Smart TV help

Evening all. I'm looking to buy a new smart TV but when I scroll down to the smart channels most say they only have BBC, Netflix and Amazon. I mainly want ITV and All 4. Is there a way of downloading them onto the TV or am I wasting my time? Thanks if anyone can help.

34 Comments

Samsung are, or at least were the only smart TVs with all catch-up services available. Though you might be better getting a better non smart tv and just adding a single like the fire stick to it to make it smart.

I have Samsung tv and it has all the main catch up channels , to be honest I only got that tv for 4K and not for the apps , they were just a bonus , if I was buying purely for the apps then it's best to do what craig said and go for Fire stick etc to make it "smart" possibly something like roku box might be an option aswell , maybe even basic now tv box , you can pick them up quite cheap on the for sale/trade section here

Only Samsung have all the terrestrial catch up apps.

As above, and no it's not possible to download them.

Panasonic and LG Webos 3 will be upgrading to Freeview Play - all catchup by going backward in EPG

I'm unsure what smart tvs are like now. But I bought an LG smart tv from a few years back, set me back quite a bit. (£900 with a small surround system).

I don't remember the model, lg 47lm something. Has 2d to 3d features etc.

But man, the smart features were dog sh*t. I got a chrome cast and it's light years faster than what was in the LG system.

If it's the same now adays, maybe consider a media stick with the features you need.

I wish I just got a cheaper tv and a media stick I would've been better off.

Original Poster

craigstephens

Samsung are, or at least were the only smart TVs with all catch-up … Samsung are, or at least were the only smart TVs with all catch-up services available. Though you might be better getting a better non smart tv and just adding a single like the fire stick to it to make it smart.

Ive found a Samsung smart TV at a good price (I think). Will see how much a non smart TV with a box is. Thanks for your help

Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's help. Its abit pointless making smart TVs but only having selected catch up channels X)

I have just bought the new now tv smart box and it has all of the catchup channels on it, obviously no Netflix or Amazon though as they are nowtv rivals. It has just upgraded our non smart non freeview tv to useable again. Highly recommended.

I'd go with Samsung, as the smart interface is great and it has all catch up as well as download able apps. I've got the smart TV and a shield TV box and find that the Samsung TV is fine for all the catch up TV apps and just use the TV box for Kodi.

So 5 is back on the Samsung, will need to check as it vanished. also doesn't (ours 'H' year) doesn't have Dave series of catchup.
Any of the YouView/Freetime(and now the freeview play version of freetime) based TVs should have all and more directly in the EPG timeline.
But they can be removed on TVs as apps at any time, I guess like C5s apps did on Samsung, plus there is no Dave (and related channels uktv?) app.

But they keep changing and the interfaces keep changing as they faff around finding standards and rarely push new styles back to you.

lisajohnsonxxx

Thanks for everyone's help. Its abit pointless making smart TVs but only … Thanks for everyone's help. Its abit pointless making smart TVs but only having selected catch up channels X)

​it is but it all licensing and money to get the channels on the TV.

Sony Android TV range (you get the google play store). Most all have youview also which lets you scroll back on the epg upto 7 days and play.

I have the one linked below and if you have any questions fire away.
Amazon - Sony KDL50W807C
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 14th Aug 2016

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

Sony Android TV range (you get the google play store). Most all have … Sony Android TV range (you get the google play store). Most all have youview also which lets you scroll back on the epg upto 7 days and play. I have the one linked below and if you have any questions fire away. Amazon - Sony KDL50W807C

Thanks but way out of my price range. I found a Samsung 43inch smart full HD TV £349.99 from Tesco, considering getting that one.

lisajohnsonxxx

Thanks but way out of my price range. I found a Samsung 43inch smart full … Thanks but way out of my price range. I found a Samsung 43inch smart full HD TV £349.99 from Tesco, considering getting that one.

Yeah they are expensive at present. Normally around £450-£500 mark at 43" though with a 6 year warranty. Managed to grab my 50" in the Amazon warehouse deals offer for £350'ish.

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

Yeah they are expensive at present. Normally around £450-£500 mark at 43" … Yeah they are expensive at present. Normally around £450-£500 mark at 43" though with a 6 year warranty. Managed to grab my 50" in the Amazon warehouse deals offer for £350'ish.

Wow, is that still on or finished?

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts

Yeah they are expensive at present. Normally around £450-£500 mark at 43" … Yeah they are expensive at present. Normally around £450-£500 mark at 43" though with a 6 year warranty. Managed to grab my 50" in the Amazon warehouse deals offer for £350'ish.

Just looked at the Samsung TV and it's 48inch, don't know why I thought 43. Also, theres £20 off code atm so not a bad deal

lisajohnsonxxx

Thanks but way out of my price range. I found a Samsung 43inch smart full … Thanks but way out of my price range. I found a Samsung 43inch smart full HD TV £349.99 from Tesco, considering getting that one.

I've also considered buying the same tv from Tesco's. I've seen another 48 inch deal in staples and I'm unsure which is the better choice!

Toshiba 48 inch 4k smart tv staples

Samsung 48 inch Hd smart tv Tesco

I'd appreciate people's thoughts/advice on this?

Sorry I think the link for the Samsung in Tesco's is corrupt however you can find it on the tesco direct website
Edited by: "newb14" 15th Aug 2016

Original Poster

newb14

I've also considered buying the same tv from Tesco's. I've seen another … I've also considered buying the same tv from Tesco's. I've seen another 48 inch deal in staples and I'm unsure which is the better choice! Toshiba 48 inch 4k smart tv staples Samsung 48 inch Hd smart tv TescoI'd appreciate people's thoughts/advice on this?

Ive bought the Samsung TV, due for delivery Thursday. £329 with discount code. The only thing with the Toshiba is I don't think they do all the catch up channels as Samsung do.

lisajohnsonxxx

Ive bought the Samsung TV, due for delivery Thursday. £329 with discount … Ive bought the Samsung TV, due for delivery Thursday. £329 with discount code. The only thing with the Toshiba is I don't think they do all the catch up channels as Samsung do.

Let me know what you think of it please!

Original Poster

newb14

Let me know what you think of it please!

Will do

newb14

I've also considered buying the same tv from Tesco's. I've seen another … I've also considered buying the same tv from Tesco's. I've seen another 48 inch deal in staples and I'm unsure which is the better choice! Toshiba 48 inch 4k smart tv staples Samsung 48 inch Hd smart tv TescoI'd appreciate people's thoughts/advice on this?

Wouldn't bother with the Toshiba, its made by Vestel who make a majority of the budget tv's.
Samsung would be a much better choice.

We have a Sony TV with a Samsung Blu-ray player... get everything we need. Samsung TVs are hit & miss... make sure you return it within the first 28 days if you are not happy.

Original Poster

2minutenoodles

We have a Sony TV with a Samsung Blu-ray player... get everything we … We have a Sony TV with a Samsung Blu-ray player... get everything we need. Samsung TVs are hit & miss... make sure you return it within the first 28 days if you are not happy.

I have a Samsung TV already, just wanted bigger. I love it so hopefully this other one will be the same

lisajohnsonxxx

I have a Samsung TV already, just wanted bigger. I love it so hopefully … I have a Samsung TV already, just wanted bigger. I love it so hopefully this other one will be the same

Hopefully We had an awesome Samsung but the next one we bought was terrible so returned it. Can't really beat Sony TVs for gaming so although we hate the company we are sticking with them. Tried LG earlier this year but had to send the TV back twice so gave up lol

Have you considered buying a non-smart TV and getting a NowTV box for it? That will give you both All4 and the ITV Player, amongst other things.

Original Poster

lisajohnsonxxx

Will do

So, my TV come today. Broke. Delivery driver pulled up with the box on the lap of the passenger. Box is very dirty with a nice shoe print on it and a lovely smashed screen.

lisajohnsonxxx

So, my TV come today. Broke. Delivery driver pulled up with the box on … So, my TV come today. Broke. Delivery driver pulled up with the box on the lap of the passenger. Box is very dirty with a nice shoe print on it and a lovely smashed screen.

Call up Samsung with the serial number of the TV. May be stolen goods by the sounds of it.

Original Poster

2minutenoodles

Call up Samsung with the serial number of the TV. May be stolen goods by … Call up Samsung with the serial number of the TV. May be stolen goods by the sounds of it.

It come from tesco, rearranged delivery next Thursday. Peed me off that it can be between 7am-7pm

lisajohnsonxxx

It come from tesco, rearranged delivery next Thursday. Peed me off that … It come from tesco, rearranged delivery next Thursday. Peed me off that it can be between 7am-7pm

Oh that is bad... we had a similar thing happen with a Samsung TV from Very with Yodel delivering it. No idea if they damaged it or if it came out of the warehouse that way.

Original Poster

2minutenoodles

Oh that is bad... we had a similar thing happen with a Samsung TV from … Oh that is bad... we had a similar thing happen with a Samsung TV from Very with Yodel delivering it. No idea if they damaged it or if it came out of the warehouse that way.

no way to tell I guess. Hopefully the next one will be OK

as mentioned previously, if you are not a cable subscriber of some sort, i would make sure i get a tv with freeview play. this will be the next step in tv freeview and itll be great. alternatively ofc, there are firesticks, android boxes + kodi, and other stand alone players to give you a full range of stuffs

Original Poster

lisajohnsonxxx

It come from tesco, rearranged delivery next Thursday. Peed me off that … It come from tesco, rearranged delivery next Thursday. Peed me off that it can be between 7am-7pm

Update: Recieved new Tv today, box was damaged and dirty again. Screen wasn't smashed and was in one piece so was feeling optimistic.The TV turned on but then went off, then come on, then went off... Won't stay on long enough to do anything so I give up!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Avoiding Car hire excess (Tenerife)46
    2. seller asked for IMEI87
    3. How much would you pay for this chair?1925
    4. Advertised on Gumtree33

See more discussions