Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Smart TVs

Posted 18th Dec 2019
Hi everyone,

Been looking at getting a new television either 43/49/50". Quite limited with space in my living room though but think a new TV on 43" especially could fit if it's pushed forward a little bit and with a new stand.

In terms of best brands, Samsung, LG and Sony I'm guessing are the go to brands? How about other brands like Hisense etc?

Currently, I have a Hitachi 32" HD Ready TV (approx. 5-7yrs old). It's working absolutely fine. Don't really watch much TV but do occasionally (and a bit of gaming on the PS4 when I'm free). Also just feel like a bigger TV would make viewing/gaming a bit more enjoyable on a bigger screen.

What does everyone think? Also, with these new 4K TVs, why do I keep seeing people talking about sound quality not being great? I've looked at reviews for different sets on different retailers' websites and noticed this in customer reviews.

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
Like anything the more you spend the better you get, but to get the benefit of 4K on a 43” tv you will need to sit between 2 and just under 6 feet away anything else and you may as well get a decent 1080p tv... rtings.com/tv/…hip check the link out plenty of info for you...as for sound try the tv speakers you might be fine with them if not buy a sound bar..
I think Bargainhead has summed it up well there , my only advice would be to stick with Richer Sounds , Costco or John Lewis for the long warranty .
Edited by: "mikeportsmouth" 18th Dec 2019
Bargainhead18/12/2019 05:41

Like anything the more you spend the better you get, but to get the …Like anything the more you spend the better you get, but to get the benefit of 4K on a 43” tv you will need to sit between 2 and just under 6 feet away anything else and you may as well get a decent 1080p tv... https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship check the link out plenty of info for you...as for sound try the tv speakers you might be fine with them if not buy a sound bar..

Yes, think a 43" should be okay then but probably not anything above that as would be sat around 2 to 6 feet away from the TV anyway.

Thank you both.
Can't agree with the more you spend the better you get as a general rule when it comes to TVs, many of the extra features you pay a lot for are not that discernible to the human eye, especially on smaller screens . Just nip in Currys or any other retailer with a large range of TVs and look for yourself , make note of a few you like the look of and then check the internet for prices. Richer Sounds and John Lewis are the best retailers to go for usually due to their free extended warranties and price match. The brands you have mentioned all get good reviews but you pay a premium for Sony. You are going to notice a big difference in picture quality over your old one on almost any new TV . I'd go for 4K on 43" and above and also the top of your size range if you can fit it in.
yorkie1218/12/2019 09:05

Can't agree with the more you spend the better you get as a general rule …Can't agree with the more you spend the better you get as a general rule when it comes to TVs, many of the extra features you pay a lot for are not that discernible to the human eye, especially on smaller screens . Just nip in Currys or any other retailer with a large range of TVs and look for yourself , make note of a few you like the look of and then check the internet for prices. Richer Sounds and John Lewis are the best retailers to go for usually due to their free extended warranties and price match. The brands you have mentioned all get good reviews but you pay a premium for Sony. You are going to notice a big difference in picture quality over your old one on almost any new TV . I'd go for 4K on 43" and above and also the top of your size range if you can fit it in.

Thank you.

I will be keeping an eye out over the new year to see if there are good deals available as there's no rush in getting one right now. I'd need to also maybe get a new stand especially if the width of the legs is quite wide on the TV.

This looks okay, doesn't it?

johnlewis.com/sam…289

Only issue really seems to be the negative reviews concerning the silly looking stand which looks too big and wide.

Is there a chance these TVs will be cheaper in the new year/February? If I didn't purchase by end of December?
yorkie1218/12/2019 09:05

Can't agree with the more you spend the better you get as a general rule …Can't agree with the more you spend the better you get as a general rule when it comes to TVs, many of the extra features you pay a lot for are not that discernible to the human eye, especially on smaller screens . Just nip in Currys or any other retailer with a large range of TVs and look for yourself , make note of a few you like the look of and then check the internet for prices. Richer Sounds and John Lewis are the best retailers to go for usually due to their free extended warranties and price match. The brands you have mentioned all get good reviews but you pay a premium for Sony. You are going to notice a big difference in picture quality over your old one on almost any new TV . I'd go for 4K on 43" and above and also the top of your size range if you can fit it in.

It’s not just the extras but panel, speakers, hdr, 10bit not 8bit + fcr...

Put a cheap tv like bush or one of the same price range and put it against a decent Samsung or LG and say you can’t tell the difference..
Bargainhead18/12/2019 09:54

It’s not just the extras but panel, speakers, hdr, 10bit not 8bit + f …It’s not just the extras but panel, speakers, hdr, 10bit not 8bit + fcr...Put a cheap tv like bush or one of the same price range and put it against a decent Samsung or LG and say you can’t tell the difference..

I wasn't talking about budget brands like Bush and didn't mention them. I was thinking of the difference in price between model ranges from the same manufacturer for only small improvements just to give an excuse to charge more money for them. I have also seen many so called High End LED panels (QLEDs , Nano Cell, etc.) that when viewed against a regular LED I can't see much of an improvement , so wouldn't pay more for that. Now with OLED you I can see an improvement but again it isn't worth paying double the price to me. It is all down to personal preferences that is why I advised visiting a shop too.
billmax76418/12/2019 09:24

Thank you.I will be keeping an eye out over the new year to see if there …Thank you.I will be keeping an eye out over the new year to see if there are good deals available as there's no rush in getting one right now. I'd need to also maybe get a new stand especially if the width of the legs is quite wide on the TV.This looks okay, doesn't it?https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue43ru7400-2019-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-43-with-tvplus-freesat-hd-apple-tv-app-titan-gray/p4061289Only issue really seems to be the negative reviews concerning the silly looking stand which looks too big and wide.Is there a chance these TVs will be cheaper in the new year/February? If I didn't purchase by end of December?

That one does look OK and with the centre type stand it would fit on a smaller cabinet, the ones with the legs on the end need very large cabinets to stand on. I would still go in a shop and look at it and may be compare with other TVs , remember you'll be watching it for a few years so a little extra effort is worth it.
yorkie1218/12/2019 11:05

That one does look OK and with the centre type stand it would fit on a …That one does look OK and with the centre type stand it would fit on a smaller cabinet, the ones with the legs on the end need very large cabinets to stand on. I would still go in a shop and look at it and may be compare with other TVs , remember you'll be watching it for a few years so a little extra effort is worth it.

Will definitely try to do that when I've got spare time. Thanks.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants