SMARTY Mobile, what's the benefit of taking out the Large 8GB tariff, is it just a higher cap? Also, what happens if you don't add any money one month? Are there cheaper alternatives?

Found 9th JanEdited by:"MSK."
I'm thinking about switching over to SMARTY mobile: smarty.co.uk/

Is any tariff cheaper (small, medium, large), or do they work out the same?

If I understand correctly, whichever tariff you choose, you pay £5 for unlimited calls and texts, then £1.25 per 1GB of data.

So it's really just about whether you want to be flexible and have lots you data you could use if you choose, or whether you want to have a hard limit then buy add ons in advance?

I am trying to work out, is there any benefit to taking out the large package. Is there a financial advantage when you get paid back each month for unused data? Or an advantage by earning more data to use when you make a referral?

Or is it just that you have a larger cap before you have to start buying data add ons?

I expect I will have quite a few of referrals to make. If I like it I will move all my family from GiffGaff.

I don't tend to use so much data. 300mb on an average month, 1.2GB on a 'busy' month. Having a couple of GB would be nice to play with. So I am ideally just looking for what is most cost effective. But conversely if I could get more data, I am sure I could make use of it.

What happens if you skip a month?

With normal PAYG, you can just stop when you feel like it. Is that the case with SMARTY? If I chose to buy no calls, texts of data, at I at risk of losing my number because I haven't paid the base £5 a month?

Or can I just go about my business and top up the next time I feel like using my mobile?

Thanks for reading and for you help.
Community Updates
AskMobile
9 Comments
mattsk1 m ago

not sure if this is a decent deal at all on smarty.virgin does 20gb for …not sure if this is a decent deal at all on smarty.virgin does 20gb for 15quid at the mohttp://store.virginmedia.com/virgin-media-mobile/sim-only/pay-monthly-sim.html

Thanks for the link It's just way more than I want to spend to be honest. Overkill for 300mb a month usage.
what do you want to spend? there is never too much data.
once you start using your phone as intended even 4gb wont be enough
Edited by: "mattsk" 9th Jan
mattsk4 m ago

what do you want to spend? there is never too much data.once you start …what do you want to spend? there is never too much data.once you start using your phone as intended even 4gb wont be enough

I rarely go anywhere where I don't have wifi. It just fills in the gaps between buildings. Most of my family are in their 70s, so they aren't going to need much either. I just want to keep the cost as low as possible.

Giffgaff works out okay, but it's not very good value by comparison.
i tried looking but cant find it. there is a HUKD SIM thread with like 6000 degrees hotness.
im rather thick tonight and cant find anything lol.
maybe someone else will be able to help.
keep an eye out for 3 sim only contracts I currently get unlimited texts and minutes and 4gb of data after cashback i'm paying £5.25 per month (£9 if I didn't get the cashback)
I think this is the best £5 deal you can get click.
Okay, so I finally got to their webchat while they were online instead of last thing at night.

- There isn't any monetary benefit of picking one package or another, it's just how soon you want the cap to kick in.

- Referrals earn you a free month, after the person who you referrer's SIM card has been active for 14 days. What you get free that month depends on which plan you have picked. If you picked the small plan, you get 2GB of data. If you picked the large plan, you get 8GB of data.

- If you choose not to pay one month, you can do that and any benefits you earnt will be applied the first month you reactivate the SIM.

But (this is the kicker for me) if you choose not at add money you lose incoming calls as well as outgoing ones. Because it is not a PAYG service, even though it's paid in advance and not credit checked like a contract.

So it's not so great for really low users, because it isn't so flexible if you want to have a break.

Joey.Bloggsy7 h, 49 m ago

Have a look here

Thanks for the link. They don't seem to have dealt with the newer MVNOs in the SIM only thread yet. But I should have another trawl through whats there.

madmaggs1 h, 38 m ago

keep an eye out for 3 sim only contracts I currently get unlimited texts …keep an eye out for 3 sim only contracts I currently get unlimited texts and minutes and 4gb of data after cashback i'm paying £5.25 per month (£9 if I didn't get the cashback)

That sounds like a pretty good price I'd rather avoid a contract if at all possible though. It gets complicated with older folk.

RiverDragon830 m ago

I think this is the best £5 deal you can get click.

Seems like a very similar price to SMARTY, I'll give that some thought thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants