Smartphone?! BUDGET £80

Posted 13th Nov
      Looking to buy a smartphone for my daughter with a budget of around £80. Don't mind ordering the likes of Xiaomi etc so long as it will arrive before Christmas.

Throw me any ideas and advice for which brands/models to look at as I'm stuck in a whirlwind of phones and totally confused myself at this point!

Thanks folks!!
      Community Updates
      Ask

Groups

22 Comments
      Places like AliExpress and gearbest where the product is shipped from China is a push for Xmas I'd say now as normally about 30 days. You could use gearbest if the product could be shipped from Spain or somewhere in the EU already.

As to product (prices based on quick eglobal check), 83 gets you the Redmi 8a, which although new is super budget.

97 gets you a mi a2 lite which be far better performance wise if a little dated in terms of screen (big notch rather than teardrop). Just over 100 could get you the mi a3 which if you could afford I'd go with.
      Edited by: "doncoop" 14th Nov
      Second hand iPhone 6S for around that budget.
      BadMF14/11/2019 10:51

Second hand iPhone 6S for around that budget.

Bad idea. Do not get a 2nd hand phone, especially an iPhone where the batteries are incredibly difficult to replace (expensive) and there will be no manufacturers warranty.
      ShishaGod14/11/2019 11:08

Bad idea. Do not get a 2nd hand phone, especially an iPhone where the …Bad idea. Do not get a 2nd hand phone, especially an iPhone where the batteries are incredibly difficult to replace (expensive) and there will be no manufacturers warranty.

What a load of tosh, I've just replaced the batteries on an iPhone 8 Plus and a 5C, and neither took me more than a few minutes, and the 8+ battery was less than a tenner and the 5C battery less than a fiver.

Talking there buddy.
      Don't bother with iPhone, you get locked into their expensive eco system and their phones are lacklustre anyway.

Cheap stock Android like UleFone from GearBest.
      At that price it would be hard to beat bang for buck the Huawei P Smart 2018 phone, O2 have it 'Like New' for just £78.
      cicobuff14/11/2019 11:33

At that price it would be hard to beat bang for buck the Huawei P Smart …At that price it would be hard to beat bang for buck the Huawei P Smart 2018 phone, O2 have it 'Like New' for just £78.

The most balanced comment in the entire thread. Respect.
      o2.co.uk/sho…new
      And any unlock requirement is typically £2-3 via the bay.
      Roger_Irrelevant14/11/2019 11:30

Don't bother with iPhone, you get locked into their expensive eco system …Don't bother with iPhone, you get locked into their expensive eco system and their phones are lacklustre anyway.Cheap stock Android like UleFone from GearBest.

Jumping to conclusions there just a little, how is it an expensive eco system? Does android not have an almost identical App Store? At no point did OP say the daughter would be purchasing any apps either way!

Plus, I can guarantee an iPhone 6S will be worth more than any of the budget android handsets mentioned thus far in a years time.
      AndyRoyd14/11/2019 12:31

The most balanced comment in the entire thread. Respect. …The most balanced comment in the entire thread. Respect. https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/huawei/p-smart-2018-like-new#contractType=payasyougoAnd any unlock requirement is typically £2-3 via the bay.

Thanks, and thank you for linking to the phone...I would have done normally but know from past linkages to O2 like new deals that they do not always work as expected.
      BadMF14/11/2019 11:11

What a load of tosh, I've just replaced the batteries on an iPhone 8 Plus …What a load of tosh, I've just replaced the batteries on an iPhone 8 Plus and a 5C, and neither took me more than a few minutes, and the 8+ battery was less than a tenner and the 5C battery less than a fiver. Talking there buddy.

Wow. Someone is triggered! Who can be bothered with that? Who has the time and more importantly the tools to do so? It is extra cost and unnecessary hassle. Brand new cheap Android all the way. No reason to hassle yourself with poor specs/used phones/BATTERY CHANGING (lol)....
      Roger_Irrelevant14/11/2019 11:30

Don't bother with iPhone, you get locked into their expensive eco system …Don't bother with iPhone, you get locked into their expensive eco system and their phones are lacklustre anyway.Cheap stock Android like UleFone from GearBest.

Agreed
      ShishaGod14/11/2019 12:38

Wow. Someone is triggered! Who can be bothered with that? Who has the time …Wow. Someone is triggered! Who can be bothered with that? Who has the time and more importantly the tools to do so? It is extra cost and unnecessary hassle. Brand new cheap Android all the way. No reason to hassle yourself with poor specs/used phones/BATTERY CHANGING (lol)....

iPhone batteries are much easier to change than any android phone,tools are cheap to buy and it's easy to follow a YouTube video.

And I say this as an Android owner.
      Edited by: "Treboeth" 14th Nov
      ShishaGod14/11/2019 12:38

Wow. Someone is triggered! Who can be bothered with that? Who has the time …Wow. Someone is triggered! Who can be bothered with that? Who has the time and more importantly the tools to do so? It is extra cost and unnecessary hassle. Brand new cheap Android all the way. No reason to hassle yourself with poor specs/used phones/BATTERY CHANGING (lol)....

Triggered? Jesus Christ, allow me to retort with, “ok boomer”

You stick to your sub £100 Android, give it a year and see what it’s worth, then do the same with an iPhone.

And poor specs are to expected for an £80 budget.
      mattster14/11/2019 12:40

just follow mr switch:https://www.hotukdeals.com/profile/MrSwitchHe always …just follow mr switch:https://www.hotukdeals.com/profile/MrSwitchHe always has amazing phone deals to suit everyones budget

That's why the first post is a link to one of his deals
      Edited by: "Treboeth" 14th Nov
      BadMF14/11/2019 12:58

Triggered? Jesus Christ, allow me to retort with, “ok boomer” ( …Triggered? Jesus Christ, allow me to retort with, “ok boomer” You stick to your sub £100 Android, give it a year and see what it’s worth, then do the same with an iPhone.And poor specs are to expected for an £80 budget.

I have a £300 phone...this is about the OPs quest for a sub £80 phone so let's leave the politics out of it. I was simply stating that for the average joe, changing batteries is not a simple task, and a brand new UK sold phone would come with 2 years manufacturers warranty. Maybe £80 is abit low for such a phone but OP can weigh it up. No harm done
      £95 Honor 8s may worth consider.

BTW, do not purchase now. Black Friday is coming, there could be phone on sale
      Edited by: "Cisco060606" 14th Nov
      38985365-2FgMB.jpg
      AndyRoyd14/11/2019 12:31

The most balanced comment in the entire thread. Respect. …The most balanced comment in the entire thread. Respect. https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/huawei/p-smart-2018-like-new#contractType=payasyougoAnd any unlock requirement is typically £2-3 via the bay.

Rather buy a Xiaomi for £80, also the phone should come unlock, even if it isn't use the O2 app or log in to your O2 account and unlock it for free.
      Huawei P Smart 2019
      Meh just gonna wait for b lack friday
      Post a comment
      @
        Text

Discussions