Smartphone with no side buttons?

Found 28th Apr
Okay, bit of an odd one. My uncle currently has an LG K8, the 2016 one. It's showing it's age so he's asked me to look for something new, trouble is he wants a phone like the LG that has no buttons at all on the sides.

Due to arthritis and how he has to grip the phone for it to be comfortable he had previously always turned the phone off accidentally, or ended up accidentally lowering the volume so he then didn't hear it when it rang. Not an issue with the LG as all the buttons are on the back.

Any suggestions? Not talking flagships here, he hasn't got the money for those. Also, happy to order from the likes of Gearbest etc.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Why not buy another K8 there's plenty for sale on ebay. Just a thought.
Because he's struggling for space after a few updates and it wont format the SD card as internal.
Lg G3?
ndksamb36 m ago

Lg G3?

Thanks but I really can’t recommend a four year old android phone to him.
Wotan43 m ago

Because he's struggling for space after a few updates and it wont format …Because he's struggling for space after a few updates and it wont format the SD card as internal.

You can get a 16GB K8 I think.
Nokia Edge 2017 ? If you can find one.
mrty16 m ago

Nokia Edge 2017 ? If you can find one.

Doesn't seem to actually be available to buy anywhere
MIDURIX59 m ago

You can get a 16GB K8 I think.

Not sure if it has that or not, will check when I see him.
I'm sure u can disable the button's or lock them on most android phones other than the power button the Xiaomi ones have the volume on the same side as the power button if that helps in anyway
MynameisM2 h, 37 m ago

I'm sure u can disable the button's or lock them on most android phones …I'm sure u can disable the button's or lock them on most android phones other than the power button the Xiaomi ones have the volume on the same side as the power button if that helps in anyway

Didn't know that to be honest. Will have a google.
Isnt there a newer version of the K8 available?
Put any phone in a silicon case, he won't press the buttons by accident then.
craigstephens1 h, 19 m ago

Put any phone in a silicon case, he won't press the buttons by accident …Put any phone in a silicon case, he won't press the buttons by accident then.

Tried that. Didn’t work.
master101 h, 58 m ago

Isnt there a newer version of the K8 available?

There is but they moved the volume buttons from the back to the side.
jdrob1231 h, 29 m ago

https://www.42gears.com/blog/disable-hardware-buttons-on-android-devices/This may help!

Hello fellow Glenman, got a tanking yesterday but I'll be back next season (and next week) for more punishment.

To the O/P, there's a 3D printer thread, why not ask on there and one of us will print you a custom case that would hide/ protect the buttons. There's also a guy that is good at designing (although I could probably knock something up), all we need is a few dimensions and a photo or 2. The case would cost pennies although may require a softer printing material than the PLA I currently use.
jdrob1235 h, 4 m ago

https://www.42gears.com/blog/disable-hardware-buttons-on-android-devices/This may help!

I'm thinking this will probably be the easiest way to do things.

GlentoranMark3 h, 35 m ago

Hello fellow Glenman, got a tanking yesterday but I'll be back next season …Hello fellow Glenman, got a tanking yesterday but I'll be back next season (and next week) for more punishment.To the O/P, there's a 3D printer thread, why not ask on there and one of us will print you a custom case that would hide/ protect the buttons. There's also a guy that is good at designing (although I could probably knock something up), all we need is a few dimensions and a photo or 2. The case would cost pennies although may require a softer printing material than the PLA I currently use.

Thank you, now that's thinking outside the box! I'll have a chat with my uncle and go through his options.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants