consider buying a standard external aerial and mounting it in there, then running the cable down through the ceiling. That'll give you a nice discrete appearance in the room and maximum chance of receiving the signal, plus the option to mount it outdoors if necessary.
17 Comments
Do what people do in prison, buy a long Ariel lead and cut the outer rubber back about 30cm. Wrap the outer wire are a metal bit of the window and stick the inner wire outside the window.
39511911-fUthU.jpg
Arto27/12/2019 14:04

Do what people do in prison, buy a long Ariel lead and cut the outer …Do what people do in prison, buy a long Ariel lead and cut the outer rubber back about 30cm. Wrap the outer wire are a metal bit of the window and stick the inner wire outside the window. [Image]

It’s far cheaper than buying a digital Ariel and a lot better for signal
indoor aerials are hopeless for a smart tv , you can buy the mini boxes from sky now that`s probably your best bet
I have one of these. Absolutely brilliant. I tried it indoors, laying on a shelf, before I fitted it outside. They sell it at Screwfix, though a bit more expensive, the advantage is you can try it indoors without unraveling everything to see how it works. If its not satisfactory simply return it.

Do what people do in prison, buy a long Ariel lead and cut the outer …Do what people do in prison, buy a long Ariel lead and cut the outer rubber back about 30cm. Wrap the outer wire are a metal bit of the window and stick the inner wire outside the window. [Image]

39512024-V2GTc.jpg
That’s on ITV HD

Is this your 'cell'

Appreciate it, thanks....
CraigButler27/12/2019 14:22

Is this your 'cell' Appreciate it, thanks....

Na I’m in a ground floor flat, the cable cost me £8 from Asda. A decent digital Ariel will set you back at least £50 and you still won’t get as good of a signal.
Arto27/12/2019 14:05

It’s far cheaper than buying a digital Ariel and a lot better for signal

I was only joking!
Good idea, will give it a go this week...
CraigButler27/12/2019 14:25

I was only joking! Good idea, will give it a go this week...

Make sure it’s a decent cable and not a cheap Poundland one, mine was £8 for 10m I think
Ringfinger27/12/2019 14:10

I have one of these. Absolutely brilliant. I tried it indoors, laying on a …I have one of these. Absolutely brilliant. I tried it indoors, laying on a shelf, before I fitted it outside. They sell it at Screwfix, though a bit more expensive, the advantage is you can try it indoors without unraveling everything to see how it works. If its not satisfactory simply return it.

Just £30.02 at Amazon at the moment. Some great reviews also. amazon.co.uk/SLx…c=1
Ringfinger27/12/2019 14:10

I have one of these. Absolutely brilliant. I tried it indoors, laying on a …I have one of these. Absolutely brilliant. I tried it indoors, laying on a shelf, before I fitted it outside. They sell it at Screwfix, though a bit more expensive, the advantage is you can try it indoors without unraveling everything to see how it works. If its not satisfactory simply return it.

Another recommendation for this product, works a dream great product. £30.02 on Amazon btw.
A few corrections

1. There's no such thing as a digital aerial. Aerials are devices to convert radio waves to electrical signals in wires. They don't care whether that signal represents analogue or digital data.

2. Whether the TV is smart or not makes no difference.

3. Decent and well reviewed aerials are generally around the £20-30 price point, not £50+

Whether a small aerial will work (or even an unshaped length of wire) depends on the strength of the TV signal where you are. Being two miles away with a clear line of sight is a quite different situation to being 40 miles away in a valley.

The only meaningful reviews are objective measurements of it's sensitivity or reviews from houses near you.

Different transmitters also use different frequencies or polarisation, so even the experiences of those who claim to be in a similar signal strength area to you are not a reliable guide.

Generally aerials are a trade-off between sensitivity and directionality, with larger aerials generally being both more sensitive and more directional. That's why the default choice across the country is a big external aerial a couple of meters long. If a little omni-directional design worked for most people they'd have long ago been built into TV sets.

Is your spare room under a loft? If so you could consider buying a standard external aerial and mounting it in there, then running the cable down through the ceiling. That'll give you a nice discrete appearance in the room and maximum chance of receiving the signal, plus the option to mount it outdoors if necessary.
Aerial should cost £15-£20 installer on average should ask for £60ish so roughly £80.

SkyQ mini is what £13 a month x 12 = £156 if you can get half price deal than obviously cheaper.
It all depends on far you are from a mast. If your address picks up a good strength than all you need is one of these
amazon.co.uk/TV-…Q==
If signal strength is weak even a fancy expensive aerial isn't going to pick up much
Use this post code checker
ukfree.tv/pre…ion
Arto27/12/2019 14:23

Na I’m in a ground floor flat, the cable cost me £8 from Asda. A decent di …Na I’m in a ground floor flat, the cable cost me £8 from Asda. A decent digital Ariel will set you back at least £50 and you still won’t get as good of a signal.

No such thing as a digital aerial

My aerial cost £14 from screwfix and works perfectly in the loft (Signal strength 79 / quality 100). That's split across 3 TV points.
Edited by: "chocci" 27th Dec 2019
Do you need an aerial?

With a smart TV you'll have access to iPlayer, 4od, ITV Hub, UKTV etc via apps.

These are usually part of the internal software when connected to WiFi!

Removing the need for an aerial cable and offering the ability to watch catch-up and livestream with an ability to pause.

I particularly like that you can start a live programme on iPlayer if coming to it a little later.
wolfbane.net/cgi…exe
Analyse your distance / direction and signal prediction.
Mine is 18 miles, Field 64dbuV/M - suggestion = Log periodic - at double this field, it can suggest set top.

However, my upstairs TV works with a flat plate antenna (basically an enclosed loop) facing out of the window in the direction of the transmitter). Signal downstairs is mostly unusable.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions