Smoke Alarm fitting question

Posted 25th Aug
Hi
can I fit a smoke alarm using double sided tape. instead of screws?
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Until the heat makes it fall off and becomes ineffective.
14 Comments
Yes I have but make sure it’s super strong tape
Until the heat makes it fall off and becomes ineffective.
Use mammoth tape or similar
Yes, but it will give way eventually. Ours crashed to earth after 3-4 years. Not bad
Edited by: "Gollywood" 25th Aug
Make sure you can still remove the alarm to change the batteries - if using a battery operated model.
Just put the screws in. You will need the firmness to change the batteries.

As mentioned above by @captainbeaky
The battery tends to put downward pressure on the alarm so best to screw in if you can.
Willy_Wonka25/08/2020 23:30

Just put the screws in. You will need the firmness to change the …Just put the screws in. You will need the firmness to change the batteries. As mentioned above by @captainbeaky

Yep. Most smoke alarms come a fixing plate - usually held to the ceiling with screws. You’ll need to need to be able to detach the the alarm from the fixing to change the batteries.
mutley125/08/2020 23:53

The battery tends to put downward pressure on the alarm so best to screw …The battery tends to put downward pressure on the alarm so best to screw in if you can.

lol. The plate of the unit is attached to the ceiling with screws so you can turn the unit to replace the batteries.
captainbeaky26/08/2020 00:01

Yep. Most smoke alarms come a fixing plate - usually held to the ceiling …Yep. Most smoke alarms come a fixing plate - usually held to the ceiling with screws. You’ll need to need to be able to detach the the alarm from the fixing to change the batteries.

I said the same above but my comment is still being assessed
Fit the holding plate with screws securely, you dont want your alarm on the floor if there is a actual fire
Edited by: "_Tris_" 26th Aug
Use hook and Loop command strips, amazing how much weight they will carry.
Uridium26/08/2020 15:24

Use hook and Loop command strips, amazing how much weight they will carry.

I was going to suggest these too. I have about 6 of them holding a huge framed picture on the wall. It's not going anywhere so one or two on a smoke alarm would be perfect.
Post a comment
@
    Text