SmartWatch with strava and music (still!)

Posted 7th Jul
okay - so I did a post on here a few weeks ago asking for a smartwatch with strava, niceish design, music playback and good battery life. Got some great replies, in particular a Garmin Vivoactive 3 with student discount at around 110 or Vivoactive 4s for 180. another thing is if I actually need music - I have a mate 20 pro which is a big phone so I would love to be free from it from runs because normally it is flopping around in my pocket, but I wonder if I need a phone just in case anyway?

so I had basically made up my mind but then tried a galaxy watch active 2 40mm in black and I loved the oled screen but it's just a bit expensive. so now I am drawn to a series 1 active, but I've heard bad things about the battery. there was a hot deal for the silver one but I tried the black and it looked much better, so my question to everyone is...
vivoactive 3 or 4
or spend a little bit more and try and find Samsung active 1 or 2

any other suggestions are more than welcome
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

5 Comments
I have a vivoactive 4. You do not need a phone to play music, it is transferred to the watch. The battery lasts about 6 days for me and I am very active.
krazie200408/07/2020 03:40

I have a vivoactive 4. You do not need a phone to play music, it is …I have a vivoactive 4. You do not need a phone to play music, it is transferred to the watch. The battery lasts about 6 days for me and I am very active.

Is the screen good on it? And what's build quality like. Many thanks
tk220908/07/2020 07:59

Is the screen good on it? And what's build quality like. Many thanks

The screen is OK at best as it is primarily a fitness watch. Easily readable in sunlight though.

If you are after the same features of the vivoactive with a nice screen then look at the Garmin Venu.

Build quality wise, the strap is good quality. The face has a bezel made of metal and hasn't been scratched yet even though I've scrapped it into walls. The back is made from a durable plastic.

Overall the build quality is good. I've had no problems with it . It is a bit on the lightside but I prefer this in a watch.
I've tried a number of watches over the years - Fitbit, Garmin, Apple, Samsung Frontier etc. The best I've used were the Vivoactive HR and more recently the Vivoactive 3 music. Garmin connect has improved a lot in the last few years too. I'd recommend the VA4 or Venu like Krazie has said above. The venu has an amoled screen.

I use my VA3 with the backlight disabled and find it readable during the day, I just tap the screen at night to see it.
Brydo66608/07/2020 09:20

I've tried a number of watches over the years - Fitbit, Garmin, Apple, …I've tried a number of watches over the years - Fitbit, Garmin, Apple, Samsung Frontier etc. The best I've used were the Vivoactive HR and more recently the Vivoactive 3 music. Garmin connect has improved a lot in the last few years too. I'd recommend the VA4 or Venu like Krazie has said above. The venu has an amoled screen.I use my VA3 with the backlight disabled and find it readable during the day, I just tap the screen at night to see it.

Thanks for your reply. I like the look of the samsung active but seeing as I run and I cycle a lot then Garmin seems the way to go for this, and the battery life is also a bonus. The screen on the venu looks great, is it worth ~£30 over the VA4 do you think? I guess I am after something I will wear all the time so amoled should make a difference.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants