Smartphone for around £100: Any recommendations please?

Found 28th Jan
I am looking to buy a new smartphone for my nephew who has a Xperia m2 whose screen has stopped working to touch presses on the right hand side. The radio must have a few radio. ideally like to spend £100, but may stretch to £150 for something exceptional. thanks in advance.
Community Updates
AskPhones
19 Comments
Any particular feature preferences? I.e. does your nephew use the phone for gaming or YouTube so the bigger the screen the better or is it more just for general use? Particular brands?
Also (probably common knowledge but I've just found out) my bank gives me insurance as part of my account benefits that I didn't know and covers accidental damage. I just got my partners phone fixed that had a crack on the back. No quable at all. I had to register her phone as mine tho, I waited a month then claimed. They had it repaired and returned to me in 6 days.
Edited by: "BFCsider" 28th Jan
The most spec for the best value for money, would like to avoid Sony after Xperia experience and have heard good stuff about moto phones. Thanks
It’s not the fastest phone but o2.co.uk/shop/phones/alcatel/pixi4-4 for £20 is a bargain for an android phone.
Edited by: "Dan_Monkfield" 28th Jan
Thanks mate but would like 16gb at least.
Xiaomi redmi note 4 if you want a 5.5 inch screen.

Xiaomi redmi 4x if you want a 5 inch screen.

Search on here for the best current price.
Maybe the Nokia 5? £99 from O2 and consistent software updates.
Thanks for all your responses. Does anyone have any views on the moto phones?

Also are the Chinese phones like xiomi and Huawei reliable and secure, as to spyware on them as alleged against lenovo?

Thanks
Edited by: "SS41" 29th Jan
QVC doing a decent deal today as there tsv may be worth a look !
Xiaomi note 4 is fantastic.
Has to be the sealed global version, it's reliable and secure and gets updates
Edited by: "Sandy1012" 29th Jan
SS416 h, 25 m ago

Thanks for all your responses. Does anyone have any views on the moto …Thanks for all your responses. Does anyone have any views on the moto phones? Also are the Chinese phones like xiomi and Huawei reliable and secure, as to spyware on them as alleged against lenovo?Thanks

As said by someone else, global version is the one to go for, unbelievably good phones for the price, no spyware etc and as secure as any other android phone.

They could charge double the price and most people would happily pay it.

I suggest buying from Aliexpress as they have very good payment protection.

Search for "redmi note 4" and "redmi 4x" on here and you'll see a lot of posts about the awesomeness of these phones.

I've had the 4x (5 inch) for a while now and can't recommend it enough, the note 4 is the one to get if you want a 5.5 inch screen though.
How much does the 5 inch cost?Thanks
SS4112 h, 53 m ago

Thanks mate but would like 16gb at least.

For £10 you can put a 32gb micro sd card in it.
SS418 h, 39 m ago

Thanks for all your responses. Does anyone have any views on the moto …Thanks for all your responses. Does anyone have any views on the moto phones? Also are the Chinese phones like xiomi and Huawei reliable and secure, as to spyware on them as alleged against lenovo?Thanks

Most phones, including apple are made in China. If that's a concern the best known alternatives are HTC or ASUS from Taiwan, LG or Samsung from South Korea, or Sony from Japan.

I had a read up and there's all sorts of potential issues, with software and firmware having potential vulnerabilities just like on any computer, or mediatek (a Taiwanese company) being responsible for leaving a setting on SoCs used in Lenovos turned on and potentially giving root access to phones (so not the fault of Lenovo), or Lenovo installing adware on their PCs, etc. and there really isn't a short answer. I'd suggest doing some searches on the topic if it's a concern but you might end going off the grid if easily spooked)

This article should be of interest for Huawei.
Edited by: "bryanhaines399" 29th Jan
The 5.5 version has better Full HD screen and faster processor.
Sealed global version

aliexpress.com/sto…4xd

£101 for the white colour delivered, fantastic price and iv ordered from them before
SS4112 h, 0 m ago

Oh yeah I meant to say in my previous post, if you're concerned about lenovo and interested in moto, lenovo make those.
If I pay with a credit card would I be covered by section 75?

Also, how long will it last and would I get a warranty?

Thanks
Thanks for all the responses, I have decided that ordering the xiomi is too risky with the chance of import taxes and no warranty.

I think the Huawei p8 lite 2017 for £130, does anyone have any views on this phone?

Or the moto phones?

Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants