Smartphone for specific needs

Posted 9th NovEdited by:"g33h1"
Hi all,

I need a little help in selecting a new smartphone for my partner. Their requirements are specific and there are so many options in the market, I am calling on the experts who have either used such phones or know them to suggest which one I should buy to gift my partner, please.

1. Good battery to last long, even after taking pictures and videos all day
2. Excellent camera quality for both pictures and videos
3. Excellent sound system (some phones don't sound loud and clear even after full volume)
4. Expandable memory
5. Good size of RAM so it runs smoothly
6. Good screen size with really good resolution (partner likes the Sony Xperia series and iPhone 11 series for their resolutions)

My partner is not specific about Android or iPhone and cost shouldn't matter (but obviously not too much pricy as I need to buy more gifts for other friends and families )

The phone should last longer than few years as it doesn't make sense to buy one for one or two years.

Any guidance or help will be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

18 Comments
You may fall short on the longevity requirement. I still have old phones on drawers that will still work, maybe I too 20 years old - but they are not really usable because of the software changes over time (sometimes it's only a few months and things change drastically, that's the nature of technology). I do however, as a back up phone and for tethering) use a 6 year old phone.

Great phones for great value if your husband is not a spy - the Honor phones. They are being heavily discounted because of the paranoia and have great specs. If the issue of the spy fears becomes a problem, simply root it and flash a different OS onto it. There are people doing this now and it's one way round the US embargo.
The Huawei mate 20X seems to tick most of your boxes, excellent camera, huge 5000mah battery and probably the loudest twin speakers on any mobile phone
My friend has an iPhone, he uses a Mophie juice battery pack that clips on the back
And can be wirelessly charged
Example below
amazon.co.uk/Mop…4BP
i think at a stretch you could make a mobile phone last 4 years but in the 4th year, the battery will be poor and it will run slow. i upgrade my phone every 2 years and i find that in the 2nd year, things are starting to deteriorate. i would expect an iphone to last longer than an android phone as apple products tend to be of better built quality and apple supports their longer than the other manufacturers.

i would say go for a high end iphone as that will be more likely to satisfy what you have listed.
mutley109/11/2019 17:25

i think at a stretch you could make a mobile phone last 4 years but in the …i think at a stretch you could make a mobile phone last 4 years but in the 4th year, the battery will be poor and it will run slow. i upgrade my phone every 2 years and i find that in the 2nd year, things are starting to deteriorate. i would expect an iphone to last longer than an android phone as apple products tend to be of better built quality and apple supports their longer than the other manufacturers.i would say go for a high end iphone as that will be more likely to satisfy what you have listed.

I have mixed views on that - it's questionable that Apple build quality is better - certainly Huawei/Honor top end are as good if not better, same for Samsung etc. Can't disagree with software support times though.

@Ringfinger - the rooting of Huawei kit is more of an issue. Iirc, Huawei stopped providing unlock codes a while ago, so there is a limited choice in terms of changing the OS. However, I'm willing to admit it's been a long time since I changed the OS on an android device, so you may have more knowledge than me.
@alg I personally haven't rooted one, but reading about it, it does seen possible and fairly straightforward.

as apple products tend to be of better built quality

That's what Apple want you to believe hence their sky high prices
Samsung Galaxy Note10+
I don't know why you mention iPhone. They don't have expandable memory.

Forgot to say, consider Xiaomi Mi Note 10 if you can lose expandable memory.
Ringfinger09/11/2019 08:40

You may fall short on the longevity requirement. I still have old phones …You may fall short on the longevity requirement. I still have old phones on drawers that will still work, maybe I too 20 years old - but they are not really usable because of the software changes over time (sometimes it's only a few months and things change drastically, that's the nature of technology). I do however, as a back up phone and for tethering) use a 6 year old phone.Great phones for great value if your husband is not a spy - the Honor phones. They are being heavily discounted because of the paranoia and have great specs. If the issue of the spy fears becomes a problem, simply root it and flash a different OS onto it. There are people doing this now and it's one way round the US embargo.

Thank you Ringfinger. I agree that phones can be used for longer but their OS and support stops after few years. I will keep it in mind. My partner doesn't like Honor so I will look at different options.
adamderak09/11/2019 09:00

The Huawei mate 20X seems to tick most of your boxes, excellent camera, …The Huawei mate 20X seems to tick most of your boxes, excellent camera, huge 5000mah battery and probably the loudest twin speakers on any mobile phone

Thanks Adamderak. I will still have to pass it as not liked by the partner.
esar09/11/2019 16:26

My friend has an iPhone, he uses a Mophie juice battery pack that clips on …My friend has an iPhone, he uses a Mophie juice battery pack that clips on the backAnd can be wirelessly chargedExample belowhttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Mophie-Juice-Protective-Battery-iPhone-Black/dp/B06XJ384BP

Thanks esar. If I go for iPhone then yes, it's a good option to consider.

i think at a stretch you could make a mobile phone last 4 years but in the …i think at a stretch you could make a mobile phone last 4 years but in the 4th year, the battery will be poor and it will run slow. i upgrade my phone every 2 years and i find that in the 2nd year, things are starting to deteriorate. i would expect an iphone to last longer than an android phone as apple products tend to be of better built quality and apple supports their longer than the other manufacturers.i would say go for a high end iphone as that will be more likely to satisfy what you have listed.

I agree on the quality point as I have used both types and in past, it was true but in today's scenario, I have personally found high end androids meeting head to head with iPhones. The point on OS is still true and point to remember so thanks for pointing it out.
alg09/11/2019 17:55

I have mixed views on that - it's questionable that Apple build quality is …I have mixed views on that - it's questionable that Apple build quality is better - certainly Huawei/Honor top end are as good if not better, same for Samsung etc. Can't disagree with software support times though.@Ringfinger - the rooting of Huawei kit is more of an issue. Iirc, Huawei stopped providing unlock codes a while ago, so there is a limited choice in terms of changing the OS. However, I'm willing to admit it's been a long time since I changed the OS on an android device, so you may have more knowledge than me.

Yes alg, the phones are getting better and not much difference between two types these days.

The rooting may be tought but I have managed to follow the instructions so I guess it can be done if we get the right OS which is complient with the original hardware.
Ringfinger09/11/2019 19:13

@alg I personally haven't rooted one, but reading about it, it does seen …@alg I personally haven't rooted one, but reading about it, it does seen possible and fairly straightforward.

I agree to it as I have managed to do it for few of my phones.
bobdylan09/11/2019 22:20

That's what Apple want you to believe hence their sky high prices

100% true bobdylan
Cisco06060610/11/2019 00:18

I don't know why you mention iPhone. They don't have expandable …I don't know why you mention iPhone. They don't have expandable memory.Forgot to say, consider Xiaomi Mi Note 10 if you can lose expandable memory.

Spot on dear. iPhone don't have expandable memory. Out of my list now. Gone.
Cisco06060610/11/2019 00:15

Samsung Galaxy Note10+

This seems to be matching to the needs.

What about the picture quality though? I have read that Samsung modify the images and then they don't look realistic compare to Sony and iPhone picture which looks lively and realostic in color and contrast and for the eyes!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants