Expired

Smelly washing machine, how to fix it? AWG28017 phillips

Found 8th Feb 2014
Hi, I have moved into a new rental which has a washing machine already installed. It has been a few weeks now and I notice a smell coming from the washing machine/pipes when it is used or if you get close into it and smell it.
The washing machine is: AWG28017 phillips Whirlpool.
I have bleached all of the rubber seal around the door (when I arrived at the property) as the landlady couldn't be bothered to clean it as it had mould spots on it (which I have argued about). And I have opened the bottom panel of the washing machine and twisted a black screw handle which has released some smelly drain water. The water stunk of the same smell the U-bend of a sink smells like after years of use. Is there anyway I can get to the filter to clean it? Or put something into the washing machine which will clean out all the smell? It washes fine and the clothes smell fresh. But I just do not want the smell to take over the kitchen.

Many thanks for any advice,
hopefully someone here has the same washing machine as I don't have a manual and cant find one online!

28 Comments

Dr Beckmann do a washing machine cleaner available from any supermarket chain, alternatively pound shops do their own brand. Do not be tempted to put 2 sachets in together as you will be overflown with soap bubbles coming out of the soap drawer. Just put the contents of the sachet into the powder drawer and set the empty washing machine on a full cycle with a hot temperature and the smell should go.
Alternatively try Milton's sterilising fluid on a hot empty wash cycle.

Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 8th Feb 2014

Had same problem easy solution. Put cup distilled white vinegar in powder section and put wash on with nothing in at highest heat. Problem should be fixed

That's bad that your landlady won't do anything to clean/replace it. Here's a nice video on how to clean the WM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxTSGzyWPAI

I myself use Flash Orange Bleach (usually £1 in asda).
At the end, when it says to use the sachets for a full 90 wash, just buy some Limescale powder and use about 50-75g, that should do the trick!

P.s. The filter at the bottom might have two connections, a tube and a screw cap. I would take the tube out to roughly 15cm and fully drain the water. After that, then unscrew the cap and fully drain the water from that. Clean the cap with Flash and/or Soap and also Flash the hole that the cap goes in on the WM.

A couple of 90c washes with bleach, Also good practise to do that at least once a month, Also a drain unblocker/clearer might help.

Usually. A build of old washing powder in the pipes, a couple of boil washes will clear most, you can try the chemicals after if it's still there...

Original Poster

pman1342

That's bad that your landlady won't do anything to clean/replace it. … That's bad that your landlady won't do anything to clean/replace it. Here's a nice video on how to clean the WM:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxTSGzyWPAII myself use Flash Orange Bleach (usually £1 in asda).At the end, when it says to use the sachets for a full 90 wash, just buy some Limescale powder and use about 50-75g, that should do the trick!

Thanks for the advice, I know, unfortunately not everyone is quite as honest and friendly when it comes to money/property! They just want your rent.
I will give this a go and hopefully it fixes it!

Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice, will keep you posted

My washing machine used to smell. I tried hot washes, bleach etc but since I swapped to using powder instead of liquid I don't have the problem any more.

Zoflora in home bargins about 80p chuck in half a bottle

Jbdesignme

Thanks for the advice, I know, unfortunately not everyone is quite as … Thanks for the advice, I know, unfortunately not everyone is quite as honest and friendly when it comes to money/property! They just want your rent.I will give this a go and hopefully it fixes it!

Just because the landlord is taking your money doesn't mean they are making loads and then not bothering to fix your issues, to be honest a smelly washing machine is not a big issue in my opinion, and I wouldn't bother ringing a landlord if mine just needed cleaning, I would do it myself, there will be a manual somewhere online which will show you how to do a hot cycle wash to clean the machine out, that and a bit of elbow grease will have it looking great, other than that, perhaps contact the landlord and maybe contribute to a new machine?

I started using dettol anti bac laundry liquid in the final rinse, keeps the machine germ free, so no smells anymore

KARGRECOD06

I started using dettol anti bac laundry liquid in the final rinse, keeps … I started using dettol anti bac laundry liquid in the final rinse, keeps the machine germ free, so no smells anymore

Sitting scratching my head here! Why should a washing machine be kept germ free?? oO

aircanman

Just because the landlord is taking your money doesn't mean they are … Just because the landlord is taking your money doesn't mean they are making loads and then not bothering to fix your issues, to be honest a smelly washing machine is not a big issue in my opinion, and I wouldn't bother ringing a landlord if mine just needed cleaning, I would do it myself, there will be a manual somewhere online which will show you how to do a hot cycle wash to clean the machine out, that and a bit of elbow grease will have it looking great, other than that, perhaps contact the landlord and maybe contribute to a new machine?

Are you aff yer heed?

In my last flat there was a fault with the drainage system on the machine which meant clothes were essentially getting washed in dirty water and it made our clothes stink so it actually is quite a big issue if you can't wash any of clothes!

Washing machines live longer with calgon

If your water outlet runs into a sink waste pipe there should be a no-return valve. Take it apart & clean it, sometimes they clog up & stick open so the drain smells waft into the washing machine. Also when not in use leave the door wide open so it dries out inside.

as said, use washing machine cleaner from wilkos etc on a 90c wash

also, use powder as it stops bacterial build up, unlike liquid. its also far cheaper than liquid and cleans clothes far better,

which tested them recently and the best liquid was worse than the worst powder

As others have said get some washing machine cleaner and use that on a high wash with no clothes inside.

Before you do that, what I would do is take the pipe out from the back and hose it down in the back garden and see what comes out. Also take the front screw out of the washine machine and let all the liquid drain. Put it all back and then use the washine machine cleaner.

Once that is done leave the washine machine door open and let it all dry out.

I got a free sample of Buster sanitiser, which I used for plugholes, but it said you could use for washing m/c's as well. It wouldn't hurt to ask them for a free sample. They can only say no.

Also, remove the powder drawer from the machine and clean inside the casing, get a toothbrush to remove any build up on the roof of the aperture and scrape off any dried leftover washing liquid. the smell might also be coming from there. After you do any wash leave the drawer open and the door to let the air circulate for a bit and this will also help any mildew/bacteria from forming.

dereklogan7

Are you aff yer heed?

Not really, I used to rent out a house years ago and the tenant would ring because of a light bulb, I have rented property myself and if minor things went wrong, I would just fix them myself, so when the major things go wrong like a boiler did, the landlord had no hesitation in replacing it, and I know he would have seen me as a good tenant, not a nightmare that would ring every five minutes to change a plug or bulb.

Original Poster

aircanman

Just because the landlord is taking your money doesn't mean they are … Just because the landlord is taking your money doesn't mean they are making loads and then not bothering to fix your issues, to be honest a smelly washing machine is not a big issue in my opinion, and I wouldn't bother ringing a landlord if mine just needed cleaning, I would do it myself, there will be a manual somewhere online which will show you how to do a hot cycle wash to clean the machine out, that and a bit of elbow grease will have it looking great, other than that, perhaps contact the landlord and maybe contribute to a new machine?

I paid a cleaning fee when moving into the property, so this should have been done. You do not expect a washing machine to be in such a state when you move in.
I would do it myself if I could get to half of the components, unfortunately I have not got arms that are shapes like tiny tubes to weave through the washing machine pipes to clean them out! I will try some of the things mentioned through.
As for contributing to a new washing machine, are you serious or just trolling...

Original Poster

aircanman

Not really, I used to rent out a house years ago and the tenant would … Not really, I used to rent out a house years ago and the tenant would ring because of a light bulb, I have rented property myself and if minor things went wrong, I would just fix them myself, so when the major things go wrong like a boiler did, the landlord had no hesitation in replacing it, and I know he would have seen me as a good tenant, not a nightmare that would ring every five minutes to change a plug or bulb.

A broken lightbulb is a bit different to a broken washing machine that stinks... It's in her best interest as it will be her flat which is damaged and smells thanks to the smell which wasn't cleaned up before I moved in.
Landlords should take responsibility for items they leave in the flat. Including the fridge door which was broken when I moved in which I spend £20 and 2 hours fixing. I have done lots to rectify problems with the flat, have just hit the limit.

Original Poster

g1bbuk

If your water outlet runs into a sink waste pipe there should be a … If your water outlet runs into a sink waste pipe there should be a no-return valve. Take it apart & clean it, sometimes they clog up & stick open so the drain smells waft into the washing machine. Also when not in use leave the door wide open so it dries out inside.

Will look into this when I get back, sounds like a good idea being as the smell seems to come from the sink plug also whilst the washing machine is on!
Will perhaps try a few cleaning agents too to solve it. Thanks

Original Poster

I tried pretty much everything mentioned here over the past week. Including the Wilkinsons washing machine cleaning powders. It has definitely reduced the smell but it is still there... I'm guessing it is something deep within the washing machine. Thanks for everyone's help!

Jbdesignme

I tried pretty much everything mentioned here over the past week. … I tried pretty much everything mentioned here over the past week. Including the Wilkinsons washing machine cleaning powders. It has definitely reduced the smell but it is still there... I'm guessing it is something deep within the washing machine. Thanks for everyone's help!

if you have switched to powder then this will eventually clean the machine (unlike liquid which makes it smell)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants