Expired

Smart TV only picking up 26 freeview channels

Found 12th Jan 2014
I've just bought a new smart tv, connected it to the aerial socket & tuned it in, I'm only picking up 26 channels, I am in a good area for freeview I've checked, does anyone know why this is happening please?
Community Updates
22 Comments
Have you rescanned for channels?
Yeah, rescan and if that doesn't work, check aerial.
Rescanned a few times, went into manual tuning it says signal strength is 94% & signal quality 100%
sorry for stating the obvious but don't smart tvs need internet connection
Yes I've got that set up for the internet part, need the freeview channels tuning in now
claire7519

Yes I've got that set up for the internet part, need the freeview … Yes I've got that set up for the internet part, need the freeview channels tuning in now

Most likely check the aerial connection
krazyasif786

Most likely check the aerial connection

I've just plugged it into another tv and it found 36 channels,
Have you had another aerial fit since the digital switchover?

which.co.uk/tec…al/
have you tried moving house?
Signals awful where I life, I can get very good signal on ITV pointing aerial one direction, But sacrifice BBC channels, Other way around I get good BBC and ok ITV. I get ITV from Central and BBC from Yorkshire.

I find some tuners don't find the all the channels, Some tuners are more sensitive than others, I'd recommend a booster, Located as close to the aerial as possible otherwise you just amplify any interference etc.
It'll probably be a particular transmission MUX that's gone phuft! Happens sometimes. Usually, a retune a day later (or sooner if you leave it for a couple of hours) will get them all back. Certain broadcasts (regardless of transmission area) are on a certain MUX (multiplex) channel. If it goes down, you lose all the stations that broadcast on that channel.

A while ago, I had all BBC, ITV etc but lost all C4, Film4, + services - as they all broadcast on one MUX channel. Don't panic - YET! As I say, leave it for a while and try another retune/channel update and see if they come back. If you've tried another TV and that couldn't find them all, it could well be the issue. Can't tell for sure though. Time will, though.

Just out of interest, the ones that it can find - are they in a group at all? I.e. BBC1, 2, 3 or C4, Film 4, ITV, 2, 3 etc. or are they random ones that are missing? If you can get BBC1, ITV1, C4 + C5 then it's probably not a MUX issue.
If you pick up more channels on another TV from the same aerial and aerial point then I think it will be down to the TV. Some TVs have a lower quality tuner inside and then generally dont give as many channels despite showing good signal

I believe most if not all areas should recieve all freeview stations by now but check here freeview.co.uk/ava…ity to see what you should get,

Some TVs also have the option to change transmitter (this may give you more channels) the freeview checker should tell you what transmitters are around in your area
Phsycronix

It'll probably be a particular transmission MUX that's gone phuft! … It'll probably be a particular transmission MUX that's gone phuft! Happens sometimes. Usually, a retune a day later (or sooner if you leave it for a couple of hours) will get them all back. Certain broadcasts (regardless of transmission area) are on a certain MUX (multiplex) channel. If it goes down, you lose all the stations that broadcast on that channel.A while ago, I had all BBC, ITV etc but lost all C4, Film4, + services - as they all broadcast on one MUX channel. Don't panic - YET! As I say, leave it for a while and try another retune/channel update and see if they come back. If you've tried another TV and that couldn't find them all, it could well be the issue. Can't tell for sure though. Time will, though.Just out of interest, the ones that it can find - are they in a group at all? I.e. BBC1, 2, 3 or C4, Film 4, ITV, 2, 3 etc. or are they random ones that are missing? If you can get BBC1, ITV1, C4 + C5 then it's probably not a MUX issue.

Hi and yes I get bbc channels & itv, it's mainly the freeview ones that aren't there :-/
RossD89

Have you had another aerial fit since the digital … Have you had another aerial fit since the digital switchover?http://www.which.co.uk/technology/tv-and-dvd/guides/digital-switchover-explained/will-i-need-a-new-tv-aerial/

No never even thought of that as it's in the loft just thought it would be ok, plus we have virgin everywhere else so it's never been been an issue. Thanks
dcx_badass

Depends where you live. In my area the transmitter only broadcasts less … Depends where you live. In my area the transmitter only broadcasts less than half the channels, I think it's in the 20's so yours may be the same.Aerial won't make a difference if that's all the transmitter is transmitting.

My transmitter is only ten miles away and when I searched what freeview channels I should be able to get in my area it came up with over 60.
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8793/bq80.jpg

Makes no sense to me but this is what I got off the digital checker by entering my postcode
This happened to me I had to keep re-installing, after about 20 times I eventually got all channels.
some tvs are set to the wrong region or country and it sounds like yours is.
Each make is different but in your manual it will show you how you go on.

france is often the preset and even though you still pick up the majority of channels they are numbered incorrectly. that is the dead giveaway.
easy fix if its that
Your TV Aerial is not adequate / suitable for your location, it needs to be upgraded or moved.
chrissyy2007

some tvs are set to the wrong region or country and it sounds like yours … some tvs are set to the wrong region or country and it sounds like yours is.Each make is different but in your manual it will show you how you go on.france is often the preset and even though you still pick up the majority of channels they are numbered incorrectly. that is the dead giveaway.easy fix if its that

Ok thanks I'll have a look at that because I bought one of those indoor aerials too that's supposed to be quite good for picking up freeview HD channels and that's only picking up 26 tv stations and 11 radio.
Inactive

Your TV Aerial is not adequate / suitable for your location, it needs to … Your TV Aerial is not adequate / suitable for your location, it needs to be upgraded or moved.

Thanks

This is my last option, wanted to try everything else first as the tv isn't in the main room, we have Virgin everywhere else.
claire7519

Ok thanks I'll have a look at that because I bought one of those indoor … Ok thanks I'll have a look at that because I bought one of those indoor aerials too that's supposed to be quite good for picking up freeview HD channels and that's only picking up 26 tv stations and 11 radio.

Which is the same as the aerial on the roof btw ..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants